Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Century = Marathon ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Century = Marathon ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 09:18 AM

Bikes: KOMobile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
No. Century = 100 miles at a lower effort generally over 5 hrs. Marathon = 24 miles over 3 hrs at a higher effort. Nothing equal about them, nada, zip, zero. Two entirely different creatures.
What if they changed a marathon to 26.2 miles? What then?
Old 07-25-14, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jareed58
I believe the running would be harder on the body. My longest run is 16 miles, and my longest ride is 80 miles. So I have not reached the two events mention, but from the two I have done, I am more spent after the run. As far as Calorie output, from what the apps show, my calorie output for running is almost 4 times as much for running, per mile distance. Haven't done the math as to what that equates to per hour.
These are just an example of the numbers you are asking about. The distances are shorter but you can get an idea.

Tuesday morning I ran 6.07 miles in 50:18. That is an 8:17 minute pace. I was not running hard or easy (my half marathon pace is 7:30 for comparison). It says I burned 640 Calories. I was wearing a HRM (Avg HR 145 BPM) so it is pretty close to accurate I guess. Temperature was 77, 100% Humidity (Houston), 0 wind.

Wednesday afternoon I went for a ride. Just an easy spin. Did 30.27 miles in 1:51:01. That is an average speed of 16.4 MPH. I burned 1,261 Calories. Avg HR was 137 BPM. The temperature was 90, 63% humidity, and 3 mph wind (although I think it was closer to at least 10).

So if you multiply the run by 4.33 to get to 26.2 that is 2771 calories.
If you multiply the ride by 3.33 to get to 100 miles that is almost 4200 calories.

None of this means anything really. Running is harder. Especially the longer you go.
Old 07-25-14, 09:39 AM
Wait up!!!!

Bikes: 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I roughly figure you have to ride about 4 miles for every mile run to be an equal PHYSICAL output. Caloric is a completely different topic.
Old 07-25-14, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heffdiddy
These are just an example of the numbers you are asking about. The distances are shorter but you can get an idea.

Tuesday morning I ran 6.07 miles in 50:18. That is an 8:17 minute pace. I was not running hard or easy (my half marathon pace is 7:30 for comparison). It says I burned 640 Calories. I was wearing a HRM (Avg HR 145 BPM) so it is pretty close to accurate I guess. Temperature was 77, 100% Humidity (Houston), 0 wind.

Wednesday afternoon I went for a ride. Just an easy spin. Did 30.27 miles in 1:51:01. That is an average speed of 16.4 MPH. I burned 1,261 Calories. Avg HR was 137 BPM. The temperature was 90, 63% humidity, and 3 mph wind (although I think it was closer to at least 10).

So if you multiply the run by 4.33 to get to 26.2 that is 2771 calories.
If you multiply the ride by 3.33 to get to 100 miles that is almost 4200 calories.

None of this means anything really. Running is harder. Especially the longer you go.

Based on my own experience.... I do between 80-110 miles on Sundays, I take Mondays off to recover and by Tuesday I am back to normal
Show me any "average Joe" that is running a Marathon every week (in 1 day)

Doing a century is relatively not that impressive when you are use to it, and it is not too rough on the body, especially when you are doing it as part of a group.

To me, A century is like doing a 1/2 marathon at good a pace, well maybe 15-18 miles.
Old 07-25-14, 09:46 AM

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throwing in the weight variable, cycling is relatively easier on clydes compared to running. I agree that the century would be easier. Relatively more so, the higher your BMI goes.
Old 07-25-14, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammondc
I roughly figure you have to ride about 4 miles for every mile run to be an equal PHYSICAL output. Caloric is a completely different topic.
So you are saying that a century and a marathon are equal physically?
Old 07-25-14, 10:09 AM
Wait up!!!!

Bikes: 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ehhh possibly. I have not done a full century yet. That is coming in about a month. But I feel about the same physically on the distances based on that rough equation. Calorie burn is different though. Wearing a HRM, I burn about 110cals/mile running and about 35cals/mile cycling.

I think the caveat is that unless you are training for a triathlon, you rarely do long distrances of both in the same training time period to compare. It is different muscles. I think it would be tough for someone that rides centuries fairly often to go out and RUN a marathon. I think almost anyone can go run/walk a marthon. Conversely, if you run full marys often, it would be tough to go cycle 100 miles.
Old 07-25-14, 10:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't coast downhill on a marathon.

I've done a number of centuries, and the only running I've done are 3-4 5k's a year. Granted, I don't train for the 5k's and I have significant foot issues (4 pins in my right foot) but I am wrecked for at least a week after the runs, but after the centuries I can get on the bike the next day for an easy spin. Really, I just do the runs often enough to remind myself why I hate running, and how fortunate I am to be able to cycle.
Old 07-25-14, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrossbeck
Harder doesn't necessarily mean better. I'm not here to knock running, I still wish I could do it pain free, but I've personally felt the downside of running injuries, and know lots of others who have as well. I've met zero riders who had to give up biking. That's a good thing.

At the end of the day, whether you run, bike, swim, do all three, or anything else - just get out there, be active and be thankful that you can.
That's where I'm at, had to give up running because of torn up knee from a fall , but I can still bike, even though I'm carrying 20 pounds more now a days

Don
Old 07-25-14, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Not even close. It's not the aerobic effort, though; it's the pounding of the joints that's the difference.
Old 07-25-14, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Does anyone have data showing caloric expenditure or work done?

I'm sure a marathon would generate higher numbers but I think it would be interesting to see them.

As to a marathon runner being able to complete a century, "no problem" I think this is mistaken. The muscles used differ to some degree. Things like neuro-muscular memory are thereby sport specific as are things like pacing.

Fitness is fitness but there is a degree of specificity that can't be discounted.
Calories Burned Calculator | Runner's World & Running Times
So I tossed in my weight into this calorie calculator and came up with 3300 calories for 26.2mi at 10min/mi pace.

My previous metric centuries (moderate hills ~4000 ft total) have always been around ~2500 calories which put me on pace for about that level of caloric burn. To large extent the only thing that matters is effort & time. You can really only burn so many calories/hr. So assuming that both the runner and cyclist are are in similar shape for their sport, they will burn a similar number of calories for activities taking a similar time.

One interesting thing to note about Garmin HRM devices. The caloric burn is calculated purely off HR, it doesn't care if you're running, walking, swimming.
Old 07-25-14, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts
I have done 12 marathons run for 36 years but cycling is allowing me the last 6 yrs to keep burning calories. Running does beat you up and i use 5 miles riding to 1 mile running. I could do 2 marathons a year at a good effort but can ride a century a week or a hard all out century month.
When I took up cycling more only a few rides and was able to ride 50-60iles easy but cycling in a race effort requires skill riding not just aerobic ability.
Old 07-25-14, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done about 8 marathons, including qualifying for and running Boston. I always thought the effort of about 5 miles of riding is similar to 1 mile of running. For me a metric century is similar in difficulty to a half marathon, even though the metric takes much longer and the running is harder on your body.
Old 07-25-14, 01:23 PM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Someone should take this to the tri thread and ask any IMers which leg is harder, the 112 mile bike in the middle, or the marathon at the end.
Old 07-25-14, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by heffdiddy
What if they changed a marathon to 26.2 miles? What then?
Whatever.
Old 07-25-14, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How about this comparison... I've *completed* 2 Ironman triathlons - which include a 112 mile bike, along with a marathon.

I've *competed* in a crit that lasted an hour.

What hurt the most, and left me more drained immediately after, the crit.

What just left me more drained in general - really just tired and wanting a nap - the Ironman.

Just depends on how hard you push yourself. If I would have ran like heck on those two Ironman's that I've done, I'm sure I would have been more drained. But I'd say it was a good half of it that was ran, and the other half was jogged and/or walked. Competitive running races have never given me the upper leg muscle burn a bike race gives me. Bike racing has never given me lower leg muscle burn a running race has given me. Entirely different sports, but both can be taken easy, or both can be brutally competitive.
Old 07-25-14, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 12

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP, it depends on what you mean by "equivalent". If you're talking about physical punishment, then no, marathons are much worse. The pounding your body takes during a marathon far outweighs any physical damage to your body done by a century. That's why there aren't any 21 day "grand tours" of running. If you're talking cardio-vascular effort, I'd have to say they are the same. In terms of mental toughness and perseverance required, they are the same. Everybody's body is different, some people are suited to running, some people are suited to biking, some people are suited to both, and some are frankly suited to neither (like me). To a born runner, a marathon is easy and a century hard. To a born-cyclist, vice-versa. To those gifted few who can do both, I can only guess they are similar (for justification I use the fact that an Iron-man level triathlon has a 112 mile bike ride (close enough to a century) and a 26.2 mile run). To those like me suited to neither, both require months of dedicated training, incredible perseverance and intestinal fortitude during the event to finish, an incredible ability to suffer for several hours at a time, and both will leave you unable to walk comfortably the next day.

For all intents and purposes, I consider them the same and if you can do either you should hold your head high.
Old 07-25-14, 06:24 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12817 Post(s)
Liked 7,748 Times in 4,107 Posts
Racewalk the marathon, that might be closer.
Old 07-25-14, 06:29 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I think the problem is that people have preconceived ideas of what "running a marathon" consists of. If all you require is going 26 miles at whatever pace you'd normally handle- no problem, I can walk that in 8 hours or so, and I can ride a reasonably leisurely century in that same time, too. Or if you define "running a marathon" as "must take less than 4 hours", well, I likely can't do that at all, but then again, I can't ride a 100 miles in 4 hours, either. So how comparable they are depend a lot on the definitions. If you mean "run a marathon at a competitive race pace" versus "mosey along on a bike until you hit 100 miles eventually", then yeah, the cycling is easier.
Old 07-25-14, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
No one is mentioning race type conditions. A marathon is a race although lately most participants don't treat it as that. On the other side almost anyone can do my century with minimal training. The real comparison is an all out effort for both - a 100 mile time trial versus a hard marathon where you train and push yourself.

Except for the lasting after effects of running (because your overall body and particularly legs will hurt from the pounding), you'll be pretty exhausted from both and find them close.
Old 07-25-14, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I think the problem is that people have preconceived ideas of what "running a marathon" consists of. If all you require is going 26 miles at whatever pace you'd normally handle- no problem, I can walk that in 8 hours or so, and I can ride a reasonably leisurely century in that same time, too. Or if you define "running a marathon" as "must take less than 4 hours", well, I likely can't do that at all, but then again, I can't ride a 100 miles in 4 hours, either. So how comparable they are depend a lot on the definitions. If you mean "run a marathon at a competitive race pace" versus "mosey along on a bike until you hit 100 miles eventually", then yeah, the cycling is easier.
+1. Without specifying intensity the comparison is meaningless.

Riding stage 18 of the TDF this year like Lars Boom in 4 1/2 hrs with an average power of 320W is much harder than running a 4 hr marathon.

Lots of people completing a marathon or ironman end up walking a good portion of the 26 miles which make is considerably easier.
Old 07-26-14, 12:04 AM

Bikes: Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done both, with very little preparation and some major mistakes. The marathon was much harder.

I'm relatively fit, play sports, etc...

I got my first road bike and completed a 112 mile ride less than a month later. I had no idea what I was doing. Bike wasn't fitted, I didn't bring anything to eat (luckily my friends did), and, hell, I didn't even have a jersey. It was hard. The only major thing that hit me was cramping in the last 10 miles because most of the hills were at that section. I was tired upon completion but nowhere near as bad as when I...

...decided to complete a marathon on a whim. It was a couple of years later. I saw some 70 year-olds finishing an Iron Man and decided I wanted to run a marathon without training. I ran a mile the week before and realized I'd made a huge mistake. Figured my soccer/cycling would get me through the first half with my fear of failure and stubbornness the 2nd half. I finished - barely. Took me 30 minutes to get about 200 yards to my car. Ended up in an emergency clinic that afternoon with cramps and really, really bad leg and back pain.

The century was much easier - relatively speaking.
Old 07-26-14, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
If you ask a bunch of cyclists which is harder, running 26.2 miles or cycling 100 miles, of course most are going to say running.

If you ask on a running forum, you'll probably get the opposite answer.

I've done both and find them roughly equivalent.
Old 07-26-14, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Why isn't question asked of an Ironman competitor? After all, they are doing the three events -- 1.5km swim, 180km bike and marathon run -- and would have a good handle on how the marathon stacked up against the others two.

Oh, that's right, tri athletes (which Ironmen are) are regarded with sneering disdain here.
Old 07-26-14, 06:32 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod, 2013 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not even close. I can ride back-to-back centuries, but I can't even finish one marathon. A good way to compare is to determine how many calories you burn using the same parameters. Go for a 5K run, check the calories. Then ride the same 5K course and compare. You will find that you burned about 1/10th the calories on your bike. However, you must not coast on the bike. Pedal at all times unless coming to a stop or you've exceeded the max speed the gearing allows. Coasting will render the results non-conclusive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.