Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heya, where is everyone from?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heya, where is everyone from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I was a year out from living in Wisconsin and couldn't for the life of me refrain from calling myself a Wisconsinite. My heart is not where I currently live, nor will it ever be. In less than two years I will move, mostly likely back to my home state no matter what the personal cost to me.
Old 11-06-19, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
I was a year out from living in Wisconsin and couldn't for the life of me refrain from calling myself a Wisconsinite. My heart is not where I currently live, nor will it ever be.

In less than two years I will move, mostly likely back to my home state no matter what the personal cost to me.
Hi MNHarv,

You may recall I likened your signature line to a Road Cyclist's Prayer, "Dear Lord, Just three paved feet to the right of the white fog stripe is all I need."

I’m a native of Michigan, but only been to Wisconsin briefly once. I still have much family and descendants in Michigan and visit at least twice a year, and bring my bike…that’s where I got my start as a lifestyle cyclist.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston...
I have now lived most of my life in Boston and we had and raised our children here. My son when very young wanted to move back there because for him it was a vacation and cousins. I consider Boston and the town I work in as Hometowns #'s 2 and 3.

I still tout Michigan as a Great Great Lakes State, and I have posted that whether on Bike Forums, here in Boston, and elsewhere,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
BTW, FYA, I too am a Michigan native, from Detroit. I have often posted that on BikeForums, and elsewhere, Michiganians often find each other serendipitously.
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Michiganians Michiganders often find each other serendipitously
fify
BTW, I have an acquaintance here in Boston who is a Brooklyn native with a Wisconsin wife. He was greatly amused by "fish boils" in Wisconsin; I had never heard of them.

He only visited Michigan once many years ago when he and a buddy drove out there, hearing a rumor that marijuana was legal in Ann Arbor (wrong).
Old 11-06-19, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rhode Island
Old 11-06-19, 06:02 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 325 Posts
Walnut Creek, California. At the junction of the Contra Costa canal trail and the Iron Horse trail.
Old 11-07-19, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peterborough UK

If the world has haemorrhoids it would probably be here.. Lol

Very flat area of the UK

Love my bikes, have to travel to find hills..
Old 11-07-19, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,654 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
The Earth responses remind me of something I wrote in kindergarten for a "write your address" assignment. I'd written my full address, then added United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe. (I was really geeky, even then). Anyway, I'm currently in a small town in the northeast section of Ohio, where it snows a lot for nearly half the year. Still in the same country, hemisphere, and galaxy, although sometimes I'm not so certain about which universe.
In 2nd grade I signed my papers "Super George, Mars". My name isn't George. It took the teacher a couple of weeks to figure it out.

I've been in Phoenix, AZ since '88.
Old 11-07-19, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
In 2nd grade I signed my papers "Super George, Mars". My name isn't George. It took the teacher a couple of weeks to figure it out.

I've been in Phoenix, AZ since '88.
That is spacetastic!