Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaking noise when pedaling hard

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Creaking noise when pedaling hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo_rider
it does sound like it's coming from chainring/cranks
it's actually more like a ticking sound.
it is an aluminum frame
this is a 5 year old bike
Given all this, I would pull the BB cartridge, clean and grease the threads, and re-install. It could be bottom bracket bearings, but the "ticking" tells me one of the BB cups is a little loose and probably dry.

If you have the tools, this is a ten-minute job and costs nothing. If it doesn't help, you'll at least have eliminated one of the possibilities.
Old 06-22-21, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I had a creaking problem from the BB area that troubled me for awhile that was caused by the chain ring mounting surfaces. I cleaned thoroughly all the mounting surfaces, lightly grease them, and used loctite 202 on the chain ring bolt threads. Occasionally, I disassemble the chain rings for cleaning without problems. No loosing of bolts either.
Old 06-22-21, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
My last creak was pedal / cleat interface. Sounded like BB. Do the easy stuff first like seatpost, seat rails, wheel skewers before tearing into a crank / bb. If your chainring bolts come off ok, I would grease then wipe off the face of the chainrings / crank where they go together and the smooth piece of the bolt that goes through the holes.
Old 06-25-21, 06:02 AM

Bikes: C'dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
If the frame isn’t cracked then my next guess would be the saddle. Spray some lube into the saddle where the rails enter underneath.