Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which tires are better for braking ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which tires are better for braking ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 08:08 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,025 Times in 2,688 Posts
[QUOTE=Sy Reene;22851293]
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I guess there's just a lot of big-tire marketing out there, but I'm a sucker for it I guess -- always like the corsas, and maybe the marketing copy is a bit exaggerated:
"This chevron tread pattern adds dynamic performance to the Corsa Control tread, allowing for increased grip on slippery surfaces, as well as added durability."

Having ridden the old Corsa G+ tires through some nasty rain downhill I can say they are really really good tires with loads of grip. I was scared for my life going down basically a 1 lane highway but my tires felt solid and planted and like they didn't want to leave the road.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-09-23, 12:09 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 2,239 Posts
Braking is over-rated. Anticipation and situational awareness are not.

Anyone considering a tire based on braking differences should take up hair splitting as a hobby, a better use of one's time, imho.

edit: there are a fair number of exceptions. Stopping on: Ice, snow, mud, soft sand, wet wooden mossy bridges/structures, trials bikes, predominantly off pavement downhill-going bicycles. The science of specialty tires for specialty situations has been regularly tested and updated by those in each performance driven specialty category. (example: the well established benefit of low pressure tubeless tires for mountain biking (and other) uses)

track riders are very picky about tire surfaces, but not for anything to do with braking.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-09-23 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-10-23, 10:46 AM

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 411 Posts
Makes me think of Harvey Penick's Little Red Book. Something about "how do I put backspin on my golf shots?" ; "How often do you overshoot the cup?"; "Never" ; "Then why do you want backspin?"
Meaning: during normal road conditions, I can't think of any situation in the last, oh, ten years where the rubber compound would have made one iota of difference. Given good tires & good brakes, not cheap stuff, I don't think there's ever been a situation where my skills outperformed the equipment. Any time I experience a slide or a skid, it was definitely my personal failure to anticipate and/or react. Non-normal road conditions? I don't play that.
Old 04-10-23, 11:13 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts
I just remembered an amusing conversation I had with Portland's fix gear guru a few years back. I'd recently bought from him some grippy all weather tires for my winter commuter. (Fix gear with excellent brakes.) I was reporting to him I liked the grip though they were pretty heavy. He said he'd stopped carrying them and had in fact sent his stock back. What?! Answer - the fix gear crowd. They were getting injured try to stop The problem was that the tires were too grippy. They could not start a skip to do a proper brake-less skip stop and were instead pulling muscles and the like trying to initiate those skips.

So - if you really want to stop, take it from the folk who need traction more than anybody else, those who use only their rear tires to stop. Get the slipperiest tires you can find. So obvious I don't know why it took me this long to figure it out.

(I was a favorite customer of that guru despite having a the dirtiest, least upscale fix gear in part because I really rode my fix gear. In all weather. He sold some really nice ones. (3Renshaws and the like.) But he cringed when the brakeless crowd lusted over them because he knew them buying those bikes was a near certain death sentence for the bike.