Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Spring is here! who is contemplating their first commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Spring is here! who is contemplating their first commute?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 11:36 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
My first commute of the year was 2 January.

The only days I have skipped so far were the ones the office was shut down for snow-- and there's only been one of those. I love the South.
Mine too, but we had a few more snow days up here. My first commute to work was last Saturday and my first trip was last Wednesday, out before I've done my annual maintenance.
Old 03-17-15, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The first glorious spring day sometimes seems like a first commute ever. It just doesn't get old, does it?
Old 03-17-15, 11:44 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I don't bike on ice, and this time of year is a bit frustrating as the snow banks melt out onto the road in the afternoon, and that meltwater freezes overnight. So every morning, large sections near the curb are covered by thin layers of smooth ice, yet the centre of the road is dry and clear.

I'm out of town this week, Monday to Thursday but hoping most of the snow will be gone when I get home, and I can ride to work Friday, or at least by Monday.
Old 03-17-15, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
We had a fairly mild winter and it was very warm (for March) last week, - 70 on Sunday. It's cooled down closer to normal but what little snow we had is gone so most everything is dry. Some mixed precip is possible later this week so I might have to worry about ice. The winter bike is ready if I need it.

Next week also looks dry and I'm gone for almost two weeks after that. There's a good possibility that I'm done with studded tires for this year. As happy as I am about that, having this little moisture this early in the year isn't a good thing.
Old 03-17-15, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomGal
so yesterday morning i said 'to heck with getting my money's worth out of my bus pass, i want to ride my bike!'

to and from work yesterday, and so far to work today. ahhhhhhh! dang that feels good. the wind whipping in my face might not be so fun on the way home today, but hey, it makes one feel alive to fight mr weathermaker and win.

it's only 60 blocks each way, and other than one long climb of a hill, nice and easy ride. my record to work is 14 minutes, and that was last season in the peak of fitness. yesterday i did it in 17, and today in 18 minutes. not bad for start of season i think.
Fun stuff! Don't worry about how long it takes. In fact, when it is nice out and you have the time, take some detours, stop by a park or explore a neighborhood.
Old 03-17-15, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Fun stuff! Don't worry about how long it takes. In fact, when it is nice out and you have the time, take some detours, stop by a park or explore a neighborhood.
It's all industrial/commercial on the way, nothing pretty to look at unfortunately, and nowhere to stop or enjoy en route. i've lived in the area for many many years (grew up a few blocks away from where i live now) and i joke that somebody could blindfold me, drop me off somewhere in the area with a bike, and i'd meet them anywhere in this whole quadrant of the city within ten minutes.

i like pushing myself, to see if i can better what i did before. it's like a game i play with myself, lol
Old 03-17-15, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a co-worker tell me that it's too cold to ride. It's 60F outside and sunny. :facepalm: He went on to say that he rides about one month a year.

This is at a company that pays $350/quarter for riding, has showers and locker rooms, and sheltered bike parking.
Old 03-17-15, 01:16 PM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
I just had a co-worker tell me that it's too cold to ride. It's 60F outside and sunny. :facepalm: He went on to say that he rides about one month a year.

This is at a company that pays $350/quarter for riding, has showers and locker rooms, and sheltered bike parking.
You can lead a horse to water...
Old 03-17-15, 01:17 PM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
We had a fairly mild winter and it was very warm (for March) last week, - 70 on Sunday. It's cooled down closer to normal but what little snow we had is gone so most everything is dry. Some mixed precip is possible later this week so I might have to worry about ice. The winter bike is ready if I need it.

Next week also looks dry and I'm gone for almost two weeks after that. There's a good possibility that I'm done with studded tires for this year. As happy as I am about that, having this little moisture this early in the year isn't a good thing.
I'm so confident, I washed the winter-commuter. But it still has studs mounted... I just found this picture from last year (April 16):

NEVER trust Minnesota weather!
Old 03-17-15, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm so confident, I washed the winter-commuter. But it still has studs mounted... I just found this picture from last year (April 16):

Yeah, it could happen. Two years ago it seemed like every Thursday in April was another snow storm. Those last two winters were beasts though.

Doesn't feel like it's going to be that way this year. Ground is already mostly thawed and absorbing heat from the sun since the snow cover is gone. Ice will be off the lakes soon so those will be absorbing heat too. Makes for a pretty hostile environment for snow accumulation.

Last edited by tjspiel; 03-17-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 01:49 PM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Doesn't feel like it's going to be that way this year. Ground is already mostly thawed and absorbing heat from the sun since the snow cover is gone. Ice will be off the lakes soon so those will be absorbing heat too. Makes for a pretty hostile environment for snow accumulation.
I agree! Just hurts my head to think about how different 2015 is from 2014 and 2013. NOT COMPLAINING!
Old 03-17-15, 01:54 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Always nice to see new faces around the Commuting forum. Share your experiences, don't be afraid to ask newb questions.

The studs are off of my bike -- I'm not usually this optimistic in mid-March, but the days have gotten so warm that there's hardly any snow left to melt and refreeze. I'll take it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-17-15, 02:10 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5229 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
I just had a co-worker tell me that it's too cold to ride. It's 60F outside and sunny. :facepalm: He went on to say that he rides about one month a year. This is at a company that pays $350/quarter for riding, has showers and locker rooms, and sheltered bike parking.
holy cow! are they hiring?
Old 03-17-15, 04:16 PM
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm so confident, I washed the winter-commuter. But it still has studs mounted...
Chicago weather isn't much more predictable, and I'm waiting to wash the grime off my bike. It's still got dirt on it from last year. And maybe the year before!
Old 03-17-15, 04:59 PM

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
holy cow! are they hiring?
Sign me up, too!

I made my first commute of the year Monday. Aside from dodging icy patches in the road, it went pretty well. My only real complaint was that the bike rack at work is still behind a 4' pile of snow.
Old 03-18-15, 10:57 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Crescent moon this morning

Did my commute in this morning. 20 Degrees in the dark. Brrr. The Crescent moon rise about an hour before sunrise was breathtaking...
Old 03-18-15, 02:11 PM
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just like to be thanked for all the clearing of the paths and road sides that we have done for you over the winter. Clearing of the spitting rocks, clearing of the sharp objects that caused us to change flat tires with gloved hands. The continuous commutes that created the awareness of us for car commuters.
Just a little thank you would suffice.
V
Old 03-20-15, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 1/8th inch Scrambler FG, Masi Coltello FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velocity
I would just like to be thanked for all the clearing of the paths and road sides that we have done for you over the winter. Clearing of the spitting rocks, clearing of the sharp objects that caused us to change flat tires with gloved hands. The continuous commutes that created the awareness of us for car commuters.
Just a little thank you would suffice.
V

THANK YOU to all the hardcore commuters out there who commuted through rain, sleet, snow, and sharp objects.

Tomorrow I'm planning my first commute for 2015. I did a lot of commuting the last two years, but I'm a real wimp when it comes to cold weather. But since spring has officially sprang, I guess there are no excuses.
Old 03-20-15, 12:15 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5229 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
guess you don't live here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snow radar 3-20-15.jpg (61.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-20-15, 01:07 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
this time of year is a bit frustrating as the snow banks melt out onto the road in the afternoon, and that meltwater freezes overnight. So every morning, large sections near the curb are covered by thin layers of smooth ice, yet the centre of the road is dry and clear.
Finally got on the bike today. I was working out of town earlier in the week and most of the snow melted while I was away.
Feels so good!
Old 03-20-15, 02:24 PM
Unlisted member

guess you don't live here
You guys really don't need anymore snow.
Old 03-21-15, 04:02 PM

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
right on man, every spring brings new commuters
kind of annoying isn't it.
Old 03-21-15, 04:04 PM

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pitbullfan
THANK YOU to all the hardcore commuters out there who commuted through rain, sleet, snow, and sharp objects.

Tomorrow I'm planning my first commute for 2015. I did a lot of commuting the last two years, but I'm a real wimp when it comes to cold weather. But since spring has officially sprang, I guess there are no excuses.
once it gets to be above 60 it's too warm as far as i am concerned -- summer is my least favorite commuting season.
Old 03-22-15, 06:02 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
First? Doesn't everybody commute year round? Got 6 trips tough trips in February.
I've been riding daily all year here in Michigan, riding pavement just puts me a few minutes ahead of schedule.

Marc
Old 03-22-15, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 93 Posts
Well tomorrow will be my first ride this spring. I was able to ride as late as January then the snowstorms came. I put the bike away as I did not feel comfortable riding on the ice and snow without the proper tires. Tomorrow will be my first commute this spring and the temp will be about 15f degrees when I leave the house in the am. The cold does not bother me but the ice and snow does. Hopefully that is gone for this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.