Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by rgppgr
How is the rear break housing attached on the top tube?
Old 01-12-20, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, I don't see to much that resembles my frame in the this PUCH.
Old 01-13-20, 07:09 AM
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 254 Posts
i only know about "Kondor" with a "k" - remearkably similar though

https://www.rennrad-geschichten.de/r...che-raubvogel/

Likes For martl:
Old 01-13-20, 09:26 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It does look a lot like mine. The color makes it seem more so. The diamond cut out on the lug, crown on the front fork, braze on pieces, six speed are the differences I see. I can't tell if the inside fork has stiffeners or not. And the lack of eye attachments for add ons. It is a nice looking bike.
Old 01-29-20, 09:18 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New addition. I'm stripping the bike to clean and hopefully find any clues. There was a spot on the head tube where the paint had flaked off. I started removing paint with my fingernail. Under it I found this.

It appears, at least, these lugs and tube are chromed.
Old 01-29-20, 09:40 PM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I have a Condor made in Switzerland but it's a townie-type 3-speed and not a higher end road bike like yours and the frame details are completely different. I'm posting so you can see the headbadge/decal for reference. Mine has no name on the downtube. Bad photo is from the time I found the bike in our local co-op. It now hangs in my garage.

Old 01-29-20, 11:03 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the post. I've ruled out Swiss Condors. There is nothing about them that matches mine. Is your BB Italian?
Old 02-23-20, 04:20 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I noticed

some paint dimples at the seat tube tops. After sanding I found two things. One was the stamped Y and 1. The second is the piece is brass with a plating on top followed by a gray primer coat and the paint.
Old 02-23-20, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
I noticed

some paint dimples at the seat tube tops. After sanding I found two things. One was the stamped Y and 1. The second is the piece is brass with a plating on top followed by a gray primer coat and the paint.
-----

perhaps member Doug Fattic may have some informatioin on this...

-----
Old 03-31-20, 04:35 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Not the best chrome job. Note head tube edges.

Seat lug, top tube lug and down tube lug have a raised portion on angles less than 90 degrees. Here on the under side in the middle. The seat tube treatment doesn't seem factory. But what do I know.

I could barely see a kerf on either edge of the BB with a glass.

Just one example of the sloppy brazing.

Uneven and sloppy work to me. Were production bike like this?

Another brazing sample.

Unfinished seat stay treatment.

I can see two, maybe three dip lines of chrome. Front and rear. The rear is flaking quite bad.

Another "raised" portion in the center of the lug. There's one on the down tube lug bottom also.
Old 03-31-20, 05:18 PM
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Just so you understand how those lugs were made, the "raised" portion of the lug is the welded seam used to hold the stamped and rolled sheet together. Better builders not only file that seam until it is smooth, they also shape the shorelines so they are smooth curves. The modest wages for an average European worker in the 50's and 60's probably meant they needed a modestly made and priced bicycle.

Do I see ribs inside the steerer? That shape of a rib I think I may see comes from Japanese tubing and not Columbus Italian.
Old 03-31-20, 08:58 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Just so you understand how those lugs were made, the "raised" portion of the lug is the welded seam used to hold the stamped and rolled sheet together. Better builders not only file that seam until it is smooth, they also shape the shorelines so they are smooth curves. The modest wages for an average European worker in the 50's and 60's probably meant they needed a modestly made and priced bicycle.

Do I see ribs inside the steerer? That shape of a rib I think I may see comes from Japanese tubing and not Columbus Italian.
Yes you did. Good eye. There are 5 lands at an angle that extend just over 2 inch into the tube. Would this mean the rest of the frame is Japanese? If so what tubing would it be. For the age it's light. What are shore lines?
Old 03-31-20, 09:48 PM
framebuilder

If there are ribs inside the steerer, that means the tubing is either made by Tange or Ishiwata. Columbus used thinner ribs. It would help if you could take a clearer picture of inside the lower part of the steerer by the fork crown. Then I can tell for sure if the ribs are Japanese or Italian. Off the top of my head I think those ribs are Tange but I don't remember exactly which one of those Japanese companies made that steerer. Even though the tubing is probably Japanese, that doesn't mean the frame was made in Japan just like Reynolds tubing doesn't mean a frame is made in England or if it is Columbus the frame is made in Italy. Also the quality of workmanship indicates it is a mass produced frame. The mediocre workmanship combined with chrome seems to confirm that observation. For a production company, chrome adds noticeable bling while hiding its quickly made workmanship.

The shorelines of a lug is a term used by frame builders to describe the edge of a lug.
Old 03-31-20, 10:23 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I will get a picture tomorrow. Would a mass produced frame use campy dropouts and weigh in the neighborhood of five and half pounds?
Old 04-01-20, 12:08 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I will get a picture tomorrow. Would a mass produced frame use campy dropouts and weigh in the neighborhood of five and half pounds?
Can you tell?
Old 04-01-20, 01:02 PM
framebuilder

Yes that looks like a Columbus steerer. In the picture I took this morning the Columbus steerer is all the way to the left. You can see that the ribs are much thinner and they spiral and there are 5 instead of 6 ribs like on the Japanese steerers. There should be the Columbus dove symbol stamped on the outside of the steerer. They quit doing that around 1983 + -

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 04-01-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 01:12 PM
framebuilder

Yes, there were many production made frames that used Campy dropouts. Of course usually they were their upper end models. Sometimes it is possible to see the Columbus markings near one end of the main tubes. They will tell whether it is SL or SP tubing. This imprint wasn't very deep so you have to look close to see it if it is there. sometimes it was lost when the tube was mitered or being finished with emery to clean and smooth the tubes before painting. Both Reynolds and Columbus quit doing that in the 80's. Probably the frame was made out of the lighter Columbus SL (with 0.9/0.7/0.9 mm wall thickness). The heavier SP (1/7/1) was usually used on bigger frames. SL chain and seat stays could be quite light.
Old 04-01-20, 01:23 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Yes that looks like a Columbus steerer. In the picture I took this morning the Columbus steerer is all the way to the left. You can see that the ribs are much thinner and they spiral and there are 5 instead of 6 ribs like on the Japanese steerers. There should be the Columbus dove symbol stamped on the outside of the steerer. They quit doing that around 1983 + -

Thank you. There were no markings of any kind anywhere on the bare frame or fork.
Old 04-01-20, 04:06 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is a columbus stamp at the bottom of down tube. I can make out four long tail feathers and some numbers under the stamp.
Old 04-01-20, 04:08 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Forget that about no marking.
Old 02-10-21, 11:25 AM

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
I found that a Mr. Benotto, Italian frame builder, went to Mexico (Guadalajara) and opened a shop with the name CONDOR. Then moved to Mexico City and changed the name. In looking at Italian Benotto bicycles, there is a remarkable similarity. Thank you Feldman. Now if I could find pictures of Mexican "Benotto" CONDORs. They weren't there very long I gather.
Here's a Mexican Condor.
A very common bike here and still available new (Benotto)

Single speed, rod and lever brakes.
Probably early 60's.
Old 02-10-21, 03:37 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Here's a Mexican Condor.
A very common bike here and still available new (Benotto)

Single speed, rod and lever brakes.
Probably early 60's.
Thank you for the response. I've since found that the Mexican Condor bicycles were earlier than mine which is in the mid 70"s. It may be a private Proteus parts build. All the Condor bikes I've found don't match my lugs or fork, etc. It is Columbus SL tubing with Campy drop outs. Everything on it could have been purchased as parts from Proteus and assembled.
Old 02-10-21, 05:40 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts

Just one example of the sloppy brazing.
Is there a shim or something inside the seat lug? What's the actual frame/fork weight?
Old 02-10-21, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Lugs look similar to those on my Swiss Mondias with their the long tangs ‘cept mine have cutouts.

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Swi...ondor_main.htm

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 02-10-21 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 08:28 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That is the seat Columbus SL seat tube. The frame with Campy cups still in the head weighs 1.9 kg. The Columbus steer tube front fork weighs 735 grams. I was told this was fairly light weight for a early to mid 70's bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.