Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaky bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Creaky bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
This kind of noise is just so hard to track down. I've had the following which all sounded like they were coming from the BB: seat post (alloy seat post in steel frame), shoes/cleats (eventually replaced SPD cleats with Crank Bros Candy), freehub bearing failure and actual BB issue (missing washers).
Old 02-17-22, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joearch
I got the call to come and pick up my bike. All the potential creak points were taken apart, cleaned and put back together. Seat post. Pedals, BB, etc. So will see next ride how it goes. At the very least bike ended up with a full service, new chain and cleaned up. BB itself was cleaned but did not need any parts/replacement. Hope I can get in a ride tomorrow morning. Thx for the thoughtful input.
Had creaking noises from my brand new giant tcr advanced 3. Taken to LBS 5 times. Each time the noise went away for a few miles and then it came back. I think they were greasing BB. Finally, after wasting a lot of time and frustration they replaced the frame. All quiet so far.
Old 02-17-22, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Previous ultegra cranksets have been known to fail. Lots of times creaking comes from there.
Old 02-20-22, 12:01 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Finally had a chance to get out this morning. A great 45 mile ride from WLA to Palos Verdes and back. No creak and the bike is fast and smooth. Thx Nir.
Likes For Joearch:
Old 02-22-22, 04:45 PM
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Ahh bb creaks..which half the time ends up being something else on the bike instead. Sounds like your guy knows what he's doing.