Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Weight concerns with super light racing bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Weight concerns with super light racing bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 08:27 AM

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ltokuno
Nice bike. Tange Champion #1 tubing is similar to Columbus SL maybe a little lighter. It's good stuff and was used on higher end Japanese bikes of the time. It should ride really well.
If you're worried about the wheels at all I would have your LBS check the spoke tension of both wheels and get them in spec. There's a kind of goldielocks tension that really needs to be measured to get right for the combination of hubs, rims, and spokes. Not to tight, not to loose. Once the spokes are within spec it's really surprising how strong a bicycle wheel is, and how much weight it can handle. Still not a good idea to be jumping curbs or plowing through deep potholes because these wheels are not made for impact.
When you recover from surgery it might be good to get a bike fit. It can help reduce the chance of injury and make you more comfortable on the bike. Comfort is a good way to keep you on the bike which, I think, is really the overall goal. I wouldn't spend the money on a fit now because everything is likely to change after the surgery. So you might want to wait a bit before fiddling too much with a stem and other fit related parts. Things will most likely change again as you loose weight and get used to being on the bike, but by then the small changes to fit will, probably, not need new parts. Although there's always upgrades...
Happy riding!
Thanks so much, those are some very good suggestions, We are now into October and my surgery will be sometime in November so it really will not be until next Spring in March that I would be ready to really start riding, here in Indiana we would and could still have snow in March, so I think I'll definitely hold off on any stem changes at the moment. I will be bringing it into my LBS probably this weekend to let them check things out, It has been ridden quite a bit from what I know about the owner that had it from 1998-2019, she road it long and hard but kept it up in good condition. It will need a complete overhaul which I will let the LBS do that since my skills are just starting out in learning how to do maintenance on bikes and I do not want to ruin anything with this bike.
Old 10-01-20, 08:34 AM
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
As long as you ensure that the rear rim is properly tensioned, you should be okay, provided that the roads you ride on are sufficiently smooth. any sort of moderate impact to those rims and they are guaranteed to bend.