Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this front rack useful?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is this front rack useful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18489 Post(s)
Liked 15,784 Times in 7,411 Posts
And who doesn't love pie?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-18-23, 08:22 AM

You can even transport your best friend.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-18-23, 08:27 AM

Say "Cheese!". Lots of hills on that road.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-18-23, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 460 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I've got your moment of inertia right here. HTFU.

You're getting emotional Indy. I've already addressed this. See the last two paragraphs of my previous post.

One other point: in case you hadn't noticed, the racks in OP's question cannot carry front panniers. They ONLY have the high platform. So let me ask you: how did that firewood handle when you didn't have the low panniers to provide compensation? Don't answer, I already know.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Evading the Censor
Old 11-19-23, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yan
You're getting emotional Indy. I've already addressed this. See the last two paragraphs of my previous post.

One other point: in case you hadn't noticed, the racks in OP's question cannot carry front panniers. They ONLY have the high platform. So let me ask you: how did that firewood handle when you didn't have the low panniers to provide compensation? Don't answer, I already know.
I’M getting emotional?!?!

You’re the one evading the censor to express your emotions, which is a no no here.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Cleanup / Evading the Censor
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-19-23, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 1,316 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Today I learned that having wheel flop is considered "better" by some people.

I'm currently, at this very moment, six months into a one year vacation cycling around the world. I've also in the past bicycled across Europe and Asia twice. Racks, panniers, bar bags, frame bags, saddlebags, baskets, trailers, if it exists under the sun, I've tried it. I ride a custom touring bike made to my body measurements by a framebuilder.

I know how heavy loads work on bicycles. Do you?
Insert slow clap here.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-19-23, 11:01 AM

I get excited about my pies, man.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-19-23, 11:16 AM

I’M getting emotional?!?!
I get excited about my pies, man.
Originally Posted by phughes
Insert slow clap here.
You're welcome.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions or need anything else explained.
Old 11-19-23, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yan
You're welcome.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions or need anything else explained.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-19-23, 08:34 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,581 Times in 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

One other point: in case you hadn't noticed, the racks in OP's question cannot carry front panniers. They ONLY have the high platform. So let me ask you: how did that firewood handle when you didn't have the low panniers to provide compensation? Don't answer, I already know. Like dog sh*t.

This is from an errands ride yesterday. Basket and platform front rack. It had 18# of produce at one point and steered fine.
Yes, it's a town ride vs touring. Thing is, the OP didn't ask about touring and actually asked about how they would be for local town riding. Thars what you responded to, and then went on a touring rant over.
Heck, you even acknowledge they can be fine for in town riding, which is what the OP asked about.
All the rest of your posts where you talk about touring is just filler.

As for a front rack on touring, to each their own, bud. You do you and others do their way. It seems comical, and frankly on brand, for you to declare there is one way to do things and everyone else is wrong.
Again, maybe they are just not as scared of how a bike with weight in the front handles. Maybe they are just not as sensitive with weight on the front. Maybe their geometry is different than yours. Etc etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-20-23, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

As for a front rack on touring, to each their own, bud. You do you and others do their way. It seems comical, and frankly on brand, for you to declare there is one way to do things and everyone else is wrong.
Definitely on brand. For his sake, I hope it’s intentional and insincere.

And Robert Beckman didn’t gain the reputation he did by making racks without front platforms.
Old 11-20-23, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yan
You're welcome.

Awesome! Yes, please explain how, with all the experience you already detailed, in excruciatingly boring detail, how it is you cannot ride a bike with a front rack. Thanks in advance.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-20-23, 07:43 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by user1617
Consider the front racks in this image:

What are they good for?
If I put on it my high school bag it will fall after the first turn.
Any thoughts about it?
You will find that rack or one very similar on about half of all bikes in the Netherlands. They are excellent for pizza, milk crates, yoga mats, bouquets of flowers, baguettes, and and whatever else you want to carry. The good ones mount to the frame independent of any steering action. Cortina is the brand I most associate with the one in the picture on the left. You'll find the 3 hole head tube mount on some Bromptons and occasionally on folding bikes, cargo bikes and other Minivelos.

I don't know your location, but here is one (Minivelo made or at least popular in Japan, I think) imported to the United States by Merry Sales/Soma https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...argo-frame-set

As has been discussed, wheel flop is a consideration with load capacity. More rake/less trail will be less "floppy" & will tend to behave better than high flop, high trail bikes. Porteur bikes have very little if any to keep exceedingly heavy loads managable. High flop/high trail just requires more effort to effect the desired maneuver.

Frame mounted above the wheels contact patch/wheel axle is the best of the available options. As far as the bike is concerned you, the rider are just heavier that day. Low rider racks & hanging things of the forks invites all manner of complications into the mix because the load is an active part of any steering or balance function.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-22-23, 07:26 AM

Awesome! Yes, please explain how, with all the experience you already detailed, in excruciatingly boring detail, how it is you cannot ride a bike with a front rack. Thanks in advance.
Here's the explanation you requested:

You typed "front rack". I assume this is a typo because our previous discussion was never about all front racks. Our previous discussion was only about the specific racks in the OP's pictures. We need to be specific because there are plenty of good front racks that do not handle poorly. It is very important that we be able to tell the difference between good front racks and bad ones (which you apparently cannot).

But anyway, to answer your question: I am physically capable of riding this type of racks, however since I have a choice in what bikes I ride, I decided to avoid bikes that handle poorly. Because I have good taste in preferring the most pleasurable cycling possible (unlike you).

Understand now?

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Evading the Censor
Old 11-22-23, 12:25 PM

You’re just trying to make him more emotional.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-23, 02:06 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Yan

You typed "front rack". I assume this is a typo because our previous discussion was never about all front racks. Our previous discussion was only about the specific racks in the OP's pictures. We need to be specific because there are plenty of good front racks that do not handle like dog sh*t. It is very important that we be able to tell the difference between good front racks and bad ones (which you apparently cannot).

But anyway, to answer your question: I am physically capable of riding this dog sh*t type of racks, however since I have a choice in what bikes I ride, I decided to avoid bikes that handle like dog sh*t. Because I have good taste in preferring the most pleasurable cycling possible (unlike you).

Understand now?
Hold up- the discussion was also about riding around town(lashing a backpack was mentioned), yet you went rambled on about touring as a defense to your initial extreme claim. You even acknowledged that its a legitimate view to not prioritize handling if its a town bike(which these appear to be and the OP implies). Lets not get too high and mighty about someone not staying perfectly on topic, lest you want your glass house to shatter.

You claimed both racks will make the bike handle terribly. I dont see anything about the step-thru's porteur rack that will ensure it handles terribly.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-22-23, 04:59 PM

You claimed both racks will make the bike handle terribly. I dont see anything about the step-thru's porteur rack that will ensure it handles terribly.
This has been addressed in paragraph 2 of post #29.
Old 11-22-23, 05:08 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,082 Times in 2,720 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

You typed "front rack". I assume this is a typo because our previous discussion was never about all front racks. Our previous discussion was only about the specific racks in the OP's pictures. We need to be specific because there are plenty of good front racks that do not handle poorly. It is very important that we be able to tell the difference between good front racks and bad ones (which you apparently cannot).

But anyway, to answer your question: I am physically capable of riding this type of racks, however since I have a choice in what bikes I ride, I decided to avoid bikes that handle poorly. Because I have good taste in preferring the most pleasurable cycling possible (unlike you).

Understand now?
I think your problem is you are using racks made out of a canines fecal matter instead of steel, aluminum or titanium those tend to work better as a front rack material.

My Cinelli Mash Work that I built up as the Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine has a Nitto cantilever mounted rack and it is fantastic but I chose a steel rack on this one. It rides just fine no issues with bag and weight and without. The Specialized Como 5.0 or other models with the Pizza Rack added rode great as well but that one is an aluminum rack not made of any sort of fecal matter.

If you have a problem with bike handling that comes with riding more and practice. I know it is working for me with mountain biking and has worked in the past with my road riding as well. When riding with a front rack it can take some getting used to so that might be a huge part of your real issue beyond the rack material. Ride more and slowly increase the weight as you start to get more comfortable.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 11-22-23, 05:11 PM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Yan
This has been addressed in paragraph 2 of post #29.
Mmm, I was trying to throw you a bit of a bone. That high trail design isn't great for a front load and had a low trail fork been used, it would create an I herently more stable front end when riding with gear in atop the rack.

But really- that rack will work fine to hold some stuff and nobody will just crash suddenly because the rack is carrying some weight.
Yes, weight further from the steering axis weight is less ideal than weight close to the steering axis. No, it isn't some disaster waiting to happen.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-22-23, 05:29 PM

Mmm, I was trying to throw you a bit of a bone. That high trail design isn't great for a front load and had a low trail fork been used, it would create an I herently more stable front end when riding with gear in atop the rack.

But really- that rack will work fine to hold some stuff and nobody will just crash suddenly because the rack is carrying some weight.
Yes, weight further from the steering axis weight is less ideal than weight close to the steering axis. No, it isn't some disaster waiting to happen.
That's not all. It also has bars that give it an effective stem length of zero, which is another factor that will make its steering unstable.

It's designed as a fashion item, that's about it. No doubt it will sell because the general public knows next to nothing about bikes.

Last edited by Yan; 11-22-23 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Yan
That's not all. It also has bars that give it an effective stem length of zero, which is another factor that will make its steering unstable.

It's designed as a fashion item, that's about it. No doubt it will sell because the general public knows next to nothing about bikes.
I have never had any issue with short stems making steering unstable. The most it will do is feel different for a short time, as in less than a mile. I even like boxcar stems with zero length. It's a non-issue.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-22-23, 07:15 PM

I have never had any issue with short stems making steering unstable. The most it will do is feel different for a short time, as in less than a mile. I even like boxcar stems with zero length. It's a non-issue.
Shorter stems are more twitchy. Longer stems are more stable. That's usually a matter of preference and fit but for a bike with this style of front rack, twitchy on top of the problems you already have is the last thing you want. When someone says short stem in the context of a steering speed discussion, they usually mean 6-7cm being short vs 10-11cm being average vs 13+cm being long. Zero is frankly extreme.

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...-and-handling/
https://www.cyclingabout.com/steerin...teering-speed/

Last edited by Yan; 11-22-23 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-22-23, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
I've ridden most of my life with rear racks. I recently got a Mongoose Elroy that came with a front rack.
https://www.mongoose.com/products/elroy

I strapped my rack bag to the top of it and I've been riding that way for a month or two now. It's not growing on me. I don't like all that weight through the bars. It also catches crosswinds, which want to steer the bike. And it (the rack bag on top of the rack) blocks part of the beam from my headlight. At some point in the future, I'll probably remove the rack and replace it with a rear rack. I'm not finding the frame bag all that useful, either; I'd rather just toss stuff in the rack bag or (on my other bikes) the panniers. Also, this frame bag is bolted to the frame, so I can't easily take it inside with me.
Likes For RichSPK:
Old 11-22-23, 08:53 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,464 Posts
Moderation Note. Well, going around / evading the censor is not allowed at BF and is an infraction. And we did a lot of cleanup to fix all the quoted remarks as well as the offending posts. Yan Please leave the thread.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-23-23, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just for mail run, easy on & off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BIKE BASKET.jpg (50.5 KB, 52 views)
Likes For BK007:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.