Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling nutrition for long rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling nutrition for long rides

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It isn't, and no they can't. There is a vast gulf between "I haven't eaten in 3 weeks and I'm still alive," and "I haven't eaten in X number of days and am still functioning normally." We've all got a basal metabolic rate, and continue to burn fuel even just sitting. I average 1,400kJ of cycling per day, seven days a week. Ride to eat, eat to ride.
In case I didn't make it clear, the point of my statement was that people rely way too much on eating (if you don't believe that, just step outside), not that there are no side-effect from going without food.

What works for you works for you. Go out an do a +3,000kJ ride and don't eat anything afterward. Then get up and do it again the next day and let me know how that works out for you.
The above was a generalization and not contingent on activity. Otherwise, it would be meaningless.
Originally Posted by kingston
I almost never eat solid food on any ride I can finish in a day. I rode a 400k a few weeks ago on a mix of maltodextrin and protien powders, Gatorade powder, and either a V8 or an OJ at every control. No solid food at all on the ride. Everything was closed when I finished so I drove home, slept for a few hours and went to five-guys for lunch.
Same here. Although on an all-day ride and in a pinch I'll choose foods that are light and quickly digested (that's the benefit of engineered foods). Recognizing that digestion and energy expenditure are counter-productive.
Old 06-21-18, 07:18 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

Personal success aside, that certainly won't work for the rank-and-file. We can eat far more than we can burn.
First of all, my point was explicitly that different strategies will work for different people, and I just used myself as an example of someone employing successfully a strategy completely other from most of the "one size fits all" assertions I've seen on this subject. Where we disagree is your assumption that there is a "rank and file". I consider a ride greater than 100 miles to be a long ride for me, and I generally do at least one of those and sometimes 2 a week, plus multiple 30 mile rides. I think that's way beyond the capabilities of most 57 year olds, and the range of what's considered a long ride displayed in this thread is quite huge.
I'm pretty clear on the fact that if I don't keep a minimum amount of calorie intake at this level of regular riding , I will be burning muscle as well as fat, something your rather overbroad assertions fails to account for. I'm not going to presume that I know what people should do in this area because I don't know what their baseline is, what they want to achieve, and how their bodies and brains will respond to different regimens. I know you think you've discovered some universal formula because it works for you, but the scientific data is only clear on one thing, all regimens don't work for most people, and all of them work for a few people. Unfortunately, those few usually start trying to talk the rest into their regimen, and blame people for whom it doesn't work for "their" failure.
I keep my weight loss and fitness advice to suggesting trial and error, and not getting down on yourself when you get the inevitable errors. I do use myself as an example of someone who has had massive weight loss without surgery, only because I hear so many people asserting it's not possible.
Old 06-24-18, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
One thing I do like to do is drink one of those 16 ounce cans of coconut water before a long ride. An immediate hit of electrolytes before the ride even begins.

(btw, why aren't those things in normal aluminum cans?)
Old 06-24-18, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Rode 107 km (234m elevation) yesterday at an average speed of 27 km/h. It was my longest ride so far. Previous long rides were two charity 70 km ride that provided food and water at two rest stops. For yesterday's ride, I hate about 300 g of homemade leftover macaroni/cheese/ground beef and a banana an hour before the ride. I also made a homemade energy drink (3.5L of water, 125 ml of maple syrup, 125 ml of orange juice, 30 ml of lime juice and 0.5 ml of salt) that I drank during my ride. After 30 km, I ate a Clif bar. After 75 km, I hate a protein bar. Once back home (heavy rain for the last 25 km ), I drank a 60 g protein shake.
Old 06-25-18, 11:03 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm never going to understand the fixation with Clif bars. Nutritionally, they might be just a tad worse than a Pearson's Slated Nut Roll, and at least that doesn't pretend to be anything but candy. Plus, the nut roll tastes better.
Old 06-25-18, 11:12 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
But I've ridden 70 miles, eaten a plate of bleu cheese & bacon fries, then put on another 40 miles. As long as it agrees with you, eat it.
70 miles is my current long rides, Ive done in that neighborhood a few times. Every single ride involved beer and bar food at some point in the middle.

I don't move at a fast pace, though, something in the low teens moving pace. I didn't get off after 70 miles feeling exhausted, as if I couldn't go on. I just move at what feels natural, generally don't push it too hard (my natural pace is faster than my wife's anyhow, no real point). I just eat normal meals, with maybe a banana or two tossed in, and at absolute most a Nuun tablet in the water bottle if its warm and I'm in danger of any cramping.
Old 06-25-18, 01:47 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Rode 107 km (234m elevation) yesterday at an average speed of 27 km/h. It was my longest ride so far. Previous long rides were two charity 70 km ride that provided food and water at two rest stops. For yesterday's ride, I hate about 300 g of homemade leftover macaroni/cheese/ground beef and a banana an hour before the ride. I also made a homemade energy drink (3.5L of water, 125 ml of maple syrup, 125 ml of orange juice, 30 ml of lime juice and 0.5 ml of salt) that I drank during my ride. After 30 km, I ate a Clif bar. After 75 km, I hate a protein bar. Once back home (heavy rain for the last 25 km ), I drank a 60 g protein shake.
There's a pretty big range of what works depending on the person. I ride a fasted 100k a few times a month. You kinda just have to try some different things and figure out what works for you.
Old 06-25-18, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm never going to understand the fixation with Clif bars. Nutritionally, they might be just a tad worse than a Pearson's Slated Nut Roll, and at least that doesn't pretend to be anything but candy. Plus, the nut roll tastes better.
They're just handy to carry. And the peanut butter crunch kind taste just like energy bars my mom used to make when I was a kid, so there's that, too. And they don't melt like a chocolate candy bar will.
Old 06-25-18, 03:57 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yep. They don't melt, they're cheap, convenient, last a looooong time in the pantry, and come in a ton of flavors. What's not to like? I don't give a damn what I'm eating when I'm setting out for 80 or 100 or 130 miles-- it doesn't need to be vegan or blah blah blah. It's fuel. Clif Bars are easy to carry and are a decent "every 20 miles" portion.
Old 06-25-18, 05:39 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Here you go.

My Food and Hydration at the 2018 Dirty Kanza 200 Gravel Race by JOM @ gravelcyclist.com

Note that Gu Tabs don't have "Plenty of calories per tab" as stated but only 12 calories per tab.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-25-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Strictly speaking they're all pretenders. While candy bars make no pretense.
Yep. They don't melt, they're cheap, convenient, last a looooong time in the pantry, and come in a ton of flavors. What's not to like? I don't give a damn what I'm eating when I'm setting out for 80 or 100 or 130 miles-- it doesn't need to be vegan or blah blah blah. It's fuel. Clif Bars are easy to carry and are a decent "every 20 miles" portion.
Their nutritional value?
Old 06-25-18, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Add that they support juniors racing in NorCal and that I once rode home 10 miles on a blown out tire with a Clif Bar wrapper boot. I'm a loyal customer.
Old 06-25-18, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 119 Posts
Clif bars are cheaper than candy bars and don't hurt my teeth or make my tongue feel coated and gross after eating a couple. I can eat one clif bar an hour and drink nothing but water and be fine for up to 12 hours of riding. The variety of flavors are ok, they all have the same base flavor but are different enough to keep from getting too boring.

When it's very hot sometimes it gets hard to eat anything so I'll skip a couple of hours of eating and have a soda and then a large water bottle with one Nuun tab. This seems to reset my stomach and after this gets in my system I can go back to eating. I used to eat Powerbars as well but they seem to have ceased production and are only available in peanut butter, which I cannot stomach long term.

I can't really see anything objectionable here: Are Clif Bars Good For You? Breaking Down CLIF Nutrition

But what do I know. I hate eating real food on rides, I've tried it several times and it doesn't work for me at all. So YMMV as always.
Old 06-25-18, 06:58 PM

Counterpoint:

Although they have a decent amount of protein (around 9-11 grams) and some vitamins and minerals, Clif Bars aren’t much different from your average candy bar (and in many cases, are actually worse). Clif Bars range from having a whopping 230-270 calories per bar and have the same (if not higher) quantity of sugar and sodium than a Snickers.

Courtesy of nfl.com
Old 06-25-18, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts

Old 06-25-18, 07:32 PM

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
RX BARS! RX bars

Last edited by Gconan; 06-25-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 07:41 PM
Non omnino gravis

Counterpoint:

Although they have a decent amount of protein (around 9-11 grams) and some vitamins and minerals, Clif Bars aren’t much different from your average candy bar (and in many cases, are actually worse). Clif Bars range from having a whopping 230-270 calories per bar and have the same (if not higher) quantity of sugar and sodium than a Snickers.

Courtesy of nfl.com

That quote is from an "article" written by a person with absolutely zero knowledge of nutrition, and biased to the point of absolute stupidity. A "whopping 230-270 calories," eh? I burn, on average, ~700kcal/hr while cycling. They have sugar and sodium because we're burning glycogen, and sweating out salt. That stuff is in there for a reason. Should you sit down on the sofa, and wash down a few Clif Bars with some Gatorade? No. But if you're out on the bike, it genuinely doesn't matter. If it agrees with you, eat it. Clif Bars fulfill a need. That have a designed balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. They work. I have no idea what your issue is with Clif Bars.

Guys will chug pickle juice while out on a ride. That's salt water and vinegar. You should divide your time to attacking other exercise-oriented snacks, like stroopwafel-- they're nutritionally extremely similar to a typical Clif Bar. How about GU packets? Shot Bloks?
Old 06-25-18, 08:33 PM

That quote is from an "article" written by a person with absolutely zero knowledge of nutrition, and biased to the point of absolute stupidity. A "whopping 230-270 calories," eh? I burn, on average, ~700kcal/hr while cycling. They have sugar and sodium because we're burning glycogen, and sweating out salt. That stuff is in there for a reason. Should you sit down on the sofa, and wash down a few Clif Bars with some Gatorade? No. But if you're out on the bike, it genuinely doesn't matter. If it agrees with you, eat it..
Well you started off with a good enough argument then went off on a tangent with that gross oversimplification. The worst advice for the masses.
Clif Bars fulfill a need..
I'm sure they do, under the right circumstances. But not for everyone.
That have a designed balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fats. They work. I have no idea what your issue is with Clif Bars.
No more of an issue than I have with Snickers bars or a bag of pork rinds. I do however have an issue with truth in advertising, and supporting the education of consumers. As long as there's no secrets or doubts to what you're getting, the choice is yours.

Guys will chug pickle juice while out on a ride. That's salt water and vinegar. You should divide your time to attacking other exercise-oriented snacks, like stroopwafel-- they're nutritionally extremely similar to a typical Clif Bar. How about GU packets? Shot Bloks?
I call them as I see them. Exchanging ideas, experiences and information is the main reason why I participate in these forums.
Old 06-25-18, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I just read this article on carbohydrates absorption by the system. According to the author, since fructose and glucose are absorbed differently by the system, it's their sum you should consider for how many grams of carbohydrates per hour to consume, So with a Clif bar given 42 grams of carbohydrates (which is made of 20 grams of sugar), it's around 2 to 3 bars an hour to get the maximum replenishment. Am I reading this correctly?

Maximizing carbohydrate absorption during exercise ? Sweat Science
Old 06-25-18, 08:57 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
For the rides in Iceland where I was very concerned about my sugar dropping low and not having carbs (I'm Type I diabetic) this is what I popped every couple miles:

Full disclosure: I also used Butterfingers and the oh-so-delicious Lion bar bites

But normally when I'm in America, I don't even bother with popping those every few miles
Old 06-25-18, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by SylvainG
I just read this article on carbohydrates absorption by the system. According to the author, since fructose and glucose are absorbed differently by the system, it's their sum you should consider for how many grams of carbohydrates per hour to consume, So with a Clif bar given 42 grams of carbohydrates (which is made of 20 grams of sugar), it's around 2 to 3 bars an hour to get the maximum replenishment. Am I reading this correctly?

Maximizing carbohydrate absorption during exercise ? Sweat Science
Don't be fooled, sugar is sugar. Whether it be honey, raw, brown sugar, or white table sugar. The small differences in the molecule and or trace nutrients is insignificant.

As for absorption, that depends on the amount, but mostly what's taken along with it. White table sugar being the most pure, and completely devoid of nutrients the most quicly. Carbohydrates (esp. complex carbs), on the other hand, are a different story altogether.
Old 06-25-18, 09:03 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
The Medjool dates is something I've only recently discovered, they are little energy bombs!
Put a half dozen in a Ziploc and sprinkle with kosher salt liberally. Set for 60 miles of flat.

Electrolyte replenishment and a large pit to spit at wheel suckers or errant motorists.
Old 06-25-18, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every Body Is different (not to be confused with “Everybody is different”)

I’ve been Doing Ironmans for almost 10 years now. What’s works best for me is puréed dated and water. I also like bananas and when I’m in a jam, gels and Gatorade. However, I prefer natural foods.
Old 06-25-18, 09:19 PM
Non omnino gravis

Well you started off with a good enough argument then went off on a tangent with that gross oversimplification. The worst advice for the masses. I'm sure they do, under the right circumstances. But not for everyone.No more of an issue than I have with Snickers bars or a bag of pork rinds. I do however have an issue with truth in advertising, and supporting the education of consumers. As long as there's no secrets or doubts to what you're getting, the choice is yours.I call them as I see them. Exchanging ideas, experiences and information is the main reason why I participate in these forums.
So do you, or don't you have an issue with Clif Bars, within the constraints of this thread, which is about eating foods while cycling? Just today I rode 38 miles to have lunch with my wife, and I had French Toast. With bacon. Then I rode about 26 miles home. But that French Toast could have been virtually anything. I've had pizza, biscuits and gravy, hamburgers, Chinese food, you name it. This is not about nutrition in the greater sense-- this is about eating while on bike rides. And at the end of the day, any food that agrees with you is just fine. I burned 2,200kcal in 3 and a half hours. Like... 8 Clif Bars worth.

As "fuel" for bike rides, there's nothing wrong with Clif Bars. The Blueberry Crisp ones are awesome.
Old 06-25-18, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

I O.Dd on Clif bars somewhere along the way. Could eat one now, but couldn't for years. Kind of a shame.

Power bars are about the only kind that work for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.