Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why would hydraulic brakes fail after 6 mos in storage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why would hydraulic brakes fail after 6 mos in storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Well, my thanks go to everyone who replied with useful comments.

I'll take out the garbage now.

=K
Old 12-14-23, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also worth remembering his approach to having his rear brake pushed off center in yet another crash was not to re-center it, but rather to tie the one side to the seat stay with twine. I saw it IRL, he really did that.
Hey I was proud of that fix. Gebhard said he had never seen it before when taking it in for a spoke replacement and wheel trued.
Old 12-14-23, 07:04 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10507 Post(s)
Liked 12,054 Times in 6,172 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Hey I was proud of that fix. Gebhard said he had never seen it before when taking it in for a spoke replacement and wheel trued.
If you'd asked me, that time we met on Canada Rd, I'd have lent you my multitool with the 5mm allen key and you could have fixed it right there and then.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-14-23, 07:23 PM

If you'd asked me, that time we met on Canada Rd, I'd have lent you my multitool with the 5mm allen key and you could have fixed it right there and then.
the twine did fix it.
Old 12-14-23, 07:25 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,123 Posts
That was not because he found it innovative. It was because people just don't do that.

Old 12-14-23, 07:25 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3986 Post(s)
Liked 7,441 Times in 2,993 Posts
I think he was being diplomatic.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-14-23, 07:31 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

the twine did fix it.
That's like saying you fixed a flat tire by just taking the tire off and riding on the rim.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-14-23, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck M
That was not because he found it innovative. It was because people just don't do that.
I said “what did you think of how I fixed my brake?” When I noticed that they had fixed it, and he said something like “well, I cannot say it wasn’t inventive” or something along those lines.
Old 12-14-23, 08:00 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think he was being diplomatic.
I said “what did you think of how I fixed my brake?” When I noticed that they had fixed it, and he said something like “well, I cannot say it wasn’t inventive” or something along those lines.
I was wrong. He was being diplomatic.

Old 12-15-23, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
Sorry if I’m being thick but wouldn’t your “fix” stop the brake pad on that side from reaching the rim?
Old 12-15-23, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Brake bleeds are pretty easy once you get the hang of it. There are also some simple shortcuts to removing air bubbles without having to do a full bleed. Just make sure you are using quality syringes and can maintain an air tight seal on the line once you open it up. When finished pumping the go-go juice (aka mineral oil or DOT fluid) through the line close off the port at the caliper first, then close the port at the shifter. It's easy to ruin a perfectly good bleed if you close the port at the shifter before closing the port at the caliper.

Lastly, it should go without saying that you need to remove the brake pads and insert a bleed block before performing the bleed, but I've seen people perform this task with the pads in place and it usually doesn't end well. Best of luck! Learning to perform your own bike maintenance is a beautiful thing .
Ummm wouldn't 'stop stop juice' be the correct term???
Old 12-15-23, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by choddo
Sorry if I’m being thick but wouldn’t your “fix” stop the brake pad on that side from reaching the rim?
No, but it took me a long time and many attempts to get it adjusted perfectly and once I had it how I liked it I was not keen on revisiting it, even after genejocky pointed out the bolt I needed to loosen. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Old 12-15-23, 10:33 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 952 Posts
SRAM DOT brake system?
Every single brake system I have seen that has the behavior that you describe has been a SRAM DOT system.

The fluid, although supposedly higher performing (resistant to boiling) when new, is very hydroscopic. It literally sucks moisture through the seals and quickly, quickly degrades becoming a greater volume of fluid...and poorer performing that mineral oil. Since the system is a fixed volume the pistons push out.

The "fix" is regular fluid replacement and bleeds.

You could also simply get a mineral oil based system like every other manufacturer that is not SRAM.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-15-23, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3986 Post(s)
Liked 7,441 Times in 2,993 Posts
No, but it took me a long time and many attempts to get it adjusted perfectly and once I had it how I liked it I was not keen on revisiting it, even after genejocky pointed out the bolt I needed to loosen. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
The correct phrase in this case is "If it's still broke, why fix it?"
Old 12-15-23, 12:00 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

But, you know, a brake that doesn't brake IS broke.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-15-23, 05:36 PM

But, you know, a brake that doesn't brake IS broke.
he seems to be saying it could still brake

I don’t see how with presumably fixed length twine under tension holding part of the brake to the frame but I’m clearly missing something here.
Old 12-15-23, 06:29 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

he seems to be saying it could still brake

I don’t see how with presumably fixed length twine under tension holding part of the brake to the frame but I’m clearly missing something here.
I saw it in person. It could not. The whole brake was twisted off center so that one caliper arm couldn't reach the rim, and the other - which had been rubbing on the rim - was tied to the seatstay with twine, so it couldn't reach the rim either.

What he's saying is that he didn't MIND that it didn't brake.

Old 12-15-23, 07:47 PM

The caliper arms both still actuated, even though im grabbing it by one of the arms and fighting the adjustment bolt, it would still actuate and brake fine. Rim brakes are a robust braking system, if i tried something similar with disc brakes I wouldn't have a chance
Old 12-16-23, 06:45 AM

I saw it in person. It could not. The whole brake was twisted off center so that one caliper arm couldn't reach the rim, and the other - which had been rubbing on the rim - was tied to the seatstay with twine, so it couldn't reach the rim either.

What he's saying is that he didn't MIND that it didn't brake.

Good grief. And he said he lives on a steep hill too. I guess it would be ok half the time.
Old 12-16-23, 06:46 AM

The caliper arms both still actuated, even though im grabbing it by one of the arms and fighting the adjustment bolt, it would still actuate and brake fine. Rim brakes are a robust braking system, if i tried something similar with disc brakes I wouldn't have a chance
Do you have a photo of this miracle of materials science? I want to know how something that's tied with twine with enough force to hold it out of its resting position can then move against that pull.

I quite like rim brakes for their aesthetics and nuanced feel, in the summer. I have them on my main road bike. But there's no question that discs are far superior at stopping - especially in the wet. And they're still pretty straightforward to maintain.
Old 12-16-23, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,994 Times in 3,087 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
SRAM DOT brake system?
Every single brake system I have seen that has the behavior that you describe has been a SRAM DOT system.

The fluid, although supposedly higher performing (resistant to boiling) when new, is very hydroscopic. It literally sucks moisture through the seals and quickly, quickly degrades becoming a greater volume of fluid...and poorer performing that mineral oil. Since the system is a fixed volume the pistons push out.

The "fix" is regular fluid replacement and bleeds.

You could also simply get a mineral oil based system like every other manufacturer that is not SRAM.
I have both SRAM and Shimano brakes and neither need bleeding on a regular basis and certainly not after just 6 months sitting in the garage. Humidity is pretty high here too.

Noisy pads were probably down to contamination just before going into storage. Maybe rust forming on the discs. Clean, dry discs and pads can sit happily for 6 months without issues. Calliper pistons can sieze up though if left unused for a long time.
Old 12-16-23, 08:13 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 952 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have both SRAM and Shimano brakes and neither need bleeding on a regular basis and certainly not after just 6 months sitting in the garage. Humidity is pretty high here too.
I'm sure they probably don't. Just reallying my experience with a small handful of bikes that were unused and exposed to the elements. A couple, like 4vor 5, and the fluid always came out in really poor condition. I have yet to experience any piston push out due to fluid degradation with any mineral oil system. The common denominator has been DOT. So, I thought it worth mention.

Maybe the difference is that you use your regularly? I don't know the physics on that. Maybe any moisture in the piston/caliper area isn't left to stagnate? I'm sure someone on the Internet has a better theory

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-16-23, 08:24 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by PeteHski

Noisy pads were probably down to contamination just before going into storage. Maybe rust forming on the discs. Clean, dry discs and pads can sit happily for 6 months without issues. Calliper pistons can sieze up though if left unused for a long time.
I've never had any experience with SRAM, but I feel from what I read here frequently that I must have the most trouble free Shimano hydraulic brakes on the planet. Hydraulic brakes are not that difficult to use and service.

Last edited by Chuck M; 12-16-23 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Self moderated trollish comment.
Old 12-16-23, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,994 Times in 3,087 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I'm sure they probably don't. Just reallying my experience with a small handful of bikes that were unused and exposed to the elements. A couple, like 4vor 5, and the fluid always came out in really poor condition. I have yet to experience any piston push out due to fluid degradation with any mineral oil system. The common denominator has been DOT. So, I thought it worth mention.

Maybe the difference is that you use your regularly? I don't know the physics on that. Maybe any moisture in the piston/caliper area isn't left to stagnate? I'm sure someone on the Internet has a better theory
Our bikes see no use over winter, but I do squeeze the brake levers a few times in the garage whenever I remember. Just to prevent piston seize, but maybe it helps with the fluid too. I've never had to give it any more thought. Of our half dozen or so bikes, 2 of them use mineral brake fluid, the rest use DOT.

I rarely have to bleed brakes of any type. For example my 2019 MTB SRAM brakes have never needed bleeding and have spent 4 whole winters sat unused in the garage. The brakes still feel good and the pad clearance is normal. You could argue that the fluid needs changing to restore maximum braking performance in extreme use (higher fluid boiling point), but I don't overthink it. If I get a spongy lever then I bleed them and this doesn't happen very often IME. At least not with the current crop of brakes. I remember having to do more regular brake bleeds on older brakes from the early 2000s, regardless of fluid type.
Old 12-16-23, 10:53 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Do you have a photo of this miracle of materials science? I want to know how something that's tied with twine with enough force to hold it out of its resting position can then move against that pull.

I quite like rim brakes for their aesthetics and nuanced feel, in the summer. I have them on my main road bike. But there's no question that discs are far superior at stopping - especially in the wet. And they're still pretty straightforward to maintain.
Especially if you have a lot of extra business cards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.