Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Had a great time on Sunday at the monthly Velo-Retro Ride in Pasadena, CA.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Had a great time on Sunday at the monthly Velo-Retro Ride in Pasadena, CA.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 09:48 PM

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Everyone tried to get out of the sun today so it was hard getting single bike shots thos time around. But at least I got a group shot.

I had alot of fun that day,besides a flat, a minor spill (not me) , some delicious pizza ,and the Heat ,it was a Great Day out on the road.
Your Bottechia was pretty cool.

I'll post some video footage soon.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 08-05-19, 10:02 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Sorry to have missed it, but with the predicted heat, I wimped out. Looks like a good turnout. Next time !
Old 08-06-19, 12:10 AM

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I debated for the entire day Saturday whether I'd ride. I went and it was about 83 deg. at 11:10 when I got started. The pack had already left and it took me about 25 minutes to catch up with them just as Manny had his flat! Luckily there was a bit of a decent breeze, it wasn't too humid, and the pace was comfortable for me. I made a number of short stops to be sure I drank plenty of electrolyte laced water to stay hydrated. Last year I stubbornly tried to keep pace and not stop and I almost had heat stroke when I finally reached our rest stop, Beantown Cafe. This time I rode comfortably after taking a long draw of water and cooling in the shade for a couple of minutes before the slow climb on Sierra Madre. I felt a lot better getting into Beantown but still felt hot - now the ambient temp was 93 degrees but boy, the sun beating down sure felt even worse.

Refueled at Beantown, then the remainder of the pack left just before I could get going. Never did catch them this time, which was ok, I was riding more to my own pace but averaged 14.5 mph for the whole ride which is pretty good for me. Happy to have survived in good shape this time.
Old 08-06-19, 07:50 AM

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
I debated for the entire day Saturday whether I'd ride. I went and it was about 83 deg. at 11:10 when I got started. The pack had already left and it took me about 25 minutes to catch up with them just as Manny had his flat! Luckily there was a bit of a decent breeze, it wasn't too humid, and the pace was comfortable for me. I made a number of short stops to be sure I drank plenty of electrolyte laced water to stay hydrated. Last year I stubbornly tried to keep pace and not stop and I almost had heat stroke when I finally reached our rest stop, Beantown Cafe. This time I rode comfortably after taking a long draw of water and cooling in the shade for a couple of minutes before the slow climb on Sierra Madre. I felt a lot better getting into Beantown but still felt hot - now the ambient temp was 93 degrees but boy, the sun beating down sure felt even worse.

Refueled at Beantown, then the remainder of the pack left just before I could get going. Never did catch them this time, which was ok, I was riding more to my own pace but averaged 14.5 mph for the whole ride which is pretty good for me. Happy to have survived in good shape this time.
I believe I rode with you on the climb heading into beantown.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 08-06-19, 12:22 PM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
The Los Angeles area is just so frikkin BIG and the traffic is the worst in the world.

For my part, I just can't imagine driving 60 miles, twice passing into and across the heart of LA's worst traffic just to do a bike ride. That would be at least two hours in a car,... at least. Then, you're riding on city streets.

I'm sure it's fun. I guess if you are local, it must be nice. For me, it is too far to go for too little reward. Bummer! :-(
Old 08-06-19, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
I would drive a long ways to do this every month, you guys rock.
Old 08-06-19, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by malcala622
I believe I rode with you on the climb heading into beantown.
Yes, you did and I appreciated the company and encouragement along the way. I’m not much of a speedster or climber plus the heat was oppressive. Having someone to ride with helps keep the mind focused on more than just feeling overwhelmed with the physical conditions.

BTW are you also a member of the vintage stereo site Audiokarma.org?
Old 08-06-19, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
The Los Angeles area is just so frikkin BIG and the traffic is the worst in the world.

For my part, I just can't imagine driving 60 miles, twice passing into and across the heart of LA's worst traffic just to do a bike ride. That would be at least two hours in a car,... at least. Then, you're riding on city streets.

I'm sure it's fun. I guess if you are local, it must be nice. For me, it is too far to go for too little reward. Bummer! :-(
Hey BL, where abouts in SoCal are you? I’m in La Habra only about 28 miles away but accessing the nearest freeway takes 20 minutes by itself. Even with no traffic and a a fast avg. speed, my route of 60 or 605 to 210 to Rose Bowl Aquatic center takes between 48-55 minutes drive.

I don’t know how long you’ve been in SoCal but I’ve lived here most of my life so I’m used to driving long distance or times in routine travels and appointments. My daughter’s medical care is at UCLA (my college alma mater) 36 miles away across the heart of LA and takes 47-60 minutes during late morning or early afternoon with good traffic and carpool lane. Getting home after 4:30 takes 2.5 hours! It is what it is.

I’ve been riding with the Velo-retro group for about 4 years now and really enjoy the people, the many different vintage bikes, and the ride itself on mostly quieter Pasadena streets, even on Sunday midday. I don’t mind the drive because there are few vintage focused rides around with people so knowledgeable about their bikes or vintage bikes in general. And we do have people that drive in from as far as San Diego (128 miles, 2.5 hours) or Ventura (70 mi 1.25 hours) or North San Fernando valley (Sylmar - a measly 23 miles and 25 min.)

The ride itself is more social than huge challenge, being 24 miles, 860 ft of climb at max 4%. But it’s fun and you get to meet other classic steel friends. C’mon out and join us at least once (maybe when it’s not quite this hot!) and hope you’ll enjoy it enough to come out again. I do understand if you don't feel the travel is worth your time, YMMV.

Velo-Retro: Rose Bowl Ride
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13571304

I'm at 64 y/o now and just glad to be reasonably healthy, able to ride and train, getting a bit better every time, and enjoying being with like minded people who also like bicycles along with their other varied interests. The Velo-Retro ride is, to me, a lot of fun and rewarding enough ride and socially at the same time. I like to think you'd enjoy it too.

If you want more of a ride challenge, there's plenty of riding groups out there although much less groups oriented towards vintage steel.

If you do want a much bigger vintage centered challenge (unless you're a really superior climber), meet us April 4-5, 2020 at 6th annual Eroica California 2020 ride and festival. It's probably a 3.5-4 hour drive up the coast for you but I'll suggest its well worth it IF you're into vintage steel, and a bit of a challenging ride, depending on your choice of suffering, er, enjoyment - 35 miles 1400 ft of climb up and down the Pacific Ocean shoreline, 74 miles with 5700 feet of climb, 81 miles with 6400 ft of climb, or the Heroic Route at 108 miles and 8200 feet of climb.

www.eroicacalifornia.com
https://eroica.cc/en/california/gall...ica-california

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-roll-call.htm

Last edited by mech986; 08-07-19 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Thank you for the invitation. I am sure the ride and the people are pleasant. The whole "vintage cycling" thing is what I do. It's just normal for me.

I live in the South Bay. I am near the beach, so I have easy access to the bike path for many/most of my rides. Combine the beach bike path with the loop around Palos Verdes and you can have just about any ride length you want.

It is always cool or cooler here than in Pasadena and there is always a breeze coming off the Ocean. Air quality is better, too.

I am just very conflicted by the idea of commuting to a bike ride, despite my attraction to the event's theme.

This may seem all very negative. It is not intended to disparage your ride in any way. For those who are local enough or willing to commute, I bet it is a LOT of fun.
Old 08-07-19, 02:47 PM

Yes, you did and I appreciated the company and encouragement along the way. I’m not much of a speedster or climber plus the heat was oppressive. Having someone to ride with helps keep the mind focused on more than just feeling overwhelmed with the physical conditions.

BTW are you also a member of the vintage stereo site Audiokarma.org?
Anytime Mech ill climb alongside you.

Ive never heard of AudioKarma, do I have a twin there?
Likes For malcala622:
Old 08-07-19, 08:39 PM

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Thank you for the invitation. I am sure the ride and the people are pleasant. The whole "vintage cycling" thing is what I do. It's just normal for me.

I live in the South Bay. I am near the beach, so I have easy access to the bike path for many/most of my rides. Combine the beach bike path with the loop around Palos Verdes and you can have just about any ride length you want.

It is always cool or cooler here than in Pasadena and there is always a breeze coming off the Ocean. Air quality is better, too.

I am just very conflicted by the idea of commuting to a bike ride, despite my attraction to the event's theme.

This may seem all very negative. It is not intended to disparage your ride in any way. For those who are local enough or willing to commute, I bet it is a LOT of fun.
Use Google maps to give you an estimate of your driving time for your Departure and Return time. It might not be as bad as you think. The Pasadena Freeway to the 110 shouldnt be too bad at that day and time.
Old 08-11-19, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 92 Posts

Come on, man. Where’s your sense of commitment? I’m the guy that started this thread and I drove down from Sacramento to ride with these fine folks.
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 08-12-19, 08:54 PM

Heres a Video of the latest ride August 4,2019.

(still working on my video editing skills,next up Text on video,,,I hope)

Likes For Manny66:
Old 08-12-19, 09:51 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Come on, man. Where’s your sense of commitment? I’m the guy that started this thread and I drove down from Sacramento to ride with these fine folks.
I seriously need to ship a bike down and ride with y'all. I grew up there (well, South Pasadena), but now I live next to Portland, Oregon. One of these days...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-12-19, 09:57 PM

Thanks for posting the video, Manny! Next best thing to being there.
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 08-12-19, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I seriously need to ship a bike down and ride with y'all. I grew up there (well, South Pasadena), but now I live next to Portland, Oregon. One of these days...
Now that would be a crazy drive.
Old 08-15-19, 05:27 PM

If you ride a 55/56cm bike you can always use one of mine

Cool vid @Manny66.
Old 08-15-19, 09:30 PM

Hey Jeff, there’s quite a contingent of Portland PDX based vintage steel riders there, many who rode at Eroica 2019. My BIL Ben Ngan, John Siemsen @gugie @Andy_K @merziac @SquireBlack come to mind as well as a number from Washington as well. I suspect you guys could put together a regular monthly or quarterly vintage ride of your own!

Would love to have you down here (on not quite as hot a day!) to join us though, let us know if you ever make it down.

Bart
Old 08-15-19, 09:37 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Hey Jeff, there’s quite a contingent of Portland PDX based vintage steel riders there, many who rode at Eroica 2019. My BIL Ben Ngan, John Siemsen @gugie @Andy_K @merziac @SquireBlack come to mind as well as a number from Washington as well. I suspect you guys could put together a regular monthly or quarterly vintage ride of your own!

Would love to have you down here (on not quite as hot a day!) to join us though, let us know if you ever make it down.

Bart
I've ridden with them all and noshed at Atelier Gugie. I miss the rides from the dear, departed Velo Cult.

Malcala: I appreciate the offer but I'm 6-foot-4 of Big Ugly. I can squeeze onto a 60cm frame but that's a little cramped for me.

Old 08-15-19, 09:41 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Bart
Yep, you would think we could get a C+V ride going, easier said than done, no luck yet. I wish I had been at Leroica 2019, only 2017 for me so far. I saw Jeff at the Wyeth to Lindsey creek dedication a couple of weeks ago but we didn't ride together as he was hangin with his recumbant peeps.
Old 08-15-19, 09:42 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by merziac
Yep, you would think we could get a C+V ride going, easier said than done, no luck yet. I wish I had been at Leroica 2019, only 2017 for me so far. I saw Jeff at the Wyeth to Lindsey creek dedication a couple of weeks ago but we didn't ride together as he was hangin with his recumbant peeps.
Keep Portland Weird: it's not just a bumper sticker!

Old 08-15-19, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've ridden with them all and noshed at Atelier Gugie. I miss the rides from the dear, departed Velo Cult.
Don't we all! Ah, Velo Cult! We hardly knew ye!
Old 08-15-19, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Don't we all! Ah, Velo Cult! We hardly knew ye!
Time for the Velo ride PDX, monthly during the summer maybe?
Old 08-15-19, 09:59 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by merziac
Time for the Velo ride PDX, monthly during the summer maybe?
Yes! As long as someone else organizes it. I've led rides for the recumbent gang (aka the Lawn Chair Nation) for years but I'm pretty burnt out.

I have a couple bike projects going right now- one vintage Schwinn Super Sport, one recumbent to replace my broken Gold Rush.

(Apologies to everyone for the thread-jacking. I get excited, that's all.)

Old 08-15-19, 10:17 PM

And therein lies the rub, we're a fickle lot in my estimation, @jyl was our champion for the VC run. @gugie is the tourmaster so another would need to take up the torch. Not likely to be me as I can hardly keep up with myself on rides, let alone organize one so.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.