Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How many do you know?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How many do you know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 11:06 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many do you know?

After skimming the "Age of Commuters" thread (nosey that I am,) I started to wonder how many other bicycle commuters you know, other than by this website?

I've met a few on my route, and others in my area from this website. I can think of three on my route I've seen regularly and spoken with, but none where I work.

If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have thought there were so many bicycle commuters. But when I logon here, it seems we're all over the place!

How about you?
Old 04-11-06, 11:18 AM
meep!

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2005 Giant Lite Xtracycle, 2004 Trek L200, 1997 Specialized RockHopper FS, 1989 Trek 950

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are two in my building (including me). The other is in his mid 40's, I'm 32.

A new one I met this morning from the building next door (est. 30's).

There is at least one at one of our other offices down the street (no idea who it is, just an REI Randonee).

I saw 3 new commuters on the way in this morning, all sidewalk riders, but at least they're riding (I'm guessing ages mid 30's through mid 40's).
Old 04-11-06, 11:25 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've meet two nonregular bike commuters in my building. And I mean very nonregular maybe 10 times a year.
Old 04-11-06, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely see any other commuters... especially during the winter months or when it rains.

But in the evenings on nice days, riders on fancy bikes in flashy jerseys show up all over the place. Of course, I live in the burbs. Most people around here see biking as an expensive hobby, not as a way to travel.
Old 04-11-06, 11:48 AM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How many do I know? Probably half a dozen, including my girlfriend who commutes a few days a week in the warmer/drier months.

Seattle has a lot of commuters. Even on the worst days I see at least 5 fellow maniacs.
Old 04-11-06, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
There are tons of bike shops around here, and lots of people buying bikes, but its apparently all for recreation, except, seemingly, for me and the occasional illegal on a wal-mart Magna mountain bike. Occasionally, I will pass someone on a bicycle on weekday mornings, but none of them appear to be commuters because there are no regulars. Whats even sadder is that I work on a college campus and I've never seen a bike here except my own.
Old 04-11-06, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know 0 bike commuters. There are maybe 3 commuters I recognize on one part of my route.
Old 04-11-06, 12:07 PM
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zero I think it's because of the time and location(Very rural) I commute, 3:00am and 12:30pm. I did see someone about a year ago pulling a Bob trailer and one about 3 years ago at 4:00am. If wasn't for Bike Forums I would have given up years ago. Thanks Bike Forum commuting members.

Johnny
Old 04-11-06, 12:12 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I've met two other commuters during my 11 months of riding to work. One was a student at a community college that I ride past. The other was a drunk guy on the train, (not making assumptions; he wreaked of alcohol).

I do know a guy from our "parents night out" group who puts in 18 miles before he rides the 8 miles to his office.

Other than that, it's just you warm-fuzzy folks on BF.
Old 04-11-06, 12:13 PM
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other at the office rack every single day. One other occasionally.

A fair number on the road, though I commute along the city's most prominant MUP and intown routes. A few that I know socially.
Old 04-11-06, 12:16 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
Zero I think it's because of the time and location(Very rural) I commute, 3:00am and 12:30pm. I did see someone about a year ago pulling a Bob trailer and one about 3 years ago at 4:00am. If wasn't for Bike Forums I would have given up years ago.
I have to admit, I like to think of myself as the proverbial "weed in the sidewalk" that sprouts up in spite of the apparant lack of good soil. But to be honest, I'm sure BF has played a major role in inspiring me over the years. In fact, it was here I discovered so many local commuters I would never have known existed!

Originally Posted by Gojohnnygo.
Thanks Bike Forum commuting members.

Johnny

I second that!

Old 04-11-06, 12:23 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
But to be honest, I'm sure BF has played a major role in inspiring me over the years. In fact, it was here I discovered so many local commuters I would never have known existed!

Count me in. Heck, this site is the reason I cyclocommute. It had never occured to me that it was even possible before I found BF on a completely unrelated google search.
Old 04-11-06, 12:27 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have thought there were so many bicycle commuters. But when I logon here, it seems we're all over the place!
We are all over the place. Too bad there are not so many of us everywhere that it would even occur to us to turn to the internet. I'm not aware of any car forums where people just discuss commuting by car.

How many of you have met someone who immediately says something to the effect of "hey, you're that guy I see on my way to work every day...."? It's fun to be recognized by strangers, but on the other hand it would be even better if riding weren't cause for distinction.
Old 04-11-06, 12:46 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nobody who looks like a commuter-by-choice, anywhere. Maybe 2 sometime-commuters that I have seen on the roads.

In 2+ years of riding, I saw a kid who looked like he was going to school (and riding on the wrong side of the road and weaving all over), one time. I saw a no-helmet slow guy who looked like a DUI refugee, one time. I saw a young man whose car broke down riding to work in the middle of the night in the winter with no lights; I stopped to chat, he asked to follow me to take advantage of my lights, but I couldn't ride slow enough to hang on to him despide riding about 10 MPH and circling back to pick him up 3 times, he eventually just stopped.

There's a 50-something asian guy who I've seen on my route about a half dozen times, riding pretty slow. There is a guy who looks homeless or at least poor, riding a walmart beater and always has a big plastic bag full of returnable bottles and often stops to pick some up; I see him about 3x a year.

There's a woman at work who I talk to occasionally, and she rode to work... one time. There is a beat-up 10 speed that shows up at one of the entrances about 3 times a year, I don't know the owner.
Old 04-11-06, 12:56 PM
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's one other guy at my office who has on occasion biked to work. Usually I think he just brings his bike on the back of his car and goes for lunchtime rides.

At the place I just interviewed, however, there's a full-time rider and a part time (who'd be my boss!). Cross your fingers for me...
Old 04-11-06, 12:57 PM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...one.

Working on convincing a second.
Old 04-11-06, 01:13 PM
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bike commute 4-5 days a week and regularly see 4 other commuters from my work. I've never actually seen them at work but I know they're coworkers because I work on a penninsula that's a navy base. Where else would they be going? There's only one road. We have engaged in small talk about bikes or traffic but no specifics. I'm 31 but the other commuters I have met are 45-55. Yes, most of them pass me. All of my cager coworkers think I'm nuts (or have a DUI).

Halfway along my commute in a residential area is a small, private university. I used to see a big kid (18 or 19 yrs old student) puffing away on an x-mart type full-suspension mtn bike on his way to class. He had it in an impossible gear considering it's 5 miles uphill. He was always in the big ring and small cog and doing about 7-9 mph. I tried talking to him about shifting to the middle ring and bigger cog, and spinning as opposed to mashing, but he didn't seem very receptive to advice. Don't see him anymore so he probably got a car.

Last edited by chajmahal; 04-11-06 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 01:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one. he's the one that got me started. but now I ride in more than he does!
Old 04-11-06, 02:02 PM
= cyclist's tan

Bikes: '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
i don't know any but my girlfriend, and she is less than excited about commuting to the store. there was one commuter i guess heading northbound on collins st in arlington (for those around DFW, texas). He had about a 20w light, road frame, drop bars, rear rack and loaded panniers; older fellow, but he was haulin uphill even and keeping up with traffic. i got so exited i wanted to pull over at the light and talk, but i was turning the other way (in my car). maybe someone out there will reconize him. oh this was about 9 pm last week sometime.
Old 04-11-06, 02:06 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two bike racks (10-20 bikes per) at work filled with spring to fall commuters. Three full(stuffed and hard to park) in the summer, and down to maybe three to five consistent riders in the winter.
Old 04-11-06, 02:17 PM
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
none. well mebbe one that commutes once a bluemoon...
Old 04-11-06, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On any given ten mile daytime commute I will see 1 to 3 Anglo commuters and 2 to 6 Hispanic commuters.
Old 04-11-06, 04:43 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
At one of the buildings I pass on my commute there are several bikes that are "usual suspects" at the rack out front. About 6 total, with 4 in attendance at any given time. They obviously work a different schedule than I do, because only once have I actually seen one of them actually riding. The rest are just there or not there. The one time I saw the guy I was so excited, because so rarely do I see another cyclist. It made me smile as he did a couple of happy zig-zags on the open road before setting off at top speed. Someone as happy as I am to be biking home, reveling in the freedom (for a while) from work.

Other than that, I've seen two regulars (wave "hi", but don't actually know), and I've shamed some people into riding in with me a couple of times.
Old 04-11-06, 04:57 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After skimming the "Age of Commuters" thread (nosey that I am,) I started to wonder how many other bicycle commuters you know, other than by this website?
I know several, if I include acquaintances. In fact today I was complaining about the number of bike commuters! The nearest mall has an office tower attached to it - must have been 100 bikes there today, I had to circle the mall to find place to park.
Old 04-11-06, 05:43 PM

Bikes: ones with wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a lot of bike lockers here at work but I only see a handful of people who use them. I do see a fair number of people riding in before and after work, but it's a small town and short distances so it's a little easier. Even in winter, there's always a few who make me feel bad when I do drive.

You can ID the hardcore ones in the winter when they're walking out of the buildings by the bumblebee outfit of yellow jacket and black pants. I always think to myself: "They're out there."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.