Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What a difference a full bike fitting at an LBS makes!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What a difference a full bike fitting at an LBS makes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
No, it's a good thing you didn't pay for that fitting if he was 1/2 inch off on his first guesstimate.

This thread makes me glad I refused the free fitting during the purchase of my last bike.
He was certainly more helpful than your baseless screeching that I immediately ditch a two week old bike. Frankly the tone of your posts almost turned me off posting on this forum entirely.

Please do me a favor and don't interact with me on these forums any further. Thank you.
Old 07-06-13, 09:46 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedalocity
He was certainly more helpful than your baseless screeching that I immediately ditch a two week old bike. Frankly the tone of your posts almost turned me off posting on this forum entirely.

Please do me a favor and don't interact with me on these forums any further. Thank you.
Sorry you feel that way but you must admit, your post was pretty much senseless in that your fitting was terrible. It's hard to sit back and watch posters posts topics that are just way off base. This is a public forum and if you don't want to be criticized or corrected while posting junk threads, then you are better off not posting until you learn a thing or two before spouting off how sweet your bike is when it's not.

Fitter being helpful setting up a bike disgustingly wrong is not helpful. You ought to be thanking me for setting you and that so called "fitter" straight. I'm not sure how you expect to come here posting a bunch of garbage and not expect to be corrected. Thanks to me, now you know your fit was a bunch of garbage and had it corrected, you are welcome!

Baseless screeching? Geeze dude, anybody with half a brain will tell you that fit is everything on a bike, and yours was garbage. The fact you went back and the "fitter" (hahaha) had to move the saddle 1/2 inch tell you he's not very good at his job.

As far as selling your bike, learn how to read. I did not suggest you sell your bike, I suggested you get a bike that fits. The way you had it set up was silly and again, anybody with a half a brain would suggest you "BUY" a bike that fits from the start. If I had bought a bike sold to me by incompetent salesmen, you can bet I'd be back there demanding a bike with proper fit.

You may think this is senseless screeching but the next uninformed poster that sees his bike set up the way yours is, will know there is something terribly wrong.

Another little something to tell you your bike does not fit correctly. If the "fitter" (hahaha) had the saddle set so poorly but you noticed a great improvement in your performance, then moved it back 1/2 an inch, then you'd definitely lose that great gain you once had when it was set up in the poorly (poorly as in safety sake, read the saddle manual as that is where I got some of my senseless screeching).

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 07-06-13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-06-13, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedalocity
In all fairness, it wasn't necessarily the fitter's fault. Given my clyde proportions, he would not have been able to visually see the seat under my seat, so unless he's psychic he couldn't have visually known I was sitting a little too far forward on the seat compared to how I actually ride. Hell *I* didn't realize I'd been sitting too far forward on the seat until I was riding and noticed that as I rode I actually was sitting further forward than I do just putzing around at very low speeds.

The bottom line is, with his help I find the bike miles more comfortable to ride than I did guesstimating on my own or with the extremely lackadaisical fitting help I was receiving at the LBS I bought the bike from.

As it turns out, I am going to have to return this saddle though, it works really well on my seat bones but it is putting more pressure than I am comfortable with on my perineum and I really need a saddle with a cutout.
A good fitter most certainly is going to notice. He's also going to take one look at where that saddle ended up and and realize that something is really wrong. So there's no way around it: either he's not a good fitter, or he just didn't care about your particular fit.

Another issue is that despite the fairly drastic mistake, you still felt great on the bike. That fits the pattern: folks almost universally feel great after a fitting. It's like sick people feeling better after the doctor visit. And of course you felt even better after he moved your seat again, just like people feel even better after they get another fitting - never mind that they were convinced everything was perfect the first time around.

Now, none of this should be taken as a knock against you personally. I'm glad you're happy with the way your bike fits. The point I am trying to make is about the cult of bike fitting. It's a modern phenomenon that really makes me scratch my head. I guess some of us "old timers" just get a little grumpy about seeing folks having to hire an "expert" for every damn little thing.
Old 07-06-13, 12:19 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced SL 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Six jours
Now, none of this should be taken as a knock against you personally. I'm glad you're happy with the way your bike fits. The point I am trying to make is about the cult of bike fitting. It's a modern phenomenon that really makes me scratch my head. I guess some of us "old timers" just get a little grumpy about seeing folks having to hire an "expert" for every damn little thing.
Like I said, the adjustments made the handlebars and grip angles have been a marked improvement over how the bike was initially. My hands no longer start to get numb, my arms are much more comfortable as with the stem flipped and dropped a spacer I no longer have my shoulders parallel with my elbows when I'm leaning into the bike. Finally, with the seat adjusted a second time my legs no longer feel scrunched up when I am pedaling.

Since I didn't even have to pay for the fitting, and overall the bike does feel much better, I'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. If I'd had to pay for the service, I might be inclined to be a little more annoyed that he didn't notice I wasn't sitting properly on the seat.

Basically all I'm saying that despite that hiccup with the seat, the bike feels much more comfortable for me to ride, which encourages me to ride more and longer distances instead of just trying to live with what was making me uncomfortable.

I'm not sure whether that makes me part of the so-called cult of bike fitting or not
Old 07-06-13, 01:47 PM

You sure you weren't bending your arms too much during the fitting? If he didn't notice, your bars might be totally off. Imagine how much better than perfect you could feel!
Old 07-06-13, 01:50 PM

In all seriousness, good for you. A free fitting from the LBS is a fine service for many folks, even if the fitter hasn't quite reached guru stats yet. The simple fact is that the basics of fitting are not hard to master, so if a cyclist has absolutely no idea how to set up his bike, a few minutes of effort from the average LBS employee can be very helpful.

But it's also possible to set up your bike very well yourself, without the kind of glaring mistake you experienced, by doing a bit of research on your own. "Competitive Cyclist" has a very well thought-out bike fit calculator available online at no charge, and using it properly just about guarantees a decent set-up. The cultists sneer at such things because they don't involve lasers or mumbled incantations or the transfer of hundreds of dollars, but there you go.

Last edited by Six jours; 07-06-13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 06:18 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
A good fitter most certainly is going to notice. He's also going to take one look at where that saddle ended up and and realize that something is really wrong. So there's no way around it: either he's not a good fitter, or he just didn't care about your particular fit.

Well put!