Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I rode a carbon-wonder-bike. I hated it.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I rode a carbon-wonder-bike. I hated it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-21, 10:55 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Is it the bike or the rider? Is the rider perhaps not conditioned to ride the bike? I have a bike which I need to be in good shape to ride, otherwise it’s uncomfortable. When I’m conditioned, though, the bike is a stormer!
Anyway, I wouldn’t sell it hastily. Selling is something some of us
never get over, but as noted above, of course the bike didn’t change, so you loving it is contingent upon some externality. Identify what that ist, determine is it coming back or not, then decide a course of action. An unpleasant stationary ride, up AdZ, does not strike me as a solid assessment.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's almost certainly the right advice, but I am curious how one goes from riding the hell out of a bike to "it doesn't suit me at all", implying that it never really suited him.
Does one learn that from riding something else or does on just stop riding?
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Well, the bike didn’t change. It fits and rides the same.
Typically a rider adapts to some degree regardless of the bike. Over time, especially time off that bike, people change. Perceptions change.
You saved up over a year to get that bike. Unless it was a complete dog, it was going to be the best thing you had ridden. You had invested too much and could easily overlook any minor flaws. I think it is human nature to do this.
You probably should take it out on the road and see if it brings back those magical moments. If it does keep it. If not, and you’re not attached to it anymore, sell it.
John
Yeah, bike doesn't change... but it can be 'rejuvenated' with a 'spa treatment... New tires, chain, after some serious miles maybe even new wheels, cranks/cassettes... try new saddles.
I know when my FAV ride starts feeling 'not perky', all these 'spa treatments' really bring the magic back. I don;t really track too much, but 1 do often change tires, chains, when 'new' is obvious improvement and that's often enough.
But just last week, the 'ride' felt tired (a lot of that is me... every day is an adventure, these days...). But I also have 35k+ miles on the HED Kermesse wheels. Put on a much new/younger set of HED Ardennes - WOW! what a difference !!! The Kermesse are becoming 'social ride' kit, new wide-range cassette. Ride them when it's the 'social group thing', not a perception of performance level...
... so bikes do 'change'... they need some 'love' on a regular basis...
Rider... definitely changes constantly... rider needs to make decisions... can they 'improve' themselves for that which no longer seems 'right' ? can the bike be 'changed' to the current rider 'state'? is the effort/cost of change/improvement worth it? will new bring back the 'magic' (for long?).
yeah, new tech helps some... but, ultimately I've learned 'new' isn;t forever. And fades rather quickly, without a rider mental, emotional and physical adjustment.
Those with a deep pragmatic personality seem to have an easier time not blaming 'the bike', and accepting the ride implications.
I've also found that the joy in a ride is totally on me (except when I flat... LOL!). Gotta say that every ride I've had in recent memory was way better than not riding, no matter how desperate the ride seemed...
sell, keep, buy another... none of that ultimately matters much, except how much attention you can give to keeping all the 'stuff' in a condition which doesn't degrade your 'joy'.
and how much space you can provide... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: using a trainer, rollers, stationary pedaling device is not 'riding a bike' (to me). Yeah, I did that for too many years... Joyless... beyond tears...
riding the bike is about moving through space, new or changing enviroments, feeling more than just 'exercise'. I would never judge anything on a joyless thing such as trainer rides or gym work... that's just me...

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-07-21 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-07-21, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Sounds like it is not the right bike for Zwift.
If the OP is serious about Zwift, he'll want to get a new aero frame anyway.
Old 12-07-21, 11:09 AM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Way back in mid-2015, I decided to pinch my pennies & fill up the ol' piggy bank to see what I could do about getting an über fancy carbon dream machine.

In early 2016, I had enough to lay down a deposit & several months later, I succeeded in becoming the owner of a 2016 Cervelo R5. It took nearly a year from dream to reality.

Man, I loved that bike. I rode it everywhere. By 2018 it garnered at least 6000 miles. Mountain passes, country roads, double century rides...You name it. That bike & I did it.

Then something happened & I put it on a hook in the back bedroom. We're coming up on 3 years now, & in all that time it has only netted 700 miles more. Half of those miles being split between just 2 rides in 2019.

Sad.

So tonight, I pulled it down off it's lonely hook. Stuck it on the Zwift & proceeded to flog it up the Alp duZwift. It was awful. I hated it. It was just a terrible work out. Nothing fit. Everything was in the wrong place. I can't believe I used to ride that bike...Lusted after it so. Simply put: The whole experience was just...well... a disappointment. It crystalized all the reasons that the bike had fallen into disuse.

I don't know what to do with it now. Should I put it back on the hook? Should I sell it? Should I trade the frame for the next size & move the parts over? It's obvious the "magic" is gone & has been for some time. I guess I just didn't want to believe it until now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7DtJJSVPsk

Has anyone here on BF ever had a "falling out" with a bike?
Do tell in the comment section below 👇
you can just give it to me. my address is 9578 m...
Old 12-07-21, 11:13 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Fair points made by all.
It very well could be that it just isn't the best bike for Zwift.

It very well could be that I found other bikes that fit better & I discovered that by riding other bikes. I dunno though, double centuries does suggest it fit me well at one time.

It very well could be that I largely switched from road to other types of riding. I have been doing a lot of commuting, a lot of gravel, a bit of mountain biking. Driver prejudice & complete ignorance does get sort of grating after a while. Path of least resistance?

It very well could be that it's been years since I have been doing all the proper stretches to really "lay" into the aggressive fit. Maybe I did change & this is to blame. The good news is that is fixable with time, a yoga mat, & since I never cut the steerer, a 4mm allen wrench.

I have been riding. That much never stopped. I am as strong now & as fit as I ever was.

Maybe I should swap out the deep section carbon rims for something more compliant with larger tires, find another Thursday evening group to ride with, & get it outside. I can re-evaluate from there.

It is good to know that others here have had similar experiences & it is ok to not love a bike or to have moved on.

Thanks, all.
Base2

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-07-21, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Maybe you just hate indoor trainers? So back on the hook and new wait for a nice spring day, see if you feel the same way.
Did your body or flexibility change in the last few years? It might be time to take a close look at your set up too, for example slammed stems look super cool and were in fashion in the early/mid teens but aren’t all that comfortable to ride, especially indoors.
Old 12-07-21, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Surely the OP could put up a better breakup song than Gotye. This song is probably how the bike feels. Maybe the OP can get it sorted out so we can hear some Peaches & Herb. Or, maybe the OP has another bike he named Mrs. Jones.

Old 12-07-21, 11:25 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Maybe you just hate indoor trainers?
Trainers are also trial-by-fire when it comes to fit - you tend to move around quite a bit out in the real world, and that can mask a lot of issues that'll be brought to the fore when locked in to a trainer.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-07-21, 11:38 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Nah. It's pretty safe assumption. Road bike geometry hasn't varied significantly much in the last 20-30 years. But whatever. He hates his bike now.
Again, just silly.
Among other bikes, I ride a 1995 Specialized Allez Pro with a 52 cm frame and a 2006 Giant OCR with a 56 cm frame. Both are road bikes, both fit me, and I guarantee you that the geometry is significantly different
How do you know he's even riding the same size bike?
Old 12-07-21, 11:47 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Trainers are also trial-by-fire when it comes to fit - you tend to move around quite a bit out in the real world, and that can mask a lot of issues that'll be brought to the fore when locked in to a trainer.
That, and as someone mentioned above, position is different on a trainer. There's no reason to stretch out into an aero position, so aggressive geometry is wasted. There are other issues, like whether or not your bike is level on the trainer, or needs a front wheel block so you're not always going downhill.

And there's aging. This year, I reduced reach on my most 'stretched out' bike by 1 cm, and it's significantly more comfortable. There's another bike I'll probably do that with, and then they'll mostly be in line with all the others.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-21, 11:48 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by base2
Fair points made by all.
It very well could be that it just isn't the best bike for Zwift.

It very well could be that I found other bikes that fit better & I discovered that by riding other bikes. I dunno though, double centuries does suggest it fit me well at one time.

It very well could be that I largely switched from road to other types of riding. I have been doing a lot of commuting, a lot of gravel, a bit of mountain biking. Driver prejudice & complete ignorance does get sort of grating after a while. Path of least resistance?

It very well could be that it's been years since I have been doing all the proper stretches to really "lay" into the aggressive fit. Maybe I did change & this is to blame. The good news is that is fixable with time, a yoga mat, & since I never cut the steerer, a 4mm allen wrench.

I have been riding. That much never stopped. I am as strong now & as fit as I ever was.

Maybe I should swap out the deep section carbon rims for something more compliant with larger tires, find another Thursday evening group to ride with, & get it outside. I can re-evaluate from there.

It is good to know that others here have had similar experiences & it is ok to not love a bike or to have moved on.

Thanks, all.
Base2
I think that clarifies things--people always want to make this a question of fit or unfit when "fitness" is always a concept that needs to be considered in context--i.e., fitness for what?

Our bodies adapt to the machines we use and if we start using different machines, we adapt to those and perhaps away from the ones we used to use. The "obviously you got fat" posts in this thread were really dumb. Sounds like you wandered into somewhat different but not easier riding patterns, and gradually the bike got faded out.

Yeah, sell the thing, it doesn't do it for you anymore. Nothing wrong with that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-07-21, 11:56 AM

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
If someone does "2000 happy miles a year for three years" on a bike, then the bike is not the problem. OP got sick of cycling. Similarly, I don't miss playing golf at all. Nothing to do with the clubs. I just got tired of totally sucking at it.
Old 12-07-21, 12:36 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
2 years ago, I ended a 15 year period of almost zero cycling. I was fat, and had very mediocre cardio fitness. However, when I rolled out of my driveway on my old race bike, for the first time, the bike still felt "right" for my body. I currently have 4 road bikes, including one that lives full-time on my Zwift rig. I have made an effort to set them all up with the same position, as closely as possible. No matter which bike I get on, it feels "right". I can recognize differences in the ride quality, and handling differences, but everything is right where it should be.

I would suggest that your Cervelo might not have ever been set up correctly for you, even though you felt relatively comfortable on it at some point.

Last edited by Eric F; 12-07-21 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-07-21, 12:37 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
If someone does "2000 happy miles a year for three years" on a bike, then the bike is not the problem. OP got sick of cycling. Similarly, I don't miss playing golf at all. Nothing to do with the clubs. I just got tired of totally sucking at it.
I had this same experience.
Old 12-07-21, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Similarly, I don't miss playing golf at all. Nothing to do with the clubs. I just got tired of totally sucking at it.
I do, but I was pretty good. The yips are hard to deal with, though. Eventually you can't take it anymore.
Old 12-07-21, 12:44 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Fit changes over time and in relation to your fitness level and riding frequency. IF you once loved the bike it might be worth making some small adjustments to fit based on what/if you are riding something else, now.
I have a 2013 Specialized Roubaix that is an absolute Cadillac of a performance (in my eyes) bike. I haven't ridden it in so long I am not actually sure I can. I am very hesitant to get rid of it, as if the bug strikes again and I decide to get off my lazy ass and ride I would not have an easy opportunity to own and ride something this nice again.
Old 12-07-21, 01:19 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
. OP got sick of cycling.
hmm.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-07-21, 01:30 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts
I would not make a decision about keeping or selling a bike based on how it feels on the trainer, if I originally bought it to ride on the road, unless I was consigning that bike to nothing but trainer duty. It's kind of like making a decision about dress shoes after wearing them on a long hike.

Interestingly, though, I had consigned one of my carbon bikes to trainer duty, since I don't want to be dripping corrosive sweat on my steel bikes, but I find I like it so much I take it off the trainer frequently for long rides IRL.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-21, 02:32 PM
ri alene

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Curious....what did you ride once you put the ol' UBER CARBON FANCY WONDERBIKE DREAM MACHINE on the hook?

It appears that you "hated" the bike but (hatefully?) rode the thing for 6,000 miles in about a 900 day span. So you ditched the hated bike in 2018. What did you ride in 2019, 2020, and now 2021? Do you love that bike? Let me guess what frame material it is?

Hold on it will come to me...

Back to the bike you hate. In 2019 you did 2 175 mile rides on the hated carbon bike thing...then what were you riding? Wait, let's go back to 2019...were these two 175 mile rides close together? Or more spread apart? I might get side tracked here but riding 175 miles is still a big deal and not something just anyone can head out and do on a moments notice...Did you still like the bike when you rode the equivalent length of your average Milan-San Remo Race? How'd the bike feel on those two monstrous rides?

Nevermind...

What's your question?

Sell it.

Sell the whole thing before we see a post titled "I rode shimano ultegra 6800 groupset. I hated it" and we find out you put 6,000 miles on a groupset that you hate but are now unsure what to do with it.

Good news is that you can sell it for at least how much you paid for it in our silly bike market...the bike will live on to disappoint another mamil.

Last edited by ChamoisDavisJr; 12-07-21 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-07-21, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Again, just silly.
Among other bikes, I ride a 1995 Specialized Allez Pro with a 52 cm frame and a 2006 Giant OCR with a 56 cm frame. Both are road bikes, both fit me, and I guarantee you that the geometry is significantly different
How do you know he's even riding the same size bike?
How much different is the HTA, STA and ETT between the two bikes?
Old 12-07-21, 03:33 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by prj71
How much different is the HTA, STA and ETT between the two bikes?

Who gives a rat's butt? All I know is I'm riding one a lot higher posture than the other.
Old 12-07-21, 07:21 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I read the first 15 posts, but here's my take on this. You road the bike one time... on a trainer... in three years. I would never sell a bike after one uncomfortable ride under those conditions. I would at least give it a ride on the road before selling it. My CF bike feels a lot more comfortable on the road than it does on a trainer. Why? I have no idea, but it does.

Then there's you. Have you kept up with stretching and your body core strength the last three years? I know as I age, I have a greater need to keep stretching every day. I notice a difference if I miss a day or two. For the last year, I also daily do 15-20 pushups and situps, a one-minute plank and 30 second flutter kicks X 2. I feel better on the bike since I started doing this too.

I hope you make the right decision, no matter what it is.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 12-07-21, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I agree you move around more out doors getting more position breaks. But, for me, I notice I tend to also sit very differently indoors and spend much more time on the bar tops and hoods or 'no hands' and almost no time in the drops, while outside I spend maybe 1/3 of the time in the drops and 2/3s on the hoods and very little time on the top of the bar. So there is an inherent position difference that can lead to bringing out fit issues since a slightly different muscle set is being used. Since my trainer rides focus mostly on riding fast, short races, or intervals with short recovery compared to outside where there is just more recovery opportunity from corners, changes in wind direction, traffic conditions, and so on, I'm generally working at a higher power with less recovery indoors and this may also play a role where the trainer feels 'not comfortable'.

Lastly, I think there is a 'mental toughness' issue on the indoor trainer that you have to overcome. Outside, on a 40km loop, your brain knows that you have no choice but to ride the last 20km home, but on the trainer on a '40km' ride you know deep down it's not real. You can just step off any time and be in the shower in a few minutes so my brain, I think, amplifies any minor discomfort to try and make me quit and have a beer.
Old 12-07-21, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
I've sold many a bike over the years, no big deal. Some I loved, many I hated.

Old 12-07-21, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I have a race geometry road bike, I ride once a year. Just to remind me how much I dislike it
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-08-21, 01:52 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I do, but I was pretty good. The yips are hard to deal with, though. Eventually you can't take it anymore.
What are the "yips"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.