Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone else not do "fun rides"?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost never ride for fun because exercise where you can get sweaty isn't fun. I will walk anywhere easily 10km+ in a day if I want to be outside for fun.
Old 01-05-08, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That makes positively absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Old 01-05-08, 06:46 AM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen
Im just curious how many others do this. I love to ride if I am going to school, work, to the library, grocery store, etc. I hate using my car for these things. But I dont think I have been on a "just for fun" ride in months. And the few times I have tried to go on a ~40 mile loop, I get about 15 miles away and really wish I hadent started the ride. I might do a downtown cruise or something every now and then. But thats about it. But I will sit at home and try to find excuses of places I need to go and things I need to do just so I have a reason to ride the bike somewere. Maybe its just me, maybe I am crazy
I do this. I'm never on a bike without a destination and purpose. The closest I get to a fun ride is test flying a bike after I've done work on it, and even that is for a purpose. All rides are fun, any ride is more fun than driving.
Old 01-05-08, 08:36 AM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
All of my ride's are fun ride's! I do the same thing you do, sit around thinking of a "point B" I've been lucky enough to make it 3/4 of the way through the "Rat Race" so when I'm home, which is 99% of the time, I tend to think about riding my bike 90% of that time! (I include my time on the saddle as being home )
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-05-08, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjornb
I almost never ride for fun because exercise where you can get sweaty isn't fun. I will walk anywhere easily 10km+ in a day if I want to be outside for fun.
What?
Old 01-05-08, 10:54 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bjornb
I almost never ride for fun because exercise where you can get sweaty isn't fun.
This is the most untrue statement I've read in months. It's not fun UNLESS you're sweating. A LOT.
That goes double in bed.
Old 01-05-08, 11:00 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Triple or quadruple.
Old 01-05-08, 02:08 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fo` shizzle
Old 01-05-08, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen
Im just curious how many others do this. I love to ride if I am going to school, work, to the library, grocery store, etc. I hate using my car for these things. But I dont think I have been on a "just for fun" ride in months. And the few times I have tried to go on a ~40 mile loop, I get about 15 miles away and really wish I hadent started the ride. I might do a downtown cruise or something every now and then. But thats about it. But I will sit at home and try to find excuses of places I need to go and things I need to do just so I have a reason to ride the bike somewere. Maybe its just me, maybe I am crazy
I'm like you, I don't like riding very often without a destination. Once on the bike, I enjoy the endorphins and the fun feeling I get while riding. I'm not into those quasi "touring races" most people ride in. I've done quite a few but I usually end up riding alone and that sucks. I don't like paying to ride or being told that I must wear a dang helmet in 90 degree weather with lots of climbing and if I am caught without a helmet I won't get any cookies at the rest stop etc.
Lets face it, having a purpose helps motivate. If you are riding too much, you might just need to stop riding so much and have a beer.
Old 01-06-08, 12:32 PM

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like mountain biking for fun. A good singletrack is WAY fun.

I have a hard time motivating when doing road rides for fun. I always find ways to rationalize shortening them by taking the next road instead of the one 5 miles ahead to cut back. But, I do like it alright.

My fun riding generally involves towing my daughter. That's fun. I get a good workout, but I show her the world.

I think as long as your mind is stimulated it is fun. Why I don't like road rides typically is that the only thing I have to entertain myself is my focus on my cadence. When I get to do road rides in new places it's fun as there are new sites to see! Mountain biking is fun because of the stimulation.

I love commuting, though.

Really I just love to ride!
Old 01-06-08, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007); Fuji Finest (2002); Trek 1100 (1994); Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't just ride for nothing. That's why cycling is one of the few exercises that I do - has an intrinsic purpose. The closest I get to a recreational ride is exploring routes to go places, or check out a bike shop that is far away. I need an excuse of a place to go.
Old 08-10-08, 04:34 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An interesting thread. Since moving to a new town and getting a new bike, most of my riding has been recreational, but still generally for a purpose, whether to clear my head or stretch my legs or to take in a better view of the town. Once classes start, though, such rides will likely all but be replaced by trips to campus and trips for groceries. Like others, I generally prefer to ride with a destination. Back when I walked everywhere in college, I took occasional recreational walks on my own into Boston, and took lots of photographs. But that got old after a while. It was very lonely, and eventually I stopped doing it. I get an undercurrent of that when riding about on the bike trails where I now live, which will likely factor into me toning things down until I have specific places to ride to and things to do.
Old 08-10-08, 04:47 PM
Out

Bikes: two-wheelers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride for fun. I don't find riding that much fun unless I'm somewhere new.

For me, riding is about two things: Getting in shape and commuting. I would never ride my bike just for the sake of commuting, and would never ride my bike for the sake of fitness or fun.

But when commuting and fitness come together, then I feel into it.

I love riding, but only to work and back. Go figure.
Old 08-10-08, 05:35 PM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride for fun when there are other people to ride with. Otherwise I do not like to just go out and ride to nowhere.

I am like a lot of you. I'll make up a destination if I don't have one already. Without a destination I just can't see the point.
Old 08-10-08, 06:16 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

No! What's the point of cycling if the rides don't have an element of fun? Most of my rides are "fun rides".

I love just being on my bicycle ... for hours and hours and hours and hours .......
Old 08-10-08, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by everichon
I don't, very often. I really enjoy my "utility" riding, but I don't much feel called to do it for its own sake.
Me, Too.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 08-10-08, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I didn't have a goal for everyday I wouldn't ever move off of the couch. Too bad I rarely have a goal...
Old 08-10-08, 08:30 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by thebarerider
If I didn't have a goal for everyday I wouldn't ever move off of the couch. Too bad I rarely have a goal...
How about the desire to get out into the sun, fresh air, and beautiful outdoors?

What's not to enjoy about riding in the great outdoors ... like here, for example ...

Last edited by Machka; 08-10-08 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-10-08, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes
Without a destination I just can't see the point.
How about getting exercise and fresh air and enjoying a ride around town? I do lots of fun ride because they are fun. Riding a bike is fun whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, that's the beauty of it. If i spend an hour on the bus to get to a store and find it closed i consider it a waste of time, if i go with the bike and it's closed i shrug it off and get back home content regardless. I also like doing fun ride because you're not worried about locking up your bike or getting on time somewhere or how fast or slow you go or if you'll stink up the place.
Old 08-11-08, 08:56 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I really haven't done much of anything just for fun for several years now, apart from a couple of weeks of vacation, which are kinda/sorta fun. Commuting on the bike is the only me time I have to speak of, so I try to make the most of it.
Old 08-11-08, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
How about the desire to get out into the sun, fresh air, and beautiful outdoors?

What's not to enjoy about riding in the great outdoors ... like here, for example ...

I get out quite often. I was just joking
Old 08-11-08, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Last weekend I was on vacation and checked out a bike from the hotel to meet my wife who was a few miles away. It was a refreshing change from my commute/training because I didn't have to be anywhere at particular time, I didn't have to work particularly hard, it wasn't very hot, and it was very scenic.

Generally though I get enough riding time in that if I have some free time I going to use it for something else. If I can incorporate riding into it, I often will but I don't ride just to ride.
Old 08-11-08, 07:48 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I really haven't done much of anything just for fun for several years now, apart from a couple of weeks of vacation, which are kinda/sorta fun. Commuting on the bike is the only me time I have to speak of, so I try to make the most of it.
I couldn't live like that.
Old 08-11-08, 07:55 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Same here. A major part of life is having fun. Otherwise, what is the point?

That being said... commutes are fun. As are utility rides, random centuries, my local out and back or training loop, off roading on my MTB, taking a spin around the neighborhood with my kid, a family ride, club ride, random bike ride to wherever, etc.
The one exception is riding my trainer in winter but that is more for when I have issues getting outside and the alternative of no exercise is far worse.
Old 08-11-08, 07:57 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Same here. A major part of life is having fun. Otherwise, what is the point?

That being said... commutes are fun. As are utility rides, random centuries, my local out and back or training loop, off roading on my MTB, taking a spin around the neighborhood with my kid, a family ride, club ride, random bike ride to wherever, etc.
The one exception is riding my trainer in winter but that is more for when I have issues getting outside and the alternative of no exercise is far worse.
Exactly!

And I even try to make my trainer as fun as I can (sometimes a difficult task) by doing things like listening to music I like or watching intriguing movies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.