Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Frames and Vibration Reduction

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Frames and Vibration Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 10:30 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
^this with emphasis that tires and inflation will make a bigger difference than anything else by maybe an order of magnitude.
For a typical frame, sure, but some of the frames mentioned in the OP offer deflection greater than the tire height above the rim (for road bikes).
Old 07-11-19, 11:08 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For a typical frame, sure, but some of the frames mentioned in the OP offer deflection greater than the tire height above the rim (for road bikes).
Yes. I understand that.

Three points to clarify and expand on what I said:

1. The piece about tire Size and pressure equivalent across test rides is necessary to compare because tires have such a large impact on ride quality and compliance.

2. I would investigate tire and pressure experimentation on the existing bike before I’d go looking for a new one. Huge impact and cheaper than buying a new bike by far.

3. Carbon, in and of itself, is not going to have much impact on ride compliance compared to other things like tires and inflation.

Then again, if n+1 is a consideration....

I have had steel and carbon frame that I thought were unbearably non-compliant. Changing tires and adjusting inflation made an enormous positive and swamped out any frame impact by a long way. Adding elements in the frame to address this is expensive.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 07-11-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Carbon doesn't like to vibrate, the type of dampening it naturally has is for high frequency, low amplitude stuff. Maybe a little bit of compliance on chipseal. Won't do anything for bigger stuff. Some of the mechanisms being added to frames are for hitting a pothole or a big seam in the pavement. That's the kind of stuff that's uncomfortable.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: