Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding without seat pain: possible?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding without seat pain: possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 05:06 PM

Bikes: specialized allez elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matagi
Check your saddle height - I was getting really bad pain on my left sit bone only, played with fore/aft position, tilt, even tried angling the nose slightly to one side. I had reached the point where I was about to go buy a new saddle when I decided to measure my inside leg again (I was reading "High Tech Cycling" by Edmund Burke at the time) and found the seat needed to go up another 3/4" and back 1/2". I am now riding with no pain except when the seat clamp loosens slightly and the seat slips down, so now I know as soon as that left sit bone starts to ache I need to check seat height.

So it might be worth checking all your measurements again and making sure everything is set correctly.
ohhhhh my right sit bone was on fire! I readjusted my seat 1/2 higher and 1/2 in back. NO PAIN!!!! I owe you big time!
Old 05-03-06, 11:02 PM
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trekke
I too use a Specialized 143. However, feel lots of sit bone pain and some numbness on rides over 30 miles. I have ordered an E3 (On sale for $45) Form. I'll see where that takes me.
E3 report.

I had to stop, on my first ride with this seat, 5 times and do adjustments. First up, because the E3 is not as tall as the specialized 143. Then back, then tilt, then forward and back again. Still do not think I have it correct yet but will continue to tune it in.

First impression was that the saddle may be too narrow. I rode 20 miles and didn't have any sit bone pain but felt that the seat was pressuring a bit. It took me a couple days to tune in the Specialized.

firs impression was not magical.
Old 05-03-06, 11:39 PM
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont know what the asnwer is for you, but I have zero seat pain.

Arione, and a well fit Cervelo.
Old 05-04-06, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Definitely possible: buy a pair of Assos bibs.

Originally Posted by RacerMike
I mean riding in complete comfort? I haven't been riding long, but I'm starting to doubt it. I've been to the LBS for a couple of fittings now and I've messed with the fit myself this winter on the trainer. Its as good as its ever been now, but I still get quite a bit of discomfort after only 15-20 minutes of riding.

I'm not going to give up. Going to try some different saddles and continue to mess with the fit, just curious if I'm chasing a ghost or not.

Mike