Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Waxing chain vs oiling - not looking back

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Waxing chain vs oiling - not looking back

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
Thanks for the nice feedback.

The short answer is I don’t know.

My observations are that when I immerse the room temperature chain into the 93C wax, the bath temperature immediately drops. I swirl to mix the wax elements and to help cavity penetration.

With my setup, the temperature returns to 93C in about 15 minutes. During that time I do periodic swirls.

The chain is then yanked, hung and permitted to cool.

Once cooled, I manually flex each of the links, to change it from a rigid sword back to a chain.
i bought a candy thermometer to check the wax temp but haven't used it yet. The reason I was asking about the wax temp is because of the noise issue. You see, I have been using the Molten Speed Wax for a year and overall I am happy with it. My main concern is chain noise. I really wish I could keep a silent chain beyond one 50 mile ride. I mean, the wax is still on there but after about 50 miles I start to hear this sloshy sound. It doesn't drive me nuts but it is a bit unnerving. It is most notable when climbing hills, standing to climb. This got me thinking about the penetration of the wax and perhaps the wax wasn't hot enough, thus leading to inadequate thinning preventing full penetration of the internals of the chain.
I really wish that my earlier experiment of putting a pyrex cup into a hot ultrasonic cleaner with the wax granules. My Prosonix 3.5 gallon Ultrasonic cleaner is heated and has pretty powerful ultrasonic action but the wax unfortunately does not cavitate.
Old 10-08-18, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
There is no need to check temps, if the wax has melted to the viscosity of water it will fully penetrate the chain, just slosh it around for 10 mins. Dry lubes and waxes will always be a bit noisier than a wet lube as the liquid acts as an acoustic dampener
Old 10-08-18, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
There is no need to check temps, if the wax has melted to the viscosity of water it will fully penetrate the chain, just slosh it around for 10 mins. Dry lubes and waxes will always be a bit noisier than a wet lube as the liquid acts as an acoustic dampener
I thought the exact opposite, a wax coating on everything seems like the ultimate dampener.
Old 10-08-18, 04:04 PM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
The only drawback I've experienced to date is a build up of wax between the 2 smallest gears (Highest speeds) that literally caused my chain to jump. I thought I was keeping this clean with a stiff brush and spinning the wheel, but I found out the wax mixed with road grime and sand just built up and hardened in there. Now every time I wax my chain I use a solvent with peroxide solution to clean wax buildup off the rear cassette and out from between the gears also. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, but I do ride in heavy mist and fog often that soaks everything but that doesn't seem to affect the wax.
Old 10-08-18, 04:57 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
It's a freaking bike chain, I don't understand the obsession with it looking factory new at all times... As long as I clean it and re-lube it frequently, I don't freak out over a black chain. Oh, and NFS is the best lube I've ever used, wet or dry.
Old 10-08-18, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I thought the exact opposite, a wax coating on everything seems like the ultimate dampener.
you would think but in actual practice the dry chain is noisier.

Old 10-08-18, 08:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
Thanks for the nice feedback.

The short answer is I don’t know.

My observations are that when I immerse the room temperature chain into the 93C wax, the bath temperature immediately drops. I swirl to mix the wax elements and to help cavity penetration.

With my setup, the temperature returns to 93C in about 15 minutes. During that time I do periodic swirls.

The chain is then yanked, hung and permitted to cool.

Once cooled, I manually flex each of the links, to change it from a rigid sword back to a chain.

Shouldn't you be allowing the wax to cool down somewhat from 93C, before you yank your chain? Like maybe 70C or whatever?

By taking it out when the wax is that hot(93C), I would imagine too much of it pours out from the chain rollers and lessens the time the chain will have sufficient lubrication?
Old 10-08-18, 08:47 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yeah, optimally you want to have the chain come out of the wax at around 120ºF, hot enough for the wax to remain liquid, but starting to thicken. But wax is really cheap, and a temperature-adjustable crockpot, not so much. I got my Lil Dipper for free, and spent $20 on wax. Having to refresh it more often due to wax loss from overheating isn't really a problem, AFAIC.

If you had the time and the gumption, I think a sous vide cooker might be the way to go-- put the chain and the wax in a sealed bag, drop it in the water bath set to like 140ºF, and leave it overnight.

I'm sticking with the simple method, and just constantly tinkering with additives. So far, nothing I've tried has really shown a worthwhile improvement above just straight paraffin.

EDIT: I was wrong about the temperature control. Currently ordering this: Elite Gourmet MST-250XS Slow Cooker which is a whopping $17, and according to one of the reviews, does 135ºF on keep warm, 170ºF on low, and 210º on high. Put it on high until the wax melts, switch to keep warm, drop the chain in. Wooo!

Last edited by DrIsotope; 10-08-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I'm using a rice cooker - definitely harder to control temperature.

I'm still in the early stages (less than 200 miles) but so far, so good.
Old 10-08-18, 09:42 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Shouldn't you be allowing the wax to cool down somewhat from 93C, before you yank your chain? Like maybe 70C or whatever?

By taking it out when the wax is that hot(93C), I would imagine too much of it pours out from the chain rollers and lessens the time the chain will have sufficient lubrication?
That has not been my experience.

The Molten Speed Wax instructions are followed, including yanking the chain from a 93C wax bath.

The useful life of the waxed chain has not yet been quantified by me. Each time the test has been interrupted / reset by heavy rain leading to repeating the waxing.

IMO the service life is very long, w/o needing any attention, remaining clean and quiet.
Old 10-09-18, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

I'm sticking with the simple method
Simple in this context is a relative term
Old 10-09-18, 07:24 AM

Bikes: Scott Speedster S30, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Oh, and NFS is the best lube I've ever used, wet or dry.
Agreed! Lasts forever and is fairly clean. Less is actually more w/ this lube.
Old 10-09-18, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by VeeArSix
Agreed! Lasts forever and is fairly clean. Less is actually more w/ this lube.
I've found the application instructions not to be satisfactory (12 random drops), so I use a monoject syringe and put a very tiny amount on each link. That way I'm not overdoing it, yet each link gets lube.
Old 10-11-18, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I use muc off dry lube. Man this stuff is a difference maker .you want a smooth reliable ride that won't gum up and dirty your drivetrain? This is it. Without all the hassle of wax. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-11-18, 09:31 AM

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I don;t know, the waxing process always seemed a bit of a bother to me. Whenever I read up on it, people come up with their ultrasonic cleaners, and soaking the chain in three different jars over the course of a week.. No thanks.

I just use the Rock n Roll Gold lube, and it lubes well and leaves the chain really really clean. Doesn't attract any dirt and grime compared to other lubes and oils. You do have to reapply it more often than other lubes.
Old 10-11-18, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic

I use muc off dry lube. Man this stuff is a difference maker .you want a smooth reliable ride that won't gum up and dirty your drivetrain? This is it. Without all the hassle of wax. Just my 2 cents
i just got some of this to try after my next cleaning
Old 10-12-18, 04:33 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been using pretty much the same technique as Doc I. Little Dipper crock pot, plain Gulf paraffin. I only wipe the chains down before soaking them in hot wax again. After the initial solvent stripping of the factory oil, I don't clean them again. It's pretty simple after that initial solvent stripping. Much neater than any wet or spray lube method I've tried.

For a few months I've used Boeshield T-9 to touch up the waxed chains every 100 miles or so, after I can hear the waxed chain making a little noise. The T-9 quiets the chain. Maybe it runs a little smoother, I dunno, nothing I can measure in terms of road speed. Boeshield reportedly is just solvent (naptha, I think) and paraffin. The solvent dries pretty quickly. The chain wipes clean pretty easily with just a paper towel or napkin.

Good enough for our mostly dry climate. If I rode more often in wet weather I'd probably go back to a water resistant wet lube for an errand or commute bike. But I don't ride the road bike in wet weather if I can avoid it.
Old 10-12-18, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I just use the Rock n Roll Gold lube, and it lubes well and leaves the chain really really clean. Doesn't attract any dirt and grime compared to other lubes and oils. You do have to reapply it more often than other lubes.
Same here except I found out that I need to apply it less often than other lubes (once in about 400 miles). I usually let it dry out for a few hours after application. Exceptionally smooth and dead silent drivetrain in both dry and wet conditions, much cleaner chain. Not sure what are the ingredients, AFAIK it is for the most part some kind of solvent + teflon.
Old 10-12-18, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I went the other way, and won't be coming back to wax.
Old 10-12-18, 10:44 AM

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Currently using Dumonde Tech (smells great, no complaints) but I only ride when it's sunny so I think I will try this one as well.
Old 10-14-18, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I use Chain-L. Lasts a long time, and doubles the life of my chains.

Home Page Chain-L High Mileage Bicycle Chain Lubricant
Old 10-14-18, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
It's a freaking bike chain, I don't understand the obsession with it looking factory new at all times... As long as I clean it and re-lube it frequently, I don't freak out over a black chain. Oh, and NFS is the best lube I've ever used, wet or dry.
Agreed. It's just a chain. These days I use any wet lube on hand, wipe the chain after every ride, and re-lube as necessary. Every six rides or so, pop off the master link, 2 minute bath in mineral spirits, re-lube and back on the bike it goes.
Old 10-14-18, 09:34 PM

I use Blaster cable and chain lube. $3-4/can. I've gone at least 200+ miles covered in dirt and/or water with it. I usually rinse off the drivetrain or just wipe the dirt off and reapply and wipe off excess. Quick and nothing elaborate. I've got my share of chain ring tatoos. Oh well. I have no idea how long it lasts in clean dry conditions. So far I have 3000+ miles on my KMC X10SL with it and that is just about every ride in some type of water, dirt, or gravel. In theory, the SL design "clears dirt", maybe not but I got 3x the life compared to the regular x10.93 with WL Epic Ride lube which were getting me about 1000 miles each. The type of lube and wear really depends on what you are doing. No one best for everything.

Last edited by u235; 10-15-18 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 08:38 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Chain waxing is fun. I don't bother with the temperature monitoring or anything crazy like that, I just set a cheap crockpot to high and leave it in there for like 30 minutes. At this point I can break and install a chain in a couple minutes or less, which is the total amount of time I spend per month caring for the chain, No re-lubing, no wiping, no cleaning.... nothing.
Old 10-15-18, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Ha. Yeah, Back when I was a nube, I had a mountain bike that I raced and then retired it and commuted 5000 miles total to work, rain or shine. Never took the chain off, never cleaned it, and "lubed" it with WD40. It worked flawlessly until it was stolen. Now I use a good chain lube, but still don't clean it. I'm still trying to figure out what length socks to wear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.