Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go clydesdales only 19 more pounds till im no longer considered
Old 10-25-10, 05:02 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good for you, Bleep. I, too, am getting close - 18 pounds. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-26-10, 11:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
down to 271 from 292 on Sept 8....
Old 11-01-10, 03:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well done you guys . Thats some very impressive weight loss.

Craig b and Bleep hope you'll stick around when you've made the Clydesdale threshold. you've been a great source of inspiration and encouragement to me and many others
Old 11-01-10, 05:18 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't speak for others, but as long as I'm hanging around the bikeforums website, I'll be spending most of my time here in the Clyde section. I've found not only the same great advice that can be had in some of the other sections, but without the truckload of occasional (frequent?) attitude. This is the friendliest section we've got - at least among those I've sampled.
Old 11-01-10, 07:18 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by CraigB
I can't speak for others, but as long as I'm hanging around the bikeforums website, I'll be spending most of my time here in the Clyde section. I've found not only the same great advice that can be had in some of the other sections, but without the truckload of occasional (frequent?) attitude. This is the friendliest section we've got - at least among those I've sampled.
50+ is very nice too. Every now and then someone yells that kids should get off their lawn, but aside from that, it's friendly.

Old 11-01-10, 08:11 AM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^ You're right - I do visit 50+ frequently (though not as frequently as here) and find them to be pretty reasonable folks, and should have said so. They're kind of like a middle-ground between the Clyde/Athena section and the road group.
Old 11-07-10, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Serene Citi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I am a bike forums virgin but please don't hold that against me. To top it off, I am in Austin, Texas where every biker I see looks like Lance Armstrong. I guess if I'm female that makes me an Athena? I am trying my darndest to get this weight off and have a Huffy bike but I feel like I'm just too heavy for it but I can still ride it. I have a bad Achilles tendon so I try to go between biking and walking but biking definitely seems to be a better workout all around for me. I am looking to buy a new bike and ended up here. Anyone have any good suggestions for me? I'm at 300 and I'm 5'11".
Old 11-07-10, 12:36 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Glad you joined.
Got to ask what is your budget?

Old 11-07-10, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say anywhere between $300 to $600 but knowing my husband, he will say that he'd rather I get what I need and spend a little extra for quality.
Old 11-07-10, 12:40 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Something like this would be good.
If it looks nice offer $250.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/2047049997.html

https://www.cheapstingybargains.com/2...s-hybrid-bike/

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/141191/

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-07-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot! I will look into that one.
Old 11-09-10, 11:21 AM
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all! This is my fist post in the Clyde forum in a long time. I spend most of my forum time on the Mechanics and Tandem Forums. I am resurrecting a weight loss effort that I have struggled with for some time. I'm an avid cyclist logging 2,000 to 3,000 miles each year and competing in a couple of endurance MTB events annually. At this point, I'm really just tired of being "pretty fast for a fat guy". I have played that role for too many years and have a goal to get 75 pounds off permanently. I weighed in yesterday at 239# and have a goal of 164# which would put me about 5 - 10 pounds above my high school weight. That goal may be adjusted as I get a better grip on my body's changes in the 30 years since high school. It's not so much a weight goal as a particular level of fitness that I am after. I will be 49 in late January and I have a goal of being more fit and healthy at 50 than I was at 40. That gives me 15 months which I think is reasonable.

I'm making a simple start to get eating under control. This first week, I am consuming 1000 calories per day. Next week 1200. The following week 1400 and then on to 1600. My body and life style suggest a daily need of 2600 calories. I am just starting out very strictly in order to get into better habits as far as quantity. My guess is that by the time I get to 1600 calories per day, I will feel like I am getting plenty.

I decided to post here so I have a group of similarly interested people to share motivation and frustration with. If all goes well, I will no longer qualify as a Clydesdale sometime next year and I hope to be able to thank others here for continuing support. I will post a before picture on the before/after thread and weekly weights as well in the biggest looser thread. I would say "wish me luck" but luck is of little value in this, perseverance is what I need.
Old 11-14-10, 09:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was over 215 lbs at 5' 9" about 3 weeks ago im at 198lbs right now. I was a avid runner but recently injured my left heel, ever since biking has been the best alternative, i currently own a 1984 scwhinn traveler and a 1985 peloton, as the weight drops, im hoping i can get into a lighter faster bike. The goal is 175lbs, for now.
Old 11-15-10, 07:28 AM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome, blamp28 and starlet119. Good to have you with us.
Old 11-15-10, 09:59 AM
Confuzzled

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Surly Traveler's Check (frame - current project!), Fuji Crosstown 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone!

6' tall, 230 lbs. I was 265lbs in February of 2010 and got sick of being so heavy. Through diet and moderate exercise got to about 228lbs, and then through biking and travel fluctuated between 221 and 230.

I got into biking at my new job - I found myself in California for extended periods of time with a mountain bike I could borrow whenever I wanted. Loved it and am a starting to build a stable: Masi Gran Criterium road bike (absolutely love it!), already had a hybrid bike, and due to the high amount of travel bought a Surly traveler's check frame and am contemplating a build. Any suggestions?

Anyway - hello to fellow Clydesdales!
Old 11-15-10, 10:53 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi bromo good to have you with us.
Old 11-15-10, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starlet119
I was over 215 lbs at 5' 9" about 3 weeks ago im at 198lbs right now. I was a avid runner but recently injured my left heel, ever since biking has been the best alternative, i currently own a 1984 scwhinn traveler and a 1985 peloton, as the weight drops, im hoping i can get into a lighter faster bike. The goal is 175lbs, for now.
Welcome Starlet. that is a pretty impressive weight loss for just 3x weeks . I couldn't lose that much if I stopped eating all together lol.

Do you mind me asking what you did to lose that much weight in such a short time . ? I am really struggling to lose weight at the moment and keep losing motivation because I cannot see any improvement.
Old 11-16-10, 07:48 PM
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Howdy all, I'm new here.

6'3" 324 lbs as of yesterday. My peak weight was about 2 years ago at 370. I couldnt even get the mail without getting a bit winded. I had some oral surgery and the antibiotics they put me on killed off everything except some C. Diff. . Thats an evil nasty bug. I lost 100 lbs in just 4 months because of that critter. It crapped out my gallbladder (finally removed a few months back), damn near took out my liver. Damaged my entire intestinal tract. Well, I finally cleared the bug when they yanked out the gallbladder. But by then I had put back on some of the weight. I recently decided I was done with this out-of-shape crap and decided to get back into cycling. (in high school and college I rode 20-40 miles a day, road, mountain, trials, you name it). So last week I talked my older brother (who is also sorely out of shape) into joining me next year in riding a century. We haven't picked a venue, and therefor a date, but its increasingly looking like it will be in Colorado, which is going to be hell as I live just a hundred feet or so above sea level. It will be quite a challenge, but I need it.

As for equipment, I still have my old bike. a GT Zaskar I bought back in the early 90's. Its a pretty light weight bike and its strong enough to take my hulk, so I doubt I'll get a new one just yet. What I desperately need is a pair of padded shorts. I rode just a couple miles today and my arse is sore!

I've read a bunch of posts here and it seems like a good group of people.
Old 11-20-10, 10:04 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Haff
Howdy all, I'm new here.

6'3" 324 lbs as of yesterday. My peak weight was about 2 years ago at 370. I couldnt even get the mail without getting a bit winded. I had some oral surgery and the antibiotics they put me on killed off everything except some C. Diff. . Thats an evil nasty bug. I lost 100 lbs in just 4 months because of that critter. It crapped out my gallbladder (finally removed a few months back), damn near took out my liver. Damaged my entire intestinal tract. Well, I finally cleared the bug when they yanked out the gallbladder. But by then I had put back on some of the weight. I recently decided I was done with this out-of-shape crap and decided to get back into cycling. (in high school and college I rode 20-40 miles a day, road, mountain, trials, you name it). So last week I talked my older brother (who is also sorely out of shape) into joining me next year in riding a century. We haven't picked a venue, and therefor a date, but its increasingly looking like it will be in Colorado, which is going to be hell as I live just a hundred feet or so above sea level. It will be quite a challenge, but I need it.

As for equipment, I still have my old bike. a GT Zaskar I bought back in the early 90's. Its a pretty light weight bike and its strong enough to take my hulk, so I doubt I'll get a new one just yet. What I desperately need is a pair of padded shorts. I rode just a couple miles today and my arse is sore!

I've read a bunch of posts here and it seems like a good group of people.
Welcome, Haff. Congratulations on the new start!

Old 11-21-10, 04:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 60 y.o. and my fighting weight is in the 275 lb range. I ride single speed 1930s - 50s Roadmasters that weigh in at about 60 lbs. A body in motion really does tend to stay in motion, especially when the total mass is about 3 and 1/4. I have a herd of Roadmasters - a dozen or so - mostly with the Shockmaster style springer forks and big 3 spring saddles. They really are the Cadillac of classic bicycles.
Old 11-21-10, 07:12 AM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Road Master. Good to see another Indy rider here.
Old 11-22-10, 02:17 PM

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo & an old dept store cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinEm
To top it off, I am in Austin, Texas where every biker I see looks like Lance Armstrong.
Yeesh, I know what you mean, though I have been pleased to see a mix of body types (and skill levels) on Town Lake.

Hi all, I'm new to posting in this thread, but not in reading it. I'm an Athena at approx 196, with a goal weight of around 160 (or mebbe a little less?), so I'll remain an Athena. Well, I don't know how accurate the goal weight will be if I build enough muscle, so really the goal is to lose 2.5 inches around my middle. I was down over the summer, but I was also hiking 4 days a week! When that stopped, the weight came back up. I ride an older Gary Fisher and love it, but have yet to really put it through its paces. I'm also in the process of making ridable an older dept. store cruiser.

I have to agree, this is one of the friendliest forums! Glad to make everyone's acquaintance!
Old 11-24-10, 01:08 PM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 2021 Giant Defy Advanced Pro Zero, 2015 Giant Trance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all!

I'm like a super Clyde!
I'm 6'2" 330. I played football in hs and drank a lot watching football in college!
I've been seriously riding for the past couple seasons with my buddy. I am currently riding a Kona Dew FS which is ok but it's aluminum and is quickly getting tired. I've been scouring the net trying to find a solid steel frame touring bike and am open to suggestions although I probably will go through the posts here to see what all the other clydes are riding.
My buddy and I call ourselves team ogre he's 6'9" and 260ish so we tend to stick out while riding. But we enjoy it. We love seeing the little skinny guys and gals and passing them by, snickering about how we bet he can't eat a whole frozen pizza himself... Hahaha
Old 11-24-10, 01:47 PM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome but I can't eat frozen pizza's either. I have to cook them first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.