Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride was in a light snow today, and the temp was 20 F (-6 C). The roads were fine, and only
a dusting occured. The snow crystals were pretty when reflecting in a street light. Coming home
felt much colder, mostly because there was a light wind. The temp was in the 20s, and with the
wind chill it felt colder. The days are getting lighter, with that hopefully the days will be warmer.
Old 02-04-09, 07:14 PM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
apriccisimus is right about the roads around Boston last night. Almost like they'd had enough. But now it seems they've dropped soooooooo much salt- like they're sick of plowing the stuff so they're just going to melt it away.

My bike is caked with salt. It's now a gray bike- it was black.

I wonder what it's doing to my blood pressure?

Today's ride in was fine and the ride home was likewise but it's a messy winter up here in Boston. 18〫F tonight and it feels comfortable so now I know it's mid-winter because I'm used to that. Amazing how adaptable the human body is- went without my mitten covers tonight and my hands were toasty. If it had dropped to 18〫in early December my hands would have been freeeeeeezing.
Old 02-04-09, 07:44 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All the money I've spent on my fantastic light set up didn't do so much good today in a heavy fog.
Old 02-04-09, 08:15 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Sweet ride home. Temp was about 50, just perfect.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-04-09, 08:47 PM
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Rode 17.22 miles today! Had only planned on riding maybe a couple miles, but realized that I had so much business to take care of. And when I was almost to the bike shop, I realized that I had not cashed my check! So, I had to ride back to downtown to cash the check.

Got my tax papers turned in to Budget Services. Should be ready Friday to mail in!!

Picked up my Road Morph pump, and new inner tube. Checked out some of the new bikes. There was one bike in the shop that felt like it weighed less than 15 pounds! Man that would sure be a sweet ride!!

Also checked out the blnikie vest. Does anyone else have a blinkie vest? That's next on my list ....
Old 02-04-09, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Bertoni Road Bike, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 66F when I saddled up for my ride home from the office. Felt like summer. Pushed it a bit to see if I could keep a better pace. Shaved 2 min's off my ride.
Old 02-05-09, 05:33 AM
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 and 15. 15F/-9C and 15 mph headwind. I got hit with one gust that must've been at least 25 mph--it was right at the most exposed spot on my ride, and it is also my decision point for whether to take my alternate, direct-yet-slower, wind-avoidance route. I took it.
Old 02-05-09, 08:27 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

One day makes a big difference. With temps in the mid-40s, my energy is back. (And a bit of a tailwind didn't hurt!) I pushed myself today, pumping hard even up the hills. The old Dumpster Queen was feelinig pretty spry this morning.

Old 02-05-09, 08:29 AM
rehabilitating

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, BMC Streetfire, Bob Jackson Vigroelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was just so beautiful commuting this morning that I had a tear frozen on my cheek.
Old 02-05-09, 08:30 AM
These go to eleven

Bikes: BF Pocket Crusoe; B Tikit; dust-gathering MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another DCist checking in. Didn't commute last week at all. Got back on the bike last night for a 10 mile trip to a meeting, then rode in today. MikenDC, same wind on my ride. Jesus I was slow. I felt like the 40-year old virgin riding through "a bag of sand".
Old 02-05-09, 08:46 AM
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6f, sunny. Toes were pretty much frozen again. Should be the last ride in the single digits for a while. Forecast calls for mid 40's by Sunday. Hopefully the worst (temp wise) is over.
Old 02-05-09, 09:23 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
16F, wore almost the same stuff as yesterday and opened the pit zips on my jacket. The result was less sweat which is always good. The wool/silk and wool/silk/cashmere combos are amazing. Looks good and feels great.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-05-09, 09:51 AM
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another wonderfully mild ride, I could get used to this stuff in February.
Old 02-05-09, 10:55 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Lotta frost but no real ice. Took last 2 days off due to work travel. Nice to be back on the bike. Bummer to have a short week (M and Th F, I'd rather string 3 straight days together and then take 4 off)
Old 02-05-09, 10:56 AM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quite possibly the hardest, most frustrating commute of my 6 years. Not only was it bitterly cold but, there was a constant, unrelenting headwind that kept tearing at my ears and pushing againts me, my chain squeeked mercelessly the whole way in and my legs completely abandoned me (stiff, tired, etc). I struggled, cursing all the way, againts these conditions. The bike felt slow and heavy, the hills were killing me, and there was absolutely no coasting or catching my breath at any point along the way. I also felt totally carb and calorie depleted. I felt like getting off the bike and tossing it into the woods, I barely made it in. I hope things are even slightly improved this afternoon.
Old 02-05-09, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wiped out pretty badly on the commute to work this morning. I had been been on holiday for that last couple of weeks and we've had some serious rain in that time which has damaged some of the roads i travel to work. Anyway i hit a massive pothole that was a result of the flood damage and flew over the bars. Luckily it was just after a 90 degree turn into a new road so i wasn't going too fast. Thankfully the bike is ok and i'm just nursing a few cuts and scratches.
Old 02-05-09, 05:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yikes! Glad to hear that you and the bike are okay.

No commute for me today as I had to attend an orientation for the kids' kindergarten next fall. Just as well, since there's a front rolling in.
Old 02-05-09, 06:17 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yikes! Glad to hear that you and the bike are okay.
I'll say.

Originally Posted by caloso

No commute for me today as I had to attend an orientation for the kids' kindergarten next fall. Just as well, since there's a front rolling in.
Wow that is early in the season. I don't think the current crop has mostly even told the school system they exist yet. More like March/April. Our 4 yr old is going to wish she could do K this fall but her bday is after the cutoff.
Old 02-05-09, 06:57 PM
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Got Soaked Riding To Work

Short commute today. Only 3.4 miles round trip. The last few minutes on the way to work this morning, the sky opened up, and I was soaked to the skin by the time I made it inside. Ride home was dry, sun barely peeking through the clouds, with a strong headwind ...
Old 02-05-09, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I'll say.

Wow that is early in the season. I don't think the current crop has mostly even told the school system they exist yet. More like March/April. Our 4 yr old is going to wish she could do K this fall but her bday is after the cutoff.
We have open enrollment in Sac City Unified. You're guaranteed a spot in your neighborhood school but if you want a charter/magnet/etc. school, you have to enter the lottery by a certain date. Which is next week, I think.
Old 02-05-09, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
farmerlee - Ouch! Sounds like you were unlucky and lucky but that doesn't seem to help. Happy mending.
Old 02-05-09, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention the highlight of the day was when i got to work and they told me i've been switched to a different shift roster so i wasn't required to work that day!
Old 02-05-09, 08:41 PM
You gonna eat that?

I had to work late today; couldn't ride home until it was fully dark out.

It was still warm enough to ride home in shorts though- 66 degrees.

A fairly strong headwind of 16 mph.

But it was so nice riding in shorts I hardly noticed.

Old 02-05-09, 08:55 PM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
We're applying to local magnet schools for our 4 year old. The deadline is next week. I can't imagine already being at orientation...!
Old 02-05-09, 11:16 PM
----

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
Quite possibly the hardest, most frustrating commute of my 6 years. Not only was it bitterly cold but, there was a constant, unrelenting headwind that kept tearing at my ears and pushing againts me, my chain squeeked mercelessly the whole way in and my legs completely abandoned me (stiff, tired, etc). I struggled, cursing all the way, againts these conditions. The bike felt slow and heavy, the hills were killing me, and there was absolutely no coasting or catching my breath at any point along the way. I also felt totally carb and calorie depleted. I felt like getting off the bike and tossing it into the woods, I barely made it in. I hope things are even slightly improved this afternoon.

For some reason I just love this post. It says it all.

It's rides like that one that actually make you a better bike rider. In about 4 months you should read this post again after you've ridden in on a 78〫day with clear skies, a mild wind at your back and broke your record for getting to work. It's because of days like the one you describe in your post that those spring and summer days will be all the sweeter.

and farmerlee- also glad you are okay! yikes.

my bike ride was far less eventful. Left the house and it was 8〫F this morning and the wind was howling. I have no idea what the windchill was. The wind was at my back a good portion of the ride but there were some cross winds that really nailed me.

Crunched, squeaked and crawled my way home tonight in 8〫weather but thankfully the wind had abated so it was quite pleasant.

A warning- never try to remove your rain pants in an empty elevator in the hopes they will be off before the doors open on the 6th floor. Even with a pair of jeans on it's still awkward to be caught with pants around your ankles and have to waddle out through a crowd of amazed onlookers.

Unfortunately, I had removed my face mask so I was easily indentifiable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.