Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nice Campy Bits But Unknown Pedigree - Pls Help Me Identify This Frame!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nice Campy Bits But Unknown Pedigree - Pls Help Me Identify This Frame!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by whome?
Hi. Someone recently sent me a PM. Unfortunately because I do not have 10 posts, I am not allowed to see the PM in addition to post images.

Lets see, I joined in 2006 and I have 4 posts. If I keep posting at the same rate, I will probably be eligible to post pics and read the PM in 2033 or so.....
Well, get crackin'!
Old 11-12-19, 12:00 AM

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
After six months of searching, I’m happy to report that Michael Johnson has been found and he is alive and well! I had lunch with him yesterday and he immediately recognized the bike as one that he had built in 1979 – 1980. Congrats to Doug Fattic and others on this thread that correctly recognized the design characteristics indicating that Michael had been a student of the legendary Albert Eisentraut on his way to building over 300 frames as a younger lad in the 1970s and early 1980s. After building these frames for a number of shops including the Cupertino Bike Shop (owned by Spence Wolf), he moved on to other occupations while adding more skills, experience, tools and machines as a metal fabricator.

It was a pleasure to meet him and to share his enthusiasm in re-connecting with one of only a dozen known MJ bikes in Northern CA. He was thrilled to learn of this thread and appreciative of the comments and insights shared by all. I don’t want to provide too much information about him in the hopes that he’ll also provide an update after mine. He remains an avid cyclist and sailor and is excited to join us old vintage types at the next Eroica CA in Cambria next April.

The twisted trail to locate Michael involved many, many internet searches over the past six months with all of them becoming “dry holes.” My biggest fear was that Michael had relocated to some other part of the world or worse yet, was no longer upright in the saddle. Eventually, someone mentioned Steve Rex was a student of Michael Johnson which later proved to be incorrect. However, in a phone conversation, Steve Rex said that he frequently saw Michael at the annual Party Pardee event sponsored by the Sacramento Bike Hikers every spring. Bingo! After several phone calls to POCs within the Sac Bike Hikers, I received Michael’s cell number and reached out to him to find out if indeed he is “the guy.” Fortunately, he is and we were able meet over lunch to discuss the bike, his career and passions, and the wonders and beauty of steel road bikes!

This has been a really interesting journey since acquiring the “mystery bike.” The ownership trail probably won’t be uncovered but now I know the builder and understand that Campy NR and Unicantor are the most likely original components on this really nice bicycle. Seeing Michael re-connect with an old friend was absolutely worth the time and effort.

I wish that I had learned about BikeForum.com 15 years ago. What a boon to find others that share the passion for vintage steel bikes. After learning about this group and forum, I remain hopeful that Michael joins our threaded discussions and reconnects with others in this great community!
Old 11-12-19, 02:29 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
@Flying G

H**Y CRAP, Full Meal Deal, The Rest of the Story, Amazing, Love it when this happens.

Well done!
Old 11-12-19, 03:00 AM

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Nice ending! I love these kind of stories...
Old 11-12-19, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
This bike reminds me very much of my 83 Davidson Signature. It shares similarly delicate lug work and perfect craftsmanship that does not depend on bling chrome, pantographing and wild graphics to impress. Even the paint (Imron?) quality/color is similar to mine.
Just truly classy understated style and elegance from these 70's and 80's American builders.
It is great that many people are now discovering these great American builders from the past, and these Anerican built bikesh are finally being given their well deserved "props" after so many years being in the shadow of the Europeans.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 11-12-19, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It has all the hallmarks of 1970s American framebuilders: fastback seatstays, thinned lugs, extremely precise workmanship, (probably) imron paint, a few hippie-like artistic flourishes.

It's hard to put values on custom road bikes, except for the most well known and prolific builders. Well known Italian factory racing bikes often sell for higher prices, because they are a known commodity. American custom frames from this era were actually better built than most Italian frames. Italian racing bikes were functional racing machines first and foremost. They weren't trying to make a great work of art necessarily.

Oh, I'm also going to go with: it's a Michael Johnson....
Yes, many Italians were tools for racing.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 11-12-19, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Cool frame and cool story.
Old 11-12-19, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
This bike reminds me very much of my 83 Davidson Signature. It shares similarly delicate lug work and perfect craftsmanship that does not depend on bling chrome, pantographing and wild graphics to impress. Even the paint (Imron?) quality/color is similar to mine.
Just truly classy understated style and elegance from these 70's and 80's American builders.
It is great that many people are now discovering these great American builders from the past, and these Anerican built bikesh are finally being given their well deserved "props" after so many years being in the shadow of the Europeans.
I can relate. My Mikkelsen looks like it too shares DNA.

It is amazing that there are so much well crafted American steel out there for trivial prices just because the name is not well known. Actually a lot of vintage Italian stuff like that, too.
Old 11-12-19, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by whome?
I have a Michael Johnson. Same exact color scheme. I tried to post pictures but because I don't have 10 posts I couldnt.....
You can welcome new members in the "Introductions" forum as a legit way to increase post count.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-12-19, 08:09 PM
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
I'm really happy to hear the last chapter of this story! I was particularly curious because it was an unknown exceptionally well made American frame. It would be too bad if a builder of that skill becomes anonymous.
Old 11-27-19, 09:19 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Very cool bike...

First, it's TOM Kellogg...I believe Mr. Fattic is confused because Tom worked with Jeff Duser while at Spectrum (and at Ross). The Michael referenced above at Wheelfine is an interesting cat, and happy to share stories about "the old days". He worked with Boston, Redcay, and Kellogg...and told some stories that may have been...embellished? Wheelfine is well worth a visit...he has plenty of old italians, including a few Marnatis. He also does some painting in the off season. Great guy and a cool shop.

Respectfully...Eisentraut is the father of WEST COAST frame building...there are plenty of east coast builders who are the equal of anyone who had nothing to do with that scene. Ben Serotta, the Whitcomb USA crowd, Mooney, Boston's tree. Heck, Schwinn/Paramount should be getting a lot more credit than they do.
Old 12-01-19, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It was a pleasant surprise to be contacted by the new owner of a frame I built almost 40 years ago. But before I go into that I just wanted to say thank you for all the kind and generous comments. They certainly made my day, thank you very much.

Doug Fattic has an impressive understanding of how it was back then, especially when you consider how isolated we were in the pre-internet world. Eisentraut was the local hero, Imron was the paint, and silver rod was 15 bucks to build a frame. John Kennedy opened Nova Cycles the same year I got my business license. Henry James had started the year before and the spike in the silver market that would push rod to $50 per ounce was a couple of years down the road. I built road and tandem frames until about 1987, the projects and the people made it the best "job" I ever had. I moved on to manufacturing on a larger scale for someone else but I never felt that I had built my last frame. I held on to my equipment and tooling, picking up more over time and assembling the things I had always wanted for a "maybe someday" shop.

It was a happy coincidence to connect with Brian just now. We will be going to Eroica in April in Cambria for my first vintage event. In the summer of 2020 my shop will be finished and I will be able to do some building again. I am really looking forward to working with modern materials and getting to the ideas I had never found time for.

Anyone who has an old frameset who would like information or history please feel free to contact me. mjevo@infostations.com I still have a few OG water transfer decals, new ones coming later in 2020. After things get rolling I will post some pictures to the forum.

Thank you again,
Michael
Likes For Michael Johnson: