Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

LOOK 753, from frame prep to fnished build. An evolving pictorial.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

LOOK 753, from frame prep to fnished build. An evolving pictorial.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 06:14 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
If the derailleur doesn't hold long-term, I suggest a shim made out of metal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-06-10, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
If the derailleur doesn't hold long-term, I suggest a shim made out of metal.
I'm using the shims from JensonUSA, they are plastic and seem to work fine...for now. The SRAM Force is holding the 26.6mm seat tube. I'm using the 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" shim.

Yes I did see the TDF with the MASSIVE crash at the end. Does anyone know of any live streaming for the tour? At work they have a projector for whimpy world cup cry baby because he touched, "pushed" me but not the I am going faster than a car and a dog made me fall and road rash my entire right-side of the body and I think I have a broken collar bone but I'm going to keep riding and stay competitive. [/vent]
Old 07-07-10, 10:13 AM
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Worked on the chainline. As it turned out just mounting the crank and checking the measurements was all that was required.

From a point halfway between the rings to the center line of the frame is about 43mm.

The rear spacing is 130mm (with the hub spreading the original 126'ish mm). So from the center line of the hub to the inside face of the drop is 130 divided by 2 = 65mm. From the same hub center line to the idealized chainline we measured 43mm at the crank.
65 minus 43 = 22mm, which should be the distance from the inside face of the right drop to the middle of the cluster.

Now all I need is to go find a 10 speed chain.... anybody know if I can keep using my old chain breaker on these narrow ones?
Old 07-07-10, 10:17 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
You're cold setting a 753 frame? Danger Will Robinson!! I've seen people with unimpeachable credentials as builders saying it's sure to result in catastrophe.
Old 07-07-10, 10:27 AM
Mostly Mischief

For some reason I think I will loose less sleep over such a bold and daring act, than even considering riding a carbon fork.

Anyway, the rear on this bike is more like 127mm, and although having not measured the hub over the lock nuts, I can say that inserting the rear wheel is completely effortless.
Old 07-07-10, 10:30 AM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,138 Times in 558 Posts
Now that is ingenuity. I'd be worried about the FD slipping, but if it holds then more power to you! Just a thought: Maybe fill the gap above the PVC with wax to keep the gunk out. Btw, I think it's comical that I needed some spacers to get the Avocet on my LOOK and settled on a piece of irrigation tubing, and you resorted to PVC for spacing your FD. Who knew the plumbing isle had so much to offer the bicycle mechanic.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 07-07-10, 10:36 AM
Mostly Mischief

Gaucho, did I mention that your story was pivotal in my sudden urge to try one of these frames?
Old 07-07-10, 11:05 AM
Señor Member

I use my chain breaker on 9 speed chains. Never had the opportunity to use a 10-speed chain.
Old 07-07-10, 11:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I use my chain breaker on 9 speed chains. Never had the opportunity to use a 10-speed chain.
I used my chain tool on a KMC DX10SC. Worked just fine though I figured out quickly that the SRAM instructions don't translate directly to KMC chains. I really like the PVC idea . I will be using that if my SRAM Force FD slides away with my current expensive-but-cheap plastic from JensonUSA...site didn't say whether it was metal or plastic .

My Bianchi project is awaiting SRAM shifters but the current dt frictions shift 9/10 cogs buuut that's a longer story. LBS jammed the last cog on and torqued the lock ring so I'm going into the shop AGAIN . They've been very good so far .
Old 07-07-10, 12:06 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by noglider
If the derailleur doesn't hold long-term, I suggest selling it and getting one with the proper sized clamp.
fify.

Jan, as you didn't have to wrestle with the frame to fit the wheel in, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Attempting to force 753 is not a good idea. If you have any doubts, ask Hilary, or John Thompson about the dangers. I'd sure not wish to read about any further mishaps involving you.
Old 07-07-10, 12:22 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pcfxer
I'm using the shims from JensonUSA, they are plastic and seem to work fine...for now. The SRAM Force is holding the 26.6mm seat tube. I'm using the 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" shim.
Yes - there is acutally a bonafide official insert that is made for just this purpose. I think I paid $7 for mine, and used it on the Palo Alto when I first built it up. So far, 6,000+ miles with no issues at all. The PVC looks like a good solution, though!

Mine looks like this:

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-07-10, 12:27 PM
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Jan, if you are using a Campagnolo chain, it is not advised to re-use a pin. You are better off using a Campy specific 10 speed quick link.

I have used my old park CT-3 chain breaker to shorten the chain to proper length, but have since bought the new CT-4.2 chain tool.
https://www.parktool.com/products/det...=5&item=CT-4.2

I know you don't have an aversion to picking up a new tool now and again.
Old 07-07-10, 04:49 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,138 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Gaucho, did I mention that your story was pivotal in my sudden urge to try one of these frames?
No, but I had some suspicions. I hope you are as pleased with yours in the end as I am mine.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 07-07-10, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Granted, I have limited Campy 10s chain experience...but...my Veloce 10s chain is running well after sizing it with a standard Park tool and joining it with an SRAM Powerlock.

FWIW...

Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Jan, if you are using a Campagnolo chain, it is not advised to re-use a pin. You are better off using a Campy specific 10 speed quick link.

I have used my old park CT-3 chain breaker to shorten the chain to proper length, but have since bought the new CT-4.2 chain tool.
https://www.parktool.com/products/det...=5&item=CT-4.2

I know you don't have an aversion to picking up a new tool now and again.
Old 07-07-10, 08:21 PM
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge
Granted, I have limited Campy 10s chain experience...but...my Veloce 10s chain is running well after sizing it with a standard Park tool and joining it with an SRAM Powerlock.

FWIW...
That will work just fine. You should NEVER try to reuse one of the pins, like you would on a chain like most of us are used to.

I used to just size it right the first time and use the supplied extra pin, now I use one of the compatible removeable links, and carry an extra one in my seat bag as well. I use a Campy chain, and a KMC Missing Link, 2 for $10: https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A0309

Last edited by Old Fat Guy; 07-07-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 07:44 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Love the Campy toolset, brings back memories, thanks for all the great pix. Get well soon!
Old 07-08-10, 12:57 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
You're cold setting a 753 frame? Danger Will Robinson!! I've seen people with unimpeachable credentials as builders saying it's sure to result in catastrophe.
Agreed. DON'T attempt to cold set 753. Reynolds stresses that 753 should never be cold set. At Trek we tried cold-setting a damaged 753 team frame, just to see what would happen. It would just flex and return to the original set until we exceeded a certain level of force. Then the tubing buckled.

Don't try it at home unless you have a disposable 753 frameset and some time to waste.
Old 07-08-10, 01:38 PM
Mostly Mischief

Okay, all you 753 owners: Don't cold set your rear spacing!!

This I take to mean OVER-bending, with or without the help of levers, bars, muscle etc, until the frame springs back only as far as the new wider drop out spacing, and stays there.

Very different from the permanent adjustment procedure of cold setting is the benign act of simply inserting a rear hub 3-4mm too wide. I would be very surprised if this can cause any adverse effects on the La Vie Claire LOOK frame in question, given the moderate amount of force needed. In fact the rear wheel slipped in so easily that I had completely forgotten about spacing issues until I read the posts above.

Actually, I wonder how many of us really bother cold setting when 'upgrading' a 126mm frame, of any type of steel, to modern drive trains.
Old 07-08-10, 01:45 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
...Actually, I wonder how many of us really bother cold setting when 'upgrading' a 126mm frame, of any type of steel, to modern drive trains.
I'm guilty on one count. I don't have all the cool tools though, and paid the shop to do it.

Sorry to have sidetracked the thread a bit, but I feel better knowing you're not the next Dr. Strangelove, riding a bomb to your doom.
Old 07-08-10, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm guilty on one count. I don't have all the cool tools though, and paid the shop to do it.

Sorry to have sidetracked the thread a bit, but I feel better knowing you're not the next Dr. Strangelove, riding a bomb to your doom.
Actually, that was Major "King" Kong, played by Slim Pickens.
Old 07-08-10, 05:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, just found this thread, this is a lovely build, gonna be awesome when its finished.
Subscribed !!!

Sorry to hear about your injury, get well soon
Old 07-08-10, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
[Actually, I wonder how many of us really bother cold setting when 'upgrading' a 126mm frame, of any type of steel, to modern drive trains.[/QUOTE]

I've got an old magazine where Shimano said they designed the first 130mm 8 speed Dura Ace hub to be forced into 126mm spaced frames. Remember, when Shimano first came out with 8 speed nobody was making 130mm frames.
Old 07-08-10, 10:32 PM

Bikes: 1973 concord fixie conversion, 2001 canondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I'm now in love with these look frames. Im now officially on the lookout for 1. I can't wait to see how this build turns out. I love the paint jobs that were put on them. Reminds me a lot of mondrians art.
Old 07-08-10, 11:28 PM

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Look frames have a special place in my heart. Looking good.
Old 07-09-10, 12:43 AM
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Beautiful bike Jan,

I've cold set a few frames using one of my Jorgensen clamps, I won't recommend that anyone in their right mind do it though.

But I've also bent a 20-30 raleigh back into shape by clamping the chainstay and dropout to my woodworking bench and leaning on the frame. With wooden faces in the vices of course. Definitely not something I'd try with a frame made of R531or better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.