Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wind Noise Reduction Solution/s Found

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wind Noise Reduction Solution/s Found

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 12:36 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
My experience is similar to others with tinnitus.... I installed the Wind-Blox last week, and so far they seem to help a little, but not enough.

I have tried using regular foam earplugs, but they block too much. I have a set of earplugs with three different filters OTW, and plan to start with the filter than provides the lowest attenuation.
My wife is an audiologist and says these will do nothing for a person with tinnitus nor is there any claim by the manufacturer that they will. You will need to see a hearing professional for methods to cope with tinnitus and possible solutions on the bike, like noise attenuating aids or plugs. Good luck

Old 07-14-22, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
I don't believe there is a method or human intervention of any kind that successfully addresses tinnitus. Period. A person with tinnitus and hearing loss can wear hearing aids to bring up the signal-to-noise ratio if necessary, and they can wear ear plugs to prevent additional damage when the environmental noise level makes this necessary, but neither of these techniques nor any other known method can reduce tinnitus. As with most heretofore incurable conditions, there are many scams claiming to address tinnitus, so watch out.
Old 07-14-22, 03:26 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My wife is an audiologist and says these will do nothing for a person with tinnitus nor is there any claim by the manufacturer that they will. You will need to see a hearing professional for methods to cope with tinnitus and possible solutions on the bike, like noise attenuating aids or plugs. Good luck
Originally Posted by greatbasin
I don't believe there is a method or human intervention of any kind that successfully addresses tinnitus. Period. A person with tinnitus and hearing loss can wear hearing aids to bring up the signal-to-noise ratio if necessary, and they can wear ear plugs to prevent additional damage when the environmental noise level makes this necessary, but neither of these techniques nor any other known method can reduce tinnitus. As with most heretofore incurable conditions, there are many scams claiming to address tinnitus, so watch out.
very true - there doesn't seem to be any treatment for it, to reduce and certainly not eliminate it.
I just noted it, as a reason why I do wear wind noise attenuating ear plugs... I don;t expect it to be 'cured'. I do find that in a temporary fashion, poor sleep, stress and increased noise levels will temporarily increase the level of tinnitus experienced. On a more long term basis - weeks - I've found the chemo I've been going thru for 3 1/2 yrs now, greatly increases the tinnitus level.
but also, happily, find that when I get a break from chemo, the tinnitus subsides down to a much lower level (not sure if it's the same as before the whole chemo thing began...)
I was concerned when first starting to use ear plugs, that my ability to get enviromental 'signals'/alerts/awareness would be greatly degraded. I was relieved that enough gets thru to keep me fully aware and alert to most everything. But then, I'm always 'into the moment' - I don;t listen to music or audio books... LOL I've always been an active 'observer', so not paying attention is a complete disconnect.
But, man, when I really get the ear plugs set properly, the almost complete lack of wind noise is GLORIOUS !!!
when I ride mtb ot similar woodsy or natural venue w/ gravel, I don;t wear ear plugs. That would mean missing so much which one hears and creates a connection to a natural environment.
Ride On
Yuri
... adding a 2nd fabric layer to my MCGiver ear covers... should be interesting
FYI - my wife is also an audiologist...
Old 07-15-22, 07:32 AM
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The wind whistling by my ears creates an unacceptably loud sound level which makes my ears ring louder. Were you referring to Wind-Blox or earplugs when you stated that they won't do anything? I found that the Wind-Blox (haven't tried Cat Ears, but they seem to be about the same) do very little. I find that foam earplugs solve the problem of too much noise by bringing the Db level down to an acceptable level, but provide too much attenuation. I am going to try filter earplugs with less attenuation to see if I can find a balance.

Originally Posted by rsbob
Old 07-15-22, 09:46 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
It was correctly stated there is no cure for tinnitus. Two suggested ways to live with it are: Always have some form of background noise on at a low level. A white noise machine works well especially when trying to sleep. Soft background music might help as well. The other requires forcing your self to stop focusing or rating the ringing and changing your focus to something else. It takes practice and persistence.

My wife and I both have it to varying degrees.

I usually strongly object to the use of the word, “period” because the individual using it is setting themself as the definitive expert and is trying to close the door or their mind, to further debate. In this rare case, it works, albeit a bit overly strongly. Just my opinion.

Last edited by rsbob; 07-15-22 at 09:50 AM.