Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedalling weirdness

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedalling weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Spammers love spamming links so they ban them until your account reaches a certain point. Sounds like you mean this bike?
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ggrssrprxxxprf
Yep...that's the bike.
Old 05-20-21, 09:09 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I got a call today from the local bike shop and they had my baby ready earlier than I expected, so I picked it up and took it for a test drive. Definitely a major improvement - those momentary losses of resistance I had been getting were not normal...they're gone now. Not sure specifically what the tech did, other than that he re-aligned things. I agree with those on this thread who pointed out that it's not enough to just put the bike up on a workstand to diagnose problems, which was all that the guys at Dick's did...it really needs to be test-ridden and adjusted by a competent bike tech.
Old 05-20-21, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Sometimes if a chain link or two sticks, from rust or reinserting a pin after using a chain breaker, that sort of thing can happen. If you get it back from the shop with no answer, try running the chain through your fingers to see if the links flex smoothly.
That's my guess too and it's easy to check for:

Lean your bike against something and turn the pedals backwards while watching the chain as it exits the derailleur arm.
If you see a ljerky movement at the arm - that's it. You have a tight link.
Work that link until it loosens up and you'll be good-to-go.
Old 05-21-21, 07:32 AM

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I've had the same sensation on my 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0 that I never noticed on other bikes. Sometimes when I'm cruising at a steady speed it seems that I feel a skip or feeling that the chain or hub just caught back up with the rest of the motion of pedaling. My feeling is that I somehow must be slowing my pedaling a bit and get the sensation when I "catch back up" and feel a clunk. Maybe my pedaling style is wrong or maybe something off on the bike. I just have the stock plastic pedals still. I have a feeling that it wouldn't happen with clip in pedals?
Old 05-21-21, 07:40 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Why wouldn't you ask what the problem was? Then you could have listed that here and maybe added to the knowledge of the collective. Locutus will be disappointed.
Old 05-21-21, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickmeister
"Dick bike"...hahaha...love it! I always wonder why they named the store "Dick's"...I've also bought art supplies from Dick Blick...it always makes me think of a venereal disease!
Do not get me wrong, never meant to disparage "Dicks" nor their bicycles!
gm
Old 05-21-21, 09:08 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why wouldn't you ask what the problem was? Then you could have listed that here and maybe added to the knowledge of the collective. Locutus will be disappointed.
I asked him but I don't remember specifically what he said...this bicycle stuff is new to me and I don't talk the talk. "Re-aligned stuff" was my only take-away!
Old 05-21-21, 09:14 AM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Do not get me wrong, never meant to disparage "Dicks" nor their bicycles!
gm
Same here...everyone I dealt with at the store made every effort to be helpful. But I think if you need something serviced you're better off finding a good local shop that specializes in bikes and will test-ride it.
Old 05-21-21, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I've had the same sensation on my 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0 that I never noticed on other bikes. Sometimes when I'm cruising at a steady speed it seems that I feel a skip or feeling that the chain or hub just caught back up with the rest of the motion of pedaling. My feeling is that I somehow must be slowing my pedaling a bit and get the sensation when I "catch back up" and feel a clunk. Maybe my pedaling style is wrong or maybe something off on the bike. I just have the stock plastic pedals still. I have a feeling that it wouldn't happen with clip in pedals?
It's a problem with the physical equipment on the bike itself....I don't know the details but I remember getting it fixed as well...think it had some to do with the hub / freewheel / pawls. It slipped in a way that felt like it might be my fault but it was actually just a mechanical equipment issue.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 05-21-21, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
The Dick's ad copy says it's a 21-speed with 3x8 gearing. Both of those can't be correct.

Also, OP, I'm glad your bike works better. I hope you'll get the cycling bug and be back in 6 months to a year talking about the n+1 bike you just bought.
Old 05-22-21, 12:42 AM

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Derailleur needed indexing.
Old 05-25-21, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Sometimes if a chain link or two sticks, from rust or reinserting a pin after using a chain breaker, that sort of thing can happen. If you get it back from the shop with no answer, try running the chain through your fingers to see if the links flex smoothly.
The easiest way to check for a tight link is to slowly backpedal and watch as the chain passes through the jockey pulleys. A tight link will make them 'jump.' IMHO this is more likely than having a bad/sticking freewheel pawl.
Old 05-25-21, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickmeister
...It's been decades since I've ridden a bike...
BRAVO!!!!

Happy HAPPY... Joy JOY!!!!