Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike as a Comfortable (Mainly Road) Bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Bike as a Comfortable (Mainly Road) Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,231 Posts
Depends on traffic. Steady flow of cars and trucks? a few days. Saw a car just yesterday? Give it a month or two, unless it freezes first.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-16-21, 09:56 AM

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Depends on the road conditions

Preferring the gravel bike more and more as time goes on. Paved roads are in bad condition where I live, and with traffic and spring windy season, danger level is uncomfortable.

Gravel rides are more relaxed and enjoyable, and gravel roads get me to lesser traveled paved roads.

I think they're paving the main road through my town now, so the road bike may see some more use this summer. On smooth roads the road bike slicks rule, but smooth pavement is getting hard to come by.
Old 05-17-21, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Wow, I think I might like to live where they are just getting around to paving the main road into town!

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Preferring the gravel bike more and more as time goes on. Paved roads are in bad condition where I live, and with traffic and spring windy season, danger level is uncomfortable.

Gravel rides are more relaxed and enjoyable, and gravel roads get me to lesser traveled paved roads.

I think they're paving the main road through my town now, so the road bike may see some more use this summer. On smooth roads the road bike slicks rule, but smooth pavement is getting hard to come by.
Old 05-20-21, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
I'm loving my gravel bike with 2 sets of wheels. Perhaps I'm a weeny, but 72.5 head angle is plenty sharp for me, the bike handles great. Have 40c gravel tires with 11-34 on one wheel set (Maxxis Rambler) and 32c (GP5000s) on the other with 11-28. I'm not slow, but 57, and the 48/31 rings work great with those cassettes. If I spin out, then I should be focused on the road more and peddling less. Pretty rare.
Old 05-27-21, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 446 Posts
I'm running two wheelsets with my gravel bike. WTB Nanos on one set and Panaracer GK + slicks on the other. Both have11-42t cassettes. I got tired of tweaking the derailleur so I'm using the same size cassette. All I do is minor barrel adjustment settings, if anything at all. I live in an extremely hilly area, every direction I go it's an uphill grind!
Old 05-27-21, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

For the price I like the
Triban RC520 105 11 speed from Decathlon USA $1200. They use the same frame on one of their gravel bikes.
Comes with 700x28 tires but says you can fit up to 36. Depending on the rim width and tire you can even go to a 38 and maybe even a 40.

Does comes with quick-release wheels and only comes in 5 sizes, but the XL would fit me nicely.
They just sold out a few sizes this week and are down to XS. Not sure if they ship to Canada.
The last time I check Decathlon does not ship to the USA and they have more bikes to choose from.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/r...sc-105-rc-520?

Last edited by Joeyseven; 05-27-21 at 03:19 PM.