Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you think 24x7 heart rate monitoring is useful?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you think 24x7 heart rate monitoring is useful?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I've had a FitBit for a couple of years. I use the 24 hour HR tracking as a way to gauge how many calories I am burning that day and therefore how many calories I should eat. It's far from exact - I don't calculate the calories in of everything I eat and the tracking on my wrist isn't exact anyway - but it helps me a lot especially when I'm planning my evening meal.

Edit to post about accuracy of the wrist FitBit since it was mentioned earlier in this thread: I just finished a ride this morning. My FitBit shows I burned 2,124 calories, my Wahoo Bolt chest strap shoes I burned 2,219. The two are typically pretty close.
Considering how bad HRMs are at guessing calories when they know you're on a bike, do you think they're any better "in the background" when you could be sitting watching a scary movie, or making dinner, or whatever? I mean compared to a Fitbit that just tracks your movement but not your pulse rate.
Old 05-26-18, 11:48 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
In the ICU, yes. Otherwise, I'm sure there are various corporate and gov't entities who would find it useful.

scott s.
Old 05-27-18, 12:11 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Felt E-Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just find data to always be useful. I use a FitBit blaze 24/7 and its useful to build a history of heart rate. My resting heart rate is still falling gently from 60 to 55 as I exercise more and I find it useful to know. Certainly not essential, but helpful.
Old 05-27-18, 11:35 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
In the ICU, yes. Otherwise, I'm sure there are various corporate and gov't entities who would find it useful.

scott s.
Old 05-27-18, 11:57 AM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No foil hat emoji?
Old 05-27-18, 01:08 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
No foil hat emoji?
I would have looked if I had been on the PC, but didn't think the effort would pay off on the phone.
Old 05-27-18, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I use a Mio Fuse heart rate monitor/watch to track heart rate while riding (it will sync to the bike computer and bike trainer via ANT+ where fitbits will not sync to the bike computer or trainer due to their only broadcasting in Bluetooth). I used to track my heart rate at night with it, but now just track my heart rate during the day. The app I use with it is from MIO global where the idea is to get 100 fitness points per week.

My wife uses a Mio Slice (I would too, but the wristband is too small for me even on the largest model), and it will track her heart rate 24/7 and has to be recharged every couple days vs. having to charge mine every day.

I am looking at a Garmin model for later on as it tracks VMO2 as well as heart rate.
Old 05-28-18, 02:37 AM
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My Garmin does this too. It'll say I had 47 bpm in the early morning, but give me a HRH of 51. I saw something on their site about it's the lowest 5 minute (?) average HR, or something like that, not just the lowest value it saw. I don't really agree that that's how it's supposed to be measured, but I think that's what it's doing, or something like it. Whatever formula it's using, at least it seems consistent in how it's applied.
Fitbit's appears to be a lot different, because I notice the value can change up or down in the middle of the day. Also I notice if my HR is higher while asleep, then RHR during the day is also consistently higher than usual. So apparently Fitbit uses some sort of all-day formula.
Old 05-30-18, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I do listen to Barracuda when on the trainer. But 24/7...nah.
Old 05-30-18, 05:26 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
From what I can tell, these gizmos mainly serve to help inactive and moderately active people feel more active than they are. When my GF upgraded her Charge HR to an Ionic, I tried the Charge HR just to see what it was like.

The data is mildly interesting from a curiosity point of view if you want to see what you did in hindsight. But I wouldn't use it as a training or health monitoring tool. I keep seeing people flip out because the HR data spikes or plummets -- but they don't verify the numbers are good with a manual pulse check.