Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Killed by Motorist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Killed by Motorist

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Are any of you categorically stating that you have driven without being able to see properly and continued on?
Sure. For many miles in severe snow storms. Fortunately not a part of my life any longer, but some summer thunderstorms can create nearly those conditions.
Old 10-25-16, 06:53 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I lived in the area for 6 months, the 4 times the sun came out, the locals were blinded even at high noon, while they were looking north.
Yeah, the locals are pretty used to living under gray skies... Looking north, eh?
Old 10-25-16, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Tragic, but I am certainly not ready to give the man death for what appears to be a genuine accident (preferably, without getting into another semantics argument about "accident").

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Ok, I am still not understanding: I've done my share of driving. Never have I (even momentarily) been in a situation where I could not see properly. If I had encountered such a situation, I would have pulled over, naturally.
I encounter it a few times a week on my morning and afternoon commute, especially this time of the year. Low sun on an east/west highway pops out from behind the horizon, pops out from behind a cloud, you come out of a tunnel, go around a corner, etc. If you are in heavy traffic flow, hitting the brakes and pulling over is far more likely to cause a wreck than gradually reducing speed in a predictable and manageable to others manner.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
So now we know for sure... the death penalty does deter murder. So many decades of studies and research on the subject... and now we know. The stiffer the punishment the greater the compliance and the better/safer/more law abiding society. Except... there are places where they've been chopping off the hands of common thieves for 1500 years.... but they still have common thieves.
Are we going to get into another murder v manslaughter argument? The death penalty doesn't seem to deter murder in states that retain it, they have a marginally higher rate, and certainly doesn't deter accidental actions or reckless actions that result in death as the thought of being executed when those actions are being undertaken generally is not present.