Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Planning on buying a new bike? Act soon

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 03:25 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Bikes, bike accessories, components and even steel frame building materials are going to get more expensive;

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/article/us-tariffs-bicycles-52947/
Old 09-19-18, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I should be able to reduce my spending on cycling components, at least for a while.
Old 09-19-18, 04:55 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by 02Giant
I should be able to reduce my spending on cycling components, at least for a while.
I'm happy I just procured components for my Pinarello.
Old 09-19-18, 07:51 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Some

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Bikes, bike accessories, components and even steel frame building materials are going to get more expensive
Perhaps even most. But not all.

Note: For the purpose of the discussion on new tariffs on Chinese bicycle goods, Taiwan as a point of origin is not China.

BTW, I just built some new wheels for my bike. Source(s) of parts: Hubs - Taiwan. Spokes - Belgium. Rims - UK. Rim strip - France. Quick releases - Taiwan. Cassette - Japan. Truing stand - USA.

Last edited by tcs; 09-20-18 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 08:07 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Maga

A friend works for a company that just spent $2 M to build a plant on the west coast. They pack and ship alfalfa. Hired a bunch of people and got to work. Making a lot of money. Then the tariffs. China stopped buying and started importing alfalfa from South America. They closed the plant and everyone lost their jobs.

Last edited by bruce19; 09-19-18 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 07:20 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by tcs
Some

Perhaps even most. But not all.

Note: For the purpose of the discussion on new tariffs on Chinese bicycle goods, Taiwan as a point of origin is not China.

BTW, I just built some new wheels for my bike. Source(s) of parts: Hubs - Taiwan. Spokes - Belgium. Rims - UK. Rim strip - France. Quick releases - Taiwan. Cassette - Japan. Truing stand - USA.
If the tariffs remain in place long enough, almost all manufacturers will adjust pricing upwards. Any company that has a major competitor that is forced to increase prices significantly due to tariffs will adjust their pricing to improve profits. It's not just Chinese products that will be more costly, it effects the entire market.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-20-18, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't really have anything to add, I just wanted to get a post in before the lock.
Old 09-20-18, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
IBTM/L

Getting a new wheelset built for my tourer/commuter. Deore hubs. DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. 700c, 36H, Rhyno Lite rims. Should be ready late next week. After 8 seasons, the extensive rim wear of the LHT's original wheetsel has made them dangerous to ride. Also, the rear hub is pitted. Liking things to match, I decided to go with a new from hub as well. I will probably donate the hubs to a youth cycling program.

Doubt I will need any other major purchases any time soon.
Old 09-20-18, 07:51 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Don't Americans have $800 duty free in import purchases when they are buying something outside the USA?
Old 09-20-18, 08:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Any company that has a major competitor that is forced to increase prices significantly due to tariffs will adjust their pricing to improve profits.
If they're satisfied with their market share at the new level of business at the higher consumer prices, perhaps.

Last edited by tcs; 09-22-18 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I buy used, so I guess the results will trickle down ...?
Old 09-20-18, 08:57 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Don't Americans have $800 duty free in import purchases when they are buying something outside the USA?
Yes!

The new tariffs will give off-shore on-line sellers of components and accessories in the UK and Europe an advantage.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-20-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 09:02 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I buy used, so I guess the results will trickle down ...?
I'm hoping my C&V collection will be come a little more valuable. I'm glad I completed all my updates to my bike collection earlier this year. I won't be spending as freely on new components in the future for a number of reasons.

The C&V world will change with upgrades becoming more costly. Will buyers look for used instead of new? Hard to say.
Old 09-20-18, 09:03 AM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
How much bike stuff is made in The People's Republic of China vs. Taiwan? I'm aware that carbon frames often are, but don't most of the rest of so-called "Chinese" imports (like the aluminum and steel frames made in Giant's factories) actually originate from Taiwan (which is not the target of the trade sanctions)? Shimano parts, for example, are made primarily in Malaysia and Japan.

I get the feeling that the "bike industry" is using this as an excuse for across-the-board price increases.

If the only part made in PRC is the bike's carbon frame, and let's say the frame is 1/2 the total cost of the bike, the bike price should go up 12.5%, not 25%, if there is a 25% import duty on the carbon frame.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-20-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 09:32 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by wgscott
How much bike stuff is made in The People's Republic of China vs. Taiwan? I'm aware that carbon frames often are, but don't most of the rest of so-called "Chinese" imports (like the aluminum and steel frames made in Giant's factories) actually originate from Taiwan (which is not the target of the trade sanctions)? Shimano parts, for example, are made primarily in Malaysia and Japan.

If the only part made in PRC is the bike's carbon frame, and let's say the frame is 1/2 the total cost of the bike, the bike price should go up 12.5%, not 25%, if there is a 25% import duty on the carbon frame.
This is an excellent summery of the situation. My company uses imported bearing steel, which is no longer made by anyone in the United States. Imported "bar stock" steel was hit with a 25% tariff this summer. The steel contributes 30% to the cost of the finished product. This created an instant 7% price increase on product coming out of our factory in Indiana. We also import nearly identical products from Japan. Finished product from Japan was not effected. Imported Japanese product did not get the same price bump, but prices will go up.
Old 09-20-18, 10:12 AM
Occam's Rotor

This is an excellent summery of the situation. My company uses imported bearing steel, which is no longer made by anyone in the United States. Imported "bar stock" steel was hit with a 25% tariff this summer.
So is ALL imported bar stock steel taxed with the 25% tariff, regardless of whether it is coming from POC, Taiwan, Japan, or wherever there isn't an exemption?

If so, I was under the false impression it was specifically targeting POC.
Old 09-20-18, 10:24 AM
Have bike, will travel

So is ALL imported bar stock steel taxed with the 25% tariff, regardless of whether it is coming from POC, Taiwan, Japan, or wherever there isn't an exemption?

If so, I was under the false impression it was specifically targeting POC.
I'm not sure if all steel imports were hit. However, our steel comes from our own factory in Japan and it was hit with a 25% tariff.
Old 09-20-18, 10:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

I Googled around but couldn't find the answer: Do tariffs on finished goods apply on a prorated basis per source of content percentage, or do they apply on the completed item per point of last major transformation?
Old 09-20-18, 10:39 AM
Occam's Rotor

I'm not sure if all steel imports were hit. However, our steel comes from our own factory in Japan and it was hit with a 25% tariff.
That is exactly what I was asking, and I was under the very false impression that it was specifically targeted at China.

(This was the one thing I gave Trump a tiny, grudging amount of credit for. LOL.)
Old 09-20-18, 10:39 AM
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by tcs
I Googled around but couldn't find the answer: Do tariffs on finished goods apply on a prorated basis per source of content percentage, or do they apply on the completed item per point of last major transformation?
This is also a very important question. Thanks for taking a look!
Old 09-20-18, 11:25 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Trade wars primarily serve inflation.
Fact.
Old 09-20-18, 11:48 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Trade wars primarily serve inflation.
Fact.
Exactly, the consumer is the biggest loser and almost no-one benefits.
Old 09-20-18, 03:04 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Exactly, the consumer is the biggest loser and almost no-one benefits.
Inflationary times are followed by recession, therefore those in society who can ride out recessions benefit.
Those citizens fixed income dependent are hurt most.
Economics 101.
Old 09-24-18, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Maga

A friend works for a company that just spent $2 M to build a plant on the west coast. They pack and ship alfalfa. Hired a bunch of people and got to work. Making a lot of money. Then the tariffs. China stopped buying and started importing alfalfa from South America. They closed the plant and everyone lost their jobs.
Wait till china gets a bunch of trash in with the alfalfa.
Old 09-24-18, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noticed Trek has bumped up their prices on the 2019 bikes, been looking at the Domane SL most have increased $180 to $200, SLR looks like it got a $300 hike since checking prices in the last week or so.

Last edited by zippifish; 09-24-18 at 12:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.