Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It IS about the bike.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

It IS about the bike.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 02:58 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rookgirl
So 3 speeds are the gateway drug for road bikes. Oh dear, I'm really screwed now. I already have 6 bikes in the shed...
Oh Dear Lord, you're mainlining! Intervention! Intervention!
Old 08-03-11, 03:01 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You're all mistaken. It's all about the ride. If I didn't enjoy the ride why would I get offa the couch?
Old 08-03-11, 03:06 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
We seem to have similar tastes... but that white chain has to go.

Totally with you on that one man I needed a 1/8" chain in a pinch and the only thing I could get my hands on at the LBS was BMX chain, and my options were White or Green!

Originally Posted by KonaAronSnake
I fully agree that it can be fun to ride anachromisms, but I also think that sometimes people here get carried away when they talk about the functionality of a Suntour derailleur with simplex levers. Yes, they work - no, they don't work as well as modern stuff from any objective perspective
I agree completely even though I know those very folks will respond with further reasons why we're both wrong wrong wrong!

That said if it works well enough for me, and I like it that's all the reasoning I need to use it.....of course I'm not about to try and convince the world that i'm more "Right" for doing it.

I just like it all....I've got that Rod Shifter/Cyclo equipped bike, some DT shifter equipped bikes of varying age, some Barcon shifted bikes of varying age....now I'm working on an 80's Raleigh speedy thing that is probably gonna get some 105 Brifters! Its all fun, and its all personal preference. I know some folks who'd never learn to like 11sp Ergo levers....because they want indexed twist grip shifters. Are they wrong? maybe Contador would think so but who am I to say.

Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 08-03-11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 03:10 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Totally with you on that one man I needed a 1/8" chain in a pinch and the only thing I could get my hands on at the LBS was BMX chain, and my options were White or Green!

I agree completely even though I know those very folks will respond with further reasons why we're both wrong wrong wrong! That said if it works well enough for me, and I like it that's all the reasoning I need to use it.....of course I'm not about to try and convince the world that i'm more "Right" for doing it.
Can we take up a collection to get you a proper chain for that bike, please?

I agree too...it's just that I personally have too much fun with my "anachronisms". Crap, my main home computer is a 10 year old Athlon XP 2100 with 1GB RAM running Windows 7. Go figure.
Old 08-03-11, 03:15 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
Can we take up a collection to get you a proper chain for that bike, please?

I agree too...it's just that I personally have too much fun with my "anachronisms". Crap, my main home computer is a 10 year old Athlon XP 2100 with 1GB RAM running Windows 7. Go figure.
Dude, talk about something with NO charm - "vintage" computers.
Old 08-03-11, 03:20 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Dude, talk about something with NO charm - "vintage" computers.
I know, right!!!?

That's like saying "Well I've got my sack in a vice and I'm really tightening that sucker down good and hard and it hurts like a MF, but its damn hot out there and the Cold Steel really feels good against my skin"

Keith, I am currently accepting Links for a new chain. I've got a PO box though so I can only accept one or two links at a time. Feel free to add to the chain !!

seriously though, yeah I gotta get a better looking chain on that thing.

to keith's computer's credit, Windows 7 is pretty great (comparatively to other windows OS's) and does pretty well on minimal hardware requirements.

Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 08-03-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 03:35 PM
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The appreciation of old technology has everything to do with aesthetics: the way you feel riding, handling, admiring, servicing and fixing an old bike is what makes it special. With a few notable exceptions, new technology performs better, often far better than old stuff. What a fine old bicycle can do that a modern one can almost never match is connect you to your past, hook you up with great engineering minds and fine craftsmen's hands, reveal the many ways tinkerers and geniuses have solved the design & construction problems of human powered vehicles, and stimulate flights of fancy.
Old 08-03-11, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Well put, aixaix.
Old 08-03-11, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Which is where C and V can be a let down...it's hard to take people talking about the joy of simplex derailleurs seriously after you've ridden 11sp Ergo. I grew up with DT shifters, and like em' ok, but compared to modern 11sp Ergo? It's unrefined, inconvenient, CRAP. Durability be damned!
I have to disagree that all DT shifters are crap. Well adjusted tri color or dura ace 7 speed with a sram 8 speed chain shifts extremely fast and consistently. Almost everything else from the 80's and older sucks in comparison IME. Still no replacement for a good STI/ergo/sram setup if you enjoy all out performance.

Last edited by mazdaspeed; 08-03-11 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 03:38 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
to keith's computer's credit, Windows 7 is pretty great (comparatively to other windows OS's) and does pretty well on minimal hardware requirements.
And would you believe to get it all to work I have drivers from W2000, XP, Vista, AND W7 on the machine? For a couple I had to muck the INI files to get the drivers to load for Windows 7...I was damned sure gonna make it work!
Old 08-03-11, 03:59 PM
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I have to disagree that all DT shifters are crap.
There's nobody to disagree with. Nobody is arguing that.

@keith (w/ tongue firmly planted in cheek) - Shoulda gone with Ubuntu
Old 08-03-11, 04:21 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I am not arguing that anyway. Btw- I think the biggest pile of useless garbage is dt index shifting. I prefer 6 sp friction to that.
Old 08-03-11, 04:27 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 559 Posts
I am not arguing that anyway. Btw- I think the biggest pile of useless garbage is dt index shifting. I prefer 6 sp friction to that.
I respectfully disagree.

(Edit: Though, I admit that I do still prefer Simplex retrofriction DT shifters to these DA indexed shifters.)

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.

Last edited by gaucho777; 08-03-11 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 04:28 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How can you say it's useless garbage? My drivetrain couldn't shift more perfectly or consistently. If you're really hammering it's a lot easier to reach down and just shift up or down however many gears than to finesse the shifter. Maybe it's just me but I honestly can't understand how you could think 6 speed friction is better than 7 speed dura ace or ultegra.

BTW you said "I grew up with DT shifters, and like em' ok, but compared to modern 11sp Ergo? It's unrefined, inconvenient, CRAP". I'm not sure how to interpret that other than that you're saying all DT shifters are crap (compared to ergo).
Old 08-03-11, 04:30 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Read it again. Keyword - compared with.

I can say it because it's my opinion...like your opinions you float out as fact
Old 08-03-11, 04:33 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Read it again. Keyword - compared with.

I can say it because it's my opinion...like your opinions you float out as fact
No seriously, if you're in a situation where every last amount of peformance counts, how is 6 speed friction superior to perfectly indexed 7 speed? There are less gears and it takes longer to shift. I seriously don't understand. If you prefer the feel or whatever that's one thing, but it's just plain wrong to call indexing 'useless'. Maybe you were traumatized by campy indexing? I don't know.
Old 08-03-11, 04:36 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Yes all the pros are using 7 speed indexing because it is the bee's knees.....
Old 08-03-11, 04:36 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Yes all the pros are using 7 speed indexing because it is the bee's knees.....
Thanks for the irrelevant snarky comment.
Old 08-03-11, 04:42 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Anytime.
Old 08-03-11, 04:44 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

No seriously, if you're in a situation where every last amount of peformance counts, how is 6 speed friction superior to perfectly indexed 7 speed? There are less gears and it takes longer to shift. I seriously don't understand. If you prefer the feel or whatever that's one thing, but it's just plain wrong to call indexing 'useless'. Maybe you were traumatized by campy indexing? I don't know.
no, seriously...they are chunky shifting, require constant tuning and don't fine tune well. I'd rather use friction.
Old 08-03-11, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
No seriously, if you're in a situation where every last amount of peformance counts, how is 6 speed friction superior to perfectly indexed 7 speed?
Sounds relevant to me as what you described sounds like a race.
Old 08-03-11, 04:51 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Old 08-03-11, 04:52 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked 7,735 Times in 4,099 Posts
Hmmm. I remember my 6-speed 105 index DT shifters working just fine for a LONG time. It's been a while since I ran them though.

I finally got around to running 8-speed Ergos in the late 90s and they were just OK. I went back to friction DT after 2 years on Ergos.

For my pleasure rides I like friction the best. The less noise my bike makes the happier I am. I have 8-speed clincher and 7-speed tubular wheels and swapping back and forth is pretty easy.

Sometimes I can't stand riding near someone with clicky shifters on a plastic bike. The racket is unbearable.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-03-11 at 04:55 PM.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
no, seriously...they are chunky shifting, require constant tuning and don't fine tune well. I'd rather use friction.
I guess my 7400 and 6400 equipped bikes have both been anomalies. They do shift aggressively (chunky?) but they are fast and I've never had any difficulty dialing them in perfectly. I've only had to adjust the barrel adjuster on the 6400 bike once after the initial adjustment, and it's worked flawlessly over the last couple thousand miles. I use that bike on club rides (when I don't ride the modern rig) and it's never even come close to letting me down.

If what you say were true I'd understand but 2/2 of my first hand experiences with good indexed drivetrains have shown otherwise. Suntour and campagnolo, I can definitely buy what you're saying.
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Often, before I put both feet in my mouth, I have to get my head out where they can get to it....so I go back to the OP startup...

"It IS about the bike..."

It is, and if I couldn't ride it, it wouldn't be a topic near my widest radar range.
I simply have no use for a bike I couldn't ride.
I assume the ride.

Now, as Keith says, it's a joy when the bike disappears beneath you, and it comes down to motion, and effort, and flicking gears. That could be where it ends for lots of cyclists, because that's all they want. I like that, too, but I like to take it a few steps backwards...

Before there were the uber-modern, uber-light, and absolutely great bikes that propel you like no man or woman before, there were bike bikes. These bikes were also the best of their era, and there was a point with those bikes, when properly tuned, they had their relative moments.

They also disappeared beneath the rider, and allowed motion, effort, and the blurry joy of a fast ride to occur.
They looked just as good sitting still, and if you looked hard enough, you not only saw the bike, you saw the men who made them.

You can tell, just by looking at them, that the performance curve was finite, given the materials and components. You can tell, just by looking at them, that these men coaxed, cajoled, and caressed them to get to the farthest end of that curve. In doing so, these men went beyond the utility, to craft, and, some say, to art.

There was only so much they could do, and they went for it. Unabashed.

Now, I appreciate a fine friction machine, the mental searching, using your ear and the tips of your fingers to find the sweet spot, where noise ends. Then, other noises can take over, the whir of spokes, the sound of fabric on a leather saddle, the soft slipping noise as you modulate that caliper. During that quiet, orderly hum, you have to look ahead, and anticipate, and actually think! man! about what you're doing.

You search for smooth. You have to manage the bike, manage the terrain, and you have to know yourself, understand the climb, and when to change the bike to yourself.

Some, older bikes I assume, are a more complex management of body, terrain, and machine. Different parts of that machine have to be managed, ridden, moved. You have to know what you can do. You have to know what it can do. You have to know what you can do with it.

After that, to indexed, you lose that tense, searching, precise moment of harmony with cog and chain. You anticipate, you shift, it happens. You go back to being a pedaling human. You still have to know the bike, but not as well, because some of the error has drifted away with the detents in the shifter ring. You can now focus more of yourself on power, anticipation, on getting a little more out of it, maybe of yourself. You sure hope so.

With Ergos and STI's, you focus less on managing what you want to do. A dancing chain is no longer a skill, but a flicking of paddles, a thumb on a stick. You can anticipate less, because to err is to simply correct and get on with it. If it's a modern bike, the other things are there, reliable and steady, and you're in workout mode, managing the bike far less, because a lot of it is managing itself. Part of your brain can take a break.

It's about the bike, for me, because I take the ride as my measure. I want the most out of the frame as possible. I want to prove I can do the same things with this "old" bike as those other guys are doing with wheels that cost more than 2 of my bikes. I don't want to have to ride a modern bike to keep up. I want to be just as good on steel. I put the modern stuff on the frames, and I tell the frame, like the quarter horse out back, "show me what you can do, I promise I'll hang on."

I also like the older bikes, the friction groups, the index DT shifters, where I actually have to have some skill besides turning those pedals. It's a much steeper learning curve than what you encounter when you buy a Kestrel RT1000 off the rack and have a go at it. It's probably not as fun for beginners, but boy, does it make you a better rider when and if you do ride a modern bike. If you employ the thinking, anticipation, and tactics from fast friction riding to a modern STI bike, you're going to be better, and faster. When I ride friction or DT shifting, I like to be alone, so I don't have to think about other riders, just being good on the bike.

Knowing all that leaves me awestruck at the guys who ran as fast 25 years ago as they do today. To ride in a 25mph peloton with friction would put me in cardiac arrest.

Now, the bikes. I like shiny things. I like things that look like they were made by hands, not robots. They make me feel that I can bring performance out of them, that they didn't start out already beyond my ability. Which leads to my wrenching mojo: make it live, make it perform, make it show off, make that frame smile, blush, and swagger. Do the Chariots of Fire thing with your bike, feel the intention. Touch the monolith and toss the chain whip in the air.

Drink the wine and not the electrolyte.
Hell, man, live a little.

I've probably said it better but not without drinking a bit....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 08-03-11 at 05:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.