Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

stolen bike party down the street from me

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

stolen bike party down the street from me

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 11:41 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Riders shouldn't be running from the police....

But take an action that will put an unarmed teenager in the hospital, or even kill one... and they could be up for police brutality charges, or perhaps even homicide.
As a guy who lives downtown and has almost been hit by these kids in bike lanes and side walks, you'll have to forgive me if I'm less than sympathetic to balancing their rights. It's not a cute little nuisance - it's extremely dangerous behavior based on theft. We're talking about unlicensed, uninsured kids without fully formed brains operating motorized vehicles recklessly in population centers. High speed chases may not be the answer, but doing almost nothing to address it isn't helping either. The what to do part is the trick.
Old 08-11-15, 12:05 PM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
As a guy who lives downtown and has almost been hit by these kids in bike lanes and side walks, you'll have to forgive me if I'm less than sympathetic to balancing their rights. It's not a cute little nuisance - it's extremely dangerous behavior based on theft. We're talking about unlicensed, uninsured kids without fully formed brains operating motorized vehicles recklessly in population centers. High speed chases may not be the answer, but doing almost nothing to address it isn't helping either. The what to do part is the trick.

Yeah, what to do is the trick. It's definitely dangerous behavior to everyone around, including themselves. But catching them, when they can just scatter and ride down any alley or up any stairs they want, is very difficult, and made more so because you don't want to kill the jerks while catching them--whatever they've done, it's not a capital offense. It really is a very tough problem for the police. My understanding is they usually settle for dispersion over apprehension.
Old 08-11-15, 12:19 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Yeah, what to do is the trick. It's definitely dangerous behavior to everyone around, including themselves. But catching them, when they can just scatter and ride down any alley or up any stairs they want, is very difficult, and made more so because you don't want to kill the jerks while catching them--whatever they've done, it's not a capital offense. It really is a very tough problem for the police. My understanding is they usually settle for dispersion over apprehension.
Our prisons are over flowing as is - tougher responses aren't necassarilly the answer. I suspect the real long term answers are difficult, expensive and controversial. It's easier and more satisfying to fantasize about pulling a rope across the street.
Old 08-11-15, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maryland’s Bicycle Helmet Law
Maryland law requires all bicyclists under the age of 16 to wear a bicycle safety helmet when riding on public property. This includes roadways, trails and sidewalks. Some local jurisdictions maintain their own local rules:

• Allegany County – under 16
• Howard County – under 17
• Montgomery County – under 18
• Sykesville MD – all ages (includes adults)

In the video most of the kids on the bicycles were clearly under age the above age. Not sure if the police have the man power to enforce the above law or not, but it would be a good start toward getting some of those kids off the street. It looks like a zoo and a bunch of wild animals running around out there.
Old 08-11-15, 01:44 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Essex
Some parts of the Maryland / DC area have suffered from poverty for decades and decades. And urban Baltimore especially so. When I was in Baltimore last summer I was surprised to see miles and miles of older homes abandoned (this includes parts of DC as Chris mentioned) and folks out on the street doing nothing. Given conditions (where you cannot occupy your brain, or maintain a livelihood) like that during the summer it is hardly surprising to see kids gathering about on their inexpensive bikes, or motorcycles trying to have some sort of "fun." In short - Baltimore is not/has not been doing well, and without some level of massive redevelopment, or huge social programs undertaking - will continue to be a sore spot for the nation. Pretty sad considering that the seat of the US government is only a short train, or drive away.
The Baltimore inner city has beautiful row houses. But just across the street from a line of fine-looking stone row houses, could be a vacant lot, or a bunch of abandoned buildings. In DC, depending on what section of the city you are in(DC has Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, and Southeast). Usually, it is the predominantly African-American sections of the city, that are neglected. Not by the residents' themselves. But by the landlords. There is a section in the southern end of the county I live in. That makes the bad parts of DC, actually seem like a paradise.

Last edited by Chris516; 08-11-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 01:56 PM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Maryland’s Bicycle Helmet Law
Maryland law requires all bicyclists under the age of 16 to wear a bicycle safety helmet when riding on public property. This includes roadways, trails and sidewalks. Some local jurisdictions maintain their own local rules:

• Allegany County – under 16
• Howard County – under 17
• Montgomery County – under 18
• Sykesville MD – all ages (includes adults)

In the video most of the kids on the bicycles were clearly under age the above age. Not sure if the police have the man power to enforce the above law or not, but it would be a good start toward getting some of those kids off the street. It looks like a zoo and a bunch of wild animals running around out there.

Ok, first, the bicyclists involved, again, are the most minor part of the issue. The issue is dirt bikes, as in, off road motorcycles. Ticketing some kids for not having helmets will do nothing. Worse than nothing, it will be seen as harassment.

Second, you are not going to make any friends worth having by referring to a group of mostly black folks as "It looks like a zoo and a bunch of wild animals running around out there". I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't mean it that way, but you should be aware that referring to black people as "animals" and belonging in zoos has a long history in this country, and it is not a pleasant one.
Old 08-11-15, 04:19 PM

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was the bike party returned or not?!
Old 08-11-15, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
The Baltimore inner city has beautiful row houses. But just across the street from a line of fine-looking row stone row houses, could be a vacant lot, or a bunch of abandoned buildings. In DC, depending on what section of the city you are in(DC has Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, and Southeast). Usually, it is the predominantly African-American sections of the city, that are neglected. Not by the residents' themselves. But by the landlords. There is a section in the southern end of the county I live in. That makes the bad parts of DC, actually seem like a paradise.
I visited the house where The Accidental Tourist was filmed. Sadly, this home/movie set is now abandoned and in disrepair. When I went to shoot photos of the home and parked my new Prius in front of a adjacent vacant lot a woman came out of her house to question what I was doing. I guess I represented something too out of the ordinary. Down the block were more lovely examples of classic Italianate architecture going to rot.
Attached Images
Old 08-11-15, 07:51 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Essex

I visited the house where The Accidental Tourist was filmed. Sadly, this home/movie set is now abandoned and in disrepair. When I went to shoot photos of the home and parked my new Prius in front of a adjacent vacant lot a woman came out of her house to question what I was doing. I guess I represented something too out of the ordinary. Down the block were more lovely examples of classic Italianate architecture going to rot.
The despicable part, even more. Is that when Hollywood comes a calling. They don't help revitalize a run-won neighborhood where a film was done.
Old 08-11-15, 08:22 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The despicable part, even more. Is that when Hollywood comes a calling. They don't help revitalize a run-won neighborhood where a film was done.
Why would they? They rent a location to make their movie, not provide social services.
Old 08-12-15, 05:04 AM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart
Why would they? They rent a location to make their movie, not provide social services.
Because, It is self-serving, to revitalize one house/building. Instead of helping to revitalize a neighborhood.
Old 08-12-15, 08:29 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Because, It is self-serving, to revitalize one house/building. Instead of helping to revitalize a neighborhood.
Well yeah, they are a business, and just like why you go to work..........their primary goal is to make money, not to be a charity.