Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 hours, thats a nice long commute! can you convince others in the auto-business that cars would work better with 2 wheels, no motor and pedals? My commute has been really sweet lately, since the kids are back in school. My son leaves at 7 for the bus, my daughter walks at 7.45 and I walk leave my youngest at elementary school at 8.35 which leaves me 25 minutes to get 5 miles to work- no problem. It was clear and cool today and I just got by with my shorts and T-shirt but I'll need something warmer soon!

-S
Old 09-17-08, 09:21 AM
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
Not a bad ride in. No collisions, no near-misses, no nuttin'.
hope your Mrs is ok from yesterday.

Getting used to my new route, vehicles are not a problem, loving the extra ride time. Cooler this morning than yesterday, but I warmed up quickly.
Old 09-17-08, 09:27 AM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foggy as all getout, hit 33.5mph on the downhill, personal best running on 26 tires. Almost tagged a guardrail, got careless, couldn't bleed enough speed off on the turn.
Old 09-17-08, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Canondale CAAD 10 3; Trek 7200; Motobecane Grand Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute today was by bus to NYC to attend a conference. No bike.
Old 09-17-08, 10:27 AM
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had MD appointment in the morning so didn't start the commute until about 9:30, once I got into downtown there wasn't any traffic so that was cool, nice temp too about 65 and low humidity.
Old 09-17-08, 11:22 AM
Ridin' Hard.

Bikes: I have cut my stable down to one bike in hopes to make room for a roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Temperature of about 52F, foggy, and it's real dark here at 5:30AM. I assumed it would be warmer this morning than yesterday because the expected high is about 10 degrees higher; boy was I wrong. Luckily, I only have about a mile ride to work. I think its time to break out the warmer clothes and heavy gloves.
Old 09-17-08, 11:27 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Nice ride, drop daughter and her trailer downtown, ride out gravel rail trail to bank, then into work. Had to stop to adjust FD, made me wonder why I hadn't done that weeks ago.

Also, today is supposed to be the last warm day of the year, pushing 80, then back to the 60s (at most) forever. Hope not but well teeth are gritting.
Old 09-17-08, 11:34 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
Warm and hellishly windy... I almost had to stop and flip my wheel.
Old 09-17-08, 11:39 AM
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 457 Posts
nice cool, sunny commute this morning on the old Higgy:

the small chain ring and bmx crank are a leg saver on the way home. right out of the gate there's a STEEP hill.
Old 09-17-08, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First long sleeve jersey commute of the season. I'm ambivalent about it.
Old 09-17-08, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in this morning, a little warmer than yesterday at 9°C/48°F. Stopped by the LBS last night to look at full-fingered gloves and ended up walking out in a new pair of cycling shoes with flashy new pedals on my hybrid. I love clipping in!
Old 09-17-08, 12:19 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
nice cool, sunny commute this morning on the old Higgy:

the small chain ring and bmx crank are a leg saver on the way home. right out of the gate there's a STEEP hill.
that must have been a fun ride...cool bike!

Old 09-17-08, 12:36 PM
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bit cool this morning, which was a nice surprise. Monstrous headwind that I'm hoping is still moving in the same direction three hours from now.
Old 09-17-08, 12:39 PM
GATC

ps-> it's definitely going to be headlight time in the am soon, at least until daylight savings, at which point it will become headlight time in the pm
Old 09-17-08, 12:40 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute today--it's my telecommute day. My commute can be 6, 10 or 40 miles rt depending on whether and where I get on and off the subway. Lately I've been opting for the 10 miles, which is nice, but I hurt my right wrist in a(nother @£$%) fall so I've been moving slowly to avoid shifting gears. Last night I was making my way, lights and blinkies ablaze, through an intersection on the green light when the oncoming car began a slow and deliberate left turn in front of me. I stared at her and she stared at me and for a moment we played chicken in slow motion. Then she stopped and I proceeded, gesticulating to show her how left turns are made at traffic lights on this planet. What are people thinking?
Old 09-17-08, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool and the dew stuck to EVERYTHING. My glasses were totally covered in moisture, the bike, water was even dripping down the front of my helmet. It felt really good though. Perfect riding temps, and for being in Georgia it felt really good.

Also, my first day dropping my son off in his new trailer (Which he loves.) I used to drive him to daycare and then bike the rest of the way in, but today I actually got to leave the car, and it was a fantastic feeling.
Old 09-17-08, 01:46 PM
GATC

Last night at the Y I parked bike+trailer on the curbside of a rack, figured it would be easier for someone to use the other side of the rack that way. Well, I was right, this lady in a minivan parked me in on the no-parking side. I was unlocking the bike and kinda lifting it up/over the rack (and other bike) w/ friends and their and my kids and we were all talking and stuff but never louder than the minivan lady on her cellphone. Her daughter in the backseat was just watching us like what the heck is going on.

Tomorrow I am taking the sidewalk side of the rack (if it's available), screw it.
Old 09-17-08, 02:00 PM
#1 Huell Howser Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding my road bike to school rather than the fixed gear. Its nice to show up to class not drowning in a waterfall of my own sweat.
Old 09-17-08, 02:28 PM
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdesjar
that must have been a fun ride...cool bike!
thank you :-)
Old 09-17-08, 06:17 PM
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Terrible is the word for my commute. I suffered the third flat in so many weeks. This time the rain pelted me as searched for my spare tube and didn't find it. I went to a not so local bike shop and bought some bigger heavier tires and tubes. I was running Redstorm street 700c x 23's with bontrager tubes. I am now running some japanese tires and tubes 700c x 28's. Worst of all I had to drive my car today.
Old 09-17-08, 08:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
26.8 miles yesterday (including 3.0 dst milk/bread run) and a visit to Health Connections Gym where they had a presenter from Team Type 1 racer Mark talk about racing x-USA in RAAM last year. Every team member has type 1 diabetes and lives life with it! Inspirational!

The commute was eventfull, different route, untrained cagers (yet).

today i went same route in reverse. simular driver/bicyclist sqeeze in spot, debree (sand + trash) on other side of "safety" rumble strips. i did, as always Vehicular Bicycle and had interesting interchanges with students on a bus i was riding along with at a point. as i kept stopping each time the bus stopped, the students seemed to increasingly be animated by giving waves and thumbs-up! the bus got ahead, then turned around heading the other way. that's when i noticed that the kids had moved to the front of the bus and were involved in same behavior of thumbs-up/waving. it was good to ASSUME that seeds were planted..............

rest of the rides had events worth posting, but i consider the above most important towards change/inclusion!

thanks for asking!

tomg
Old 09-17-08, 09:05 PM
Hydration is important

Bikes: Trek 1500, Schwinn SS conversion, Surly KM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crazy commutes for the past couple days. In central Ohio we got the remnants of hurricane Ike. The winds took down trees everywhere, and scattered debris all over the roads. My commutes have been looking more like cyclocross courses as I am hoping branches and downed trees with the bike on my shoulder. It makes me glad to have my Karate Monkey/Big Apple combo right now.
Old 09-17-08, 09:19 PM

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Horrible headwind today. And the worst part is I was running very late so I couldn't slack off! Not to mention I don't have gears so I have to keep my momentum. I could barely hear my music with the wind passing over my ears.

One upside was the big moon way up high. I tried to keep looking at it but it was up pretty high. I recently replaced a spoke and my wheel has some wobble in it which is kind of a bummer. I'm just happy I didn't get a flat! The Winter is going to be fun! I can't imagine what it will be like changing a tire in a down poor.

If it where easy everyone would do it!
Old 09-17-08, 09:24 PM
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride home was too hot. I was all layered up (thermal shirt and pants, khakis, turtleneck, work polo) from the ride in this morning, and I keep my layers on all day because it's ridiculously cold in the dispatch center where I work.

It was 66 degrees on the way home, which was way too hot to be wearing layers. I didn't realize this until it was too late. It was a very hot and sweaty ride home. Ick.
Old 09-17-08, 10:14 PM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
perfect weather. great ride along the river this am.

almost slammed into a jogger on the way home. He must have reached his turn around point and just suddenly reversed direction as I was about to pass him on the left. I was giving a little ding to my bell but he must have had his headphones on high volume. Fortunately I'm ready for bozo moves by anyone on the BP- it's best ridden like a video game.

Shortly after that another jogger stuck his arm out perpendicular to his body to wave at another jogger running towards him-who did the same thing as they passed !- leaving me inches to slalom through- I have no idea how we managed no actual body contact. Maybe I was in invisible mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.