Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SRAM, Shimano, KMC - chains

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

SRAM, Shimano, KMC - chains

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 03:17 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Not sure why the quick links are seen as a problem to be managed. I'll use a new quick link with a new chain and throw it away when I throw away the chain. It may get removed and replaced five to seven times or so over its lifetime. I know they say they are or are not reusable, but I ignore that, as does everyone else I know who uses quick links, and I've never yet seen where this was a problem. I think one would have to remove and reinstall many, many more times than I do before the latching recesses or whatever they're called that lock these into place were worn to the point of presenting a risk. Oh well, you guys are doing what works for you and seems best to you, as do I, so it's all good.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-06-20, 03:54 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I checked some SRAM 10Sp links (labeled non reusable) against a KMC reusable one once with a machinists loupe with scale and could find nothing that would not indicate that they are identical in all respects. Heard somewhere that KMC had a patent on the reusability aspect and that was why the others were labeled as not to be reused. No idea if that's true or it's cooperate liability avoidance. I'll reuse them until they go together noticeably too easy. That's somewhere between five and seven times. If you keep an eye out, occasionally ten packs of the KMC links go on sale on line. One pack is probably a lifetime's worth.

The high end SRAM hollow pin chains have always been good, but I did have one of their cheap low end chains snap from brittle failure at less than 100 miles once. Poor quality control in the heat treat or plating phase. That could have turned into an epic without a chain tool and a spare link. It failed on the back side of GRR.

Sorta standardized on KMC now. When they are on sale they are competitive with the low end SRAM chains, but higher quality. Never used Shimano because I don't want to deal with that tiny pin.
Old 05-06-20, 04:11 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Is it true that Shimano's 11 speed chains are slightly more narrower than SRAM & KMC? Which brands are known to be wide within their respective [11] index range?
Old 05-06-20, 04:17 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I remember back in the '70s when Shimano touted their 'bulged-link' chains (Uniglide? or whatever they were called) as a gimmick to enhance shifting -- then later the 'inside-beveled' chains... I was going through two chains/year when I was riding a lot back then (6-8k miles/yr) so 3k-4k miles/chain? Sounds about right for riding in all sorts of weather... Freewheels were rebuilt or replaced every other chain.

Whatever dudes - I still run 6-speed ultra-spaced freewheels. I only ride on NON-rainy days now, so nothing fancy is needed. I can't even tell you what chain I used on my old Fuji 15 years ago, but it is still going strong without too much stretch.

I DID buy some KMC X8 or 8X chains a few years ago to put on some of my more recent acquisitions that are wearing 6-speed freewheels. The word is still out on those...
Old 05-06-20, 05:52 PM

Hard to find made in the USA chains.
Old 05-07-20, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
As weird as this sounds, I like reading everyone's thoughts on chains and chain maintenance. I certainly agree with SethAZ. The QuickLink can be reused as long as it is in reasonably good condition. And HerrKaLeun makes a good point. Wipe your chain! Lube it regularly!

I'm in an area of MA northwest of Boston where the road riding is pretty good. Now that spring is here, there are a lot of people out riding. And what I notice most is that most people don't lube their chain much, if at all. Squeak, squeak, squeak, grind, grind, grind.

I've thought of bringing a bottle of T-9 with me and offering to lube people's chains. It works really well for reviving a rusty chain. My daughter's Trek, which I bought used, had been left in the rain a few times and was in tough shape (hence the $40 price tag). I coated the chain with T-9 and the rust either sloughed off or disappeared under the wax. It was shocking how well it worked. Just replaced it with a lightly used 9 speed chain and re-used the QuickLink I had in my toolbox. Perfect!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for commenting. Enjoyed reading them.
Old 05-07-20, 06:32 AM

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
May I just suggest, none of the above if at all possible?

Wippermann

https://www.connexchain.com/en.html
+1 Connex 8SX is my chain. Head and shoulders above the rest, check "connexchain.com" and the "ultimate chain wear test" for why. Turns out a huge component of chain wear is corrosion. Also, the removable link is removable after 1000 miles of use, unlike SRAM
Old 05-07-20, 09:00 AM
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How many hours of use does it take to wear out a bicycle chain? How much personal experience can one rider have? I can understand user reviews if somebody has a truly atrocious experience. For average, typical bicycle chain use, I don't see much value in user reviews.
I understand what you're saying. Certainly, chain wear rate is going to be anecdotal and wide ranging, because everyone rides and maintains (or not) chains differently. But I change chains more often than I change tires, and we all offer reviews and opinions on tires.

Originally Posted by ridinginjeans
As weird as this sounds, I like reading everyone's thoughts on chains and chain maintenance.
Me too. Some comments resonate with my own experiences or expand my knowledge. Until 2018, I thought a chain was a chain; to some extent that's true, in that all 9sp chains work on all 9sp drive trains (but never tried Campy, don't know). After decades of SRAM chains, I tried a KMC. It was noisier than the SRAM, and shifted less smoothly, and it came with a defective quick link. I replaced the KMC with a Shimano, and it was better than the SRAM. Who'da thunk? I hadn't.

I was also inspired by the chain chatter on the forum to start cleaning my chain. I considered a chain an expendable, and I drip-lubed it regularly, but didn't think it was worth the effort to clean. I didn't care if it I got maximum use from it. Now I am re-thinking.

Chain discussions: big fun during the plague.
Old 05-07-20, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I understand what you're saying. Certainly, chain wear rate is going to be anecdotal and wide ranging, because everyone rides and maintains (or not) chains differently. But I change chains more often than I change tires, and we all offer reviews and opinions on tires.
I was also inspired by the chain chatter on the forum to start cleaning my chain. I considered a chain an expendable, and I drip-lubed it regularly, but didn't think it was worth the effort to clean. I didn't care if it I got maximum use from it. Now I am re-thinking.
Ross 520 posted a couple of links of objective testing of chain brand and labeling practices. They look pretty interesting but they are the kind of thing that will take some time for me to read and think through.

Tires is, of course, a similar topic. I've stopped giving tire advice but I do read other people's reviews.
Old 05-07-20, 09:14 AM
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 3,032 Posts
I’ve had good luck with KMC
Old 05-07-20, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-11-20, 02:41 PM

Does anyone know where to find the SHIMANO XTR/Dura-Ace CN-HG901 11-Speed Chain with 114 links? Only finding 116. Rather not bust off my own links to create the required length.
Old 05-16-20, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I took off too many links and need to put one link back on but my tool is not good. Which link tool brand and model is best?
Old 05-21-20, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by myisland
I took off too many links and need to put one link back on but my tool is not good. Which link tool brand and model is best?
myisland
adding in another connector link would be the safest with your current old chain. Otherwise, ordering a new chain with the right amount of links or shortening a longer chain down to size is the other reliable option.
Old 05-21-20, 03:07 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tool question

Originally Posted by Troul
myisland
adding in another connector link would be the safest with your current old chain. Otherwise, ordering a new chain with the right amount of links or shortening a longer chain down to size is the other reliable option.
I don't have a current old chain. I have a brand new one. Did you read my question? My question is about tools.
Old 05-21-20, 04:49 PM

I don't have a current old chain. I have a brand new one. Did you read my question? My question is about tools.
myisland do you know what a connector link is??
Old 05-21-20, 06:23 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
myisland do you know what a connector link is??
Yeah it's a part. There's sliding, snap-on, and single bullet styles but I asked about chain tools.
Old 05-21-20, 06:27 PM

Yeah it's a part. There's sliding, snap-on, and single bullet styles but I asked about chain tools.
myisland you're vague with details to which chain you have.

You may have a tool option, or you may be sol; contingent upon which chain you might have.
Old 05-22-20, 07:45 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I've used all of the same chains as the OP, including an FSA Team Edition. I really liked the FSA chain over the others because it shifted much smoother and seemed to be easier to pedal (although that may have just been an illusion). However, I seem to get the best mileage from the SRAM Red 22 chains than any other chain I've used. My last one had just over 4,000 miles on it without the chain tool dropping into the links. The current one that's on my bike now has almost 3,000 miles on it. I use Squirt as my chain lube but I don't see why any other quality lube wouldn't give you the same or similar results.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-22-20, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I don't know about best, but this one is very functional and portable.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Six-Pa...0162618&sr=8-3
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-22-20, 01:23 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I don't know about best, but this one is very functional and portable.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Six-Pa...0162618&sr=8-3
Thank you for addressing my question!
Old 05-22-20, 02:29 PM

having your own thread with your question posted might have saved you & everyone effort.