Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Banned substance sanctions in other sports

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Banned substance sanctions in other sports

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-09, 02:26 PM
ITTETAYHSMB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
That would be my guess. NASCAR doesn't want an accident that hurts or kills people, caused by an impaired driver. Leave the impairments to the fans.
Yet NASCAR is heavily sponsored by numerous alcohol brands. Oh delicious irony.
Old 05-11-09, 02:28 PM
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattDC
Yet NASCAR is heavily sponsored by numerous alcohol brands. Oh delicious irony.
You wanna know what's more ironic?

They banned cigarette ads and sponsorships but kept the booze. How many people die from smoking and driving?
Old 05-11-09, 02:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by substructure

They banned cigarette ads and sponsorships but kept the booze. How many people die from smoking and driving?
Here's a question...what's more dangerous--smoking a cigarette, or sitting in the front row at a NASCAR race, inhaling all the exhaust fumes?

NASCAR---killing brain cells, one lap at at time.
Old 05-11-09, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bac
I'm pretty sure "indefinite" in NASCAR terms means perhaps 1 race. I love the classic denial by the driver though. His fans will believe.

... Brad
Shane Hmiel
Old 05-11-09, 11:15 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure

That's less of a decision by NASCAR and more of a decision by the US Government. They've made it so difficult for cigarette companies to advertise that it essentially didn't work with the NASCAR business model any more.

What NASCAR allowed that they had refused for a long time was hard liquor, which is why you now see Crown Royal and Jack Daniels as sponsors.
Old 05-11-09, 11:28 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think they should openly say what he tested positive for. His explanation sounds like nonsense, but he can get away with it because they aren't saying what he took. NASCAR drivers that are caught are usually taking recreational drugs. I can't imagine too many drugs that will help them other than muscle relaxants.
Old 05-11-09, 11:35 PM
i ride a bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're driving a racecar and you're relying on your "reaction times" (as previously alluded to in this thread), you're doing it wrong.

I think it is obviously some illeagal drug - coke, meth, etc.
  • Mayfeild stated he was taking two allergy medications and has made the argument that they magically reacted in his body to make him fail the drug test.
  • The overseer of the testing labratory says, "In my many years of experience, I have never seen a violation like this due to the combination of over-the-counter or prescription products."
  • and furthermore describes it as "a drug of concern"
I'm happy to see that they have a drug testing system in place now (I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I'm pretty sure this is a recent thing).

Mac
Old 05-11-09, 11:40 PM
G60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sac02
If you're driving a racecar and you're relying on your "reaction times" (as previously alluded to in this thread), you're doing it wrong.
i'm curious as to why you say that.
Old 05-12-09, 12:15 AM
i ride a bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G60
I guess it depends on how you are referring to "reaction time". If you are talking about steering around an accident, or RT at a drag strip, obviously that is important.

But most "racing laypeople" think that a driver need good reactions, to react quickly if the car is oversteering, for example. In reality the driver (if he's doing it right) is not reacting to the car, the car is reacting to his inputs. Vision, anticipation, and knowledge about the car's handling caracteristics, the course, and other drivers are all things I would list as more important than "reaction time" for a successfull race driver. Oh, and at the level where you actually get paid to drive, a knowledge of PR and how to kiss your sponsors' rear.

Mac
Old 05-12-09, 10:06 AM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G60
What Sac02 wrote is on the money.

Race drivers work open loop in most situations. As the track or car handling subtly changes lap to lap, they adapt and their inputs are predictive in nature. When a driver goes 'closed loop', that when bad stuff is happening, such as crash avoidance or when there has been a sudden track change (a car in front puts a bunch of oil down).

Think of a really good musician. They don't consciously think about the next note, they just play it. Jazz musicians are a very good example. Stevie Ray Vaughn wasn't thinking this note, then this chord, etc. He was just making music. A good race driver acts in a very similar manner.

Open loop, your mind can process very, very quickly, say, 1,000,000 Hz. Closed loop is much slower, maybe on the order of 1000 Hz. Why any racer (car, bike, lawnmower, etc.) improves with experience is that their mind switches from running closed loop to open. You don't put yourself in bad situations, so you don't have to react to get yourself out of them.

I have yet to see a drug that gives you experience.
Old 05-12-09, 10:49 AM
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
What Sac02 wrote is on the money.

Race drivers work open loop in most situations. As the track or car handling subtly changes lap to lap, they adapt and their inputs are predictive in nature. When a driver goes 'closed loop', that when bad stuff is happening, such as crash avoidance or when there has been a sudden track change (a car in front puts a bunch of oil down).

Think of a really good musician. They don't consciously think about the next note, they just play it. Jazz musicians are a very good example. Stevie Ray Vaughn wasn't thinking this note, then this chord, etc. He was just making music. A good race driver acts in a very similar manner.

Open loop, your mind can process very, very quickly, say, 1,000,000 Hz. Closed loop is much slower, maybe on the order of 1000 Hz. Why any racer (car, bike, lawnmower, etc.) improves with experience is that their mind switches from running closed loop to open. You don't put yourself in bad situations, so you don't have to react to get yourself out of them.

I have yet to see a drug that gives you experience.

You guys are not taking into account a lot of factors

1. A driver is making a ton of constant conscious decisions. (Yes he needs to have a good natural response as well). There are other drivers on the track who are plotting thier positions, and looking for the utmost advantage.

2. If you are fatigued your chance of making a critical error, just in how your postion in a 200 MPH paceline is will be affected. Not to mention safety.

3. Driving a stock car is extremly tiring, and takes a toll on the body, and mind.

4 Amphetamines would be a perfect drug to offset this.
Old 05-12-09, 11:02 AM
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I used to snicker when the local woodchucks would ramble on about how hard it is to drive, but then after Chris Carmichael added a driver's endurance training component to his offerings I figure maybe there's something to it.

Stevie Ray wasn't a jazz musician.
Old 05-12-09, 11:06 AM
ITTETAYHSMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13

1. A driver is making a ton of constant conscious decisions. (Yes he needs to have a good natural response as well). There are other drivers on the track who are plotting thier positions, and looking for the utmost advantage.

2. If you are fatigued your chance of making a critical error, just in how your postion in a 200 MPH paceline is will be affected. Not to mention safety.

3. Driving a stock car is extremly tiring, and takes a toll on the body, and mind.

Anything that boosts attention and fights fatigue would have a performance enhancing effect for a race driver. It is hard to be predictive of the car's handling if you can't stop thinking about how sweaty your balls are or how much a nap would rule.
Old 05-12-09, 12:00 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13

3. Driving a stock car is extremely tiring, and takes a toll on the body, and mind.

1. Correct. Among these decisions shouldn't be the actual driving of the car, though. The actual driving of the car should happen almost subconsciously.
2. Correct. Physical fatigue tends to compound mental fatigue. Drivers who are physically taxed are much more prone to making mistakes.
3. Moreso than many would believe.
4. Not really. The problem is you race stupid. I've seen guys do it on Red Bull (4-5 cans in an hour). It's the same thing that Joe Parkin's described in 'Dog in a Hat'. You end up taking a bunch of chances and it generally turns out wrong. The best race drivers are pretty calm people. The guys that are amp'ed all the time can do some amazing things for a short qualifying run, but if anyone tries to maintain that type of pace over a long race distance, they will nearly always turn the car into a smoldering pile of garbage. Amhpetamines don't add talent or skill.
Old 05-12-09, 12:03 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreggy
Stevie Ray wasn't a jazz musician.
Ever see his performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival? Whether you think it's jazz or not, they claim him.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=11034
Old 05-12-09, 12:45 PM
ITTETAYHSMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-12-09, 02:40 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet you a buck it wasn't Adderal he got nabbed for.
Old 05-12-09, 02:54 PM
ITTETAYHSMB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet you a buck it wasn't Adderall he got nabbed for.
Fixed
Old 05-12-09, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever see his performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival? Whether you think it's jazz or not, they claim him.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=11034
Yeah, but they booed him the first year he was there.
Old 05-12-09, 04:14 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
probably adhd medication
Old 05-12-09, 05:38 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattDC
Fixed
Oh my god! How could I ever have made such a horrible mistake.

Get over yourself.
Old 05-12-09, 05:39 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Yeah, but they booed him the first year he was there.
That's true, but only the first.
Old 05-12-09, 05:40 PM
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val23708
probably adhd medication
For Mayfield? I don't think so. I think it was pot.