Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Contentment, or purposefully riding beater bike in place of a better/nicer one...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Contentment, or purposefully riding beater bike in place of a better/nicer one...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 03:17 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I have a twist on this - I prefer to ride higher-end (or unique) C&V in beater condition, avoiding the nice mint stuff and the low-end stuff in beater condition. #ShabbyBikeSnob-Kurt

I have a twist on this. (Sorry if already mentioned by another poster)

Most riders think of vintage as low-end, obsolete, undesirable stuff. So it follows - every vintage ride without brifters, new brakes, huuuge cassettes, etc
- is more-or-less a beater ride.

I usually ride my vintage bikes rather than 10sp Campy Ergo equipped CF, Ti, new steel bikes.
Therefore, celebrating the titled theme of this thread.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-16-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 03:27 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
I also don't need a record of my bike ride or the performance output to analyze and dissect for data gathering and sharing. What a Beater approach to cycling!?!

But I DO like a few pictures.

This beater gets ridden occasionally - but not on long rides.

Bridgestone CB-1 City Limits (1986?, maybe 87)

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-16-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 04:07 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I have a twist on this. (Sorry if already mentioned by another poster)

Most riders think of vintage as low-end, obsolete, undesirable stuff. So it follows - every vintage ride without brifters, new brakes, huuuge cassettes, etc
- is more-or-less a beater ride.

I usually ride my vintage bikes rather than 10sp Campy Ergo equipped CF, Ti, new steel bikes.
Therefore, celebrating the titled theme of this thread.
Ergo? CF? New? What?

-Kurt

Old 02-16-19, 08:47 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Ah well, one man's beater is another man's garage queen.
Old 02-17-19, 06:11 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
A "lesser" bike as a rider bike? All my bikes get ridden.

I did not start "collecting" to be a collector. Better bikes came my way and I came to like the build-up process. However all were built and kept to be riders.

They are all different so for every ride I pick one that seems appropriate. But there is no "best". Well, actually there is, but I don't always pick it.
Old 02-17-19, 10:47 AM
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I worked in a bike shop as the “classic era” of steel bikes was transitioning to “modern” aluminum, carbon fiber, brifters, and threadless forks. At the time I didn’t appreciate what was being lost. Mountain bikes were becoming all the rage, and I was immersed in the latest cycling trends, so I sold my 1989 Fuji Sagres SP steel sport touring road bike and bought a carbon fiber MTB. I raced in local mountain bike races, and upgraded to nicer bikes, and eventually lost interest. I really missed my late ‘80’s steel road bike!

Last year I found a 1986 Schwinn Prelude locally for $150, and I loved it! But the original wheels wouldn’t stay true, the flexy vintage Diacompe brakes were terrible, and the friction shifters were annoying to me on hilly terrain. I wanted this same late ‘80’s steel frame magic with a nicer wheelset and modern components, so I built up a slightly nicer Tenax Schwinn frame with modern stuff, and I love the result. But the old $150 Prelude still gets use, and has that vintage mystique that makes me feel like a teenager again. And neither bike is “high end” by any means.
Old 02-17-19, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I ride these, to get from here to there and do so on a regular basis...

I ride these when I want to REALLY enjoy the ride...

Old 02-17-19, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I like top of the line models that are already beat up; less to worry about, cheaper to buy, but I am still riding what I love.
Old 02-17-19, 08:44 PM

Bikes: GT Grade (Sora), Kestrel Talon X (105), vintage Univega Competizione "Frankenbike" w/ Record, Mavic, and 105 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I view a stable of bikes as something of a tool box. Each bike has it's place and purpose. I'm not going to go do threshold efforts or intervals on a beater, and I'm not going to leave my CF bike locked up in front of a store. If I'm running an errand or my speed/intensity isn't important, a "beater" is perfect. I'm fact, since I'm one of those people who has trouble holding back, riding a beater actually helps keep me from turning an active recovery ride into a hard effort.
Sometimes you need a hammer; sometimes you need a micrometer.
Old 02-17-19, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I bang around the ATL on my vintage Kuwahara American Flyer. Damn fine ride.

Old 02-17-19, 09:15 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Assuming your signature is accurate, you have a lot of very nice bikes. Take a deep breath and just enjoy them.

Takes a lot of practice to 'live in the moment'; five years into retirement, I feel like I'm getting there.
The OP is looking for an excuse to buy a beater to add to his fleet. We should never try to stop anyone from acquiring N + 1,
Old 02-17-19, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by vintagerando
I like top of the line models that are already beat up; less to worry about, cheaper to buy, but I am still riding what I love.
Yeah I'm with you on this. I like finding a top of the line bike which is a bit beat up. That way I don't mind riding it hard.
Old 02-17-19, 09:22 PM

One of my favorite bikes is a "beater" bike. It's a Sekine SHS 271. The bike is pretty much all original (other than the consumables) and in pretty good shape. The bike is nothing super fancy but it has a nice frame (tange tubing) and a lot of early Shimano stuff. The bike rides great. I've even kept the turkey levers since they just look right on the bike.

Old 02-17-19, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I ride these, to get from here to there and do so on a regular basis...

I ride these when I want to REALLY enjoy the ride...

One day, I want to get my hands on a Cyclops. I would really like to own one.
Old 02-17-19, 10:42 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
The OP is looking for an excuse to buy a beater to add to his fleet. We should never try to stop anyone from acquiring N + 1,
I like this!
Old 02-18-19, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes I have several nice bikes but ride an old Huffy Glacier I got out of a neighbors trash a long time ago most of the time. It has 4 panniers and 2 other bags for shopping etc on it. Never gets flats and I don't worry about it getting dirty, stolen, or anything. It doesn't mind potholes or curbs and is very stable and even quiet.I grease it occasionally. It is very ugly!
Old 02-18-19, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Dahon Speed 7 (20" wheel folder, 4130 frame), big rear rack with panniers and large trunk bag, small front rack and panniers, small backpack hanging on front of handlebars in large gap to front wheel. My urban assault vehicle. Can haul 5 bags of groceries, 7 if 2 hanging on the handlebar ends, and a 6-pack on top of the front rack.
Old 02-18-19, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I bought a light touring bike in '77, and still ride it. It started to look ratty after a year, so I gave it a great silver paint job, and then spent two weeks worried about it getting stolen until the paint turned grey. Since then, I've just let it get rusty and dirty while staying well tuned. I regard it as camouflage. I don't want to be like the man with more than one watch, who thus never is sure of which is right.
Old 02-18-19, 02:03 PM

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I don’t ride this much but when I do, it makes me laugh.
This came to me via my old neighbor when he moved back to NY years ago after retiring. He’d had it since he was a kid. I haven’t done anything to it except put on newer tires and oil the chain. It really deserves better but other projects and adventures get in the way. It mostly just takes up space in my cluttered garage...I'll probably end up just giving it away.

Beater by NBend, on Flickr
This is one of my all-time favorite pictures. Photo taken one summer evening riding on a beer run via the rail trail to the Snoqualmie Brewery. The fenders and rack making a terrible racket, the rear wheel with a significant hop bouncing up and down, and the pedals feeling like they are about to fall off. Feels like you’re riding a clown bike.
I had no need for a bell when passing folks on the trail. They’d hear me a mile away and stop and gape as I rattled by with a stupid grin on my face.

Evening_Grin by NBend, on Flickr
Old 02-18-19, 02:35 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
^^ Familiar story. Years ago at our old house, a neighbor gave me a 50's era Schwinn Hornet, woman's and in two tone brown and cream (add a third tone -natural rust). Balloon tire, down swept faux gas tank, 4 lbs rear rack, 10 pounds of fenders and saddle.

It was perfect for the neighborhood and ride to the beach. That bike would ride 'plush'!

When we moved, I just didn't have room or really the desire to keep it anymore, but mostly thought best it stay in the neighborhood. I gave it to another neighbor who seemed caring enough. One who would drive by in his BMW z1 with the top down and compliment the old hag bike. Lol
Old 02-18-19, 05:01 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I ride my 2002 LeMond Zurich Triple. Not sure if that is quite a classic yet but it is an older bike with a lot of miles on it.

Old 02-18-19, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Steel is for real!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Well, you are right. I definitely enjoyed finally breaking the stuck stem out of the PX10 the other day

Most of those are in a state of flux, needing repair or a build - the Ironman with a stuck seatpost all the way down, the PX10 that is too big to fit, the other one that is down to a frame, etc. etc.

I suppose they were acquired on the way 'up' the mountain, somewhere in the middle. I see a pile of Wiegles, Singers, Herses, Confentes, and others at the top, off in the far distance. However, perhaps it is all vanity. I'm reminded of the post where a former Confente owner sold his because it didn't really seem that different from some of his other bikes. Maybe the mountain top experience really happens along the way.
I never had a top end bike for several reasons...1) I’m far too frugal 2) I don’t see the value in buying a ridiculously expensive bike 3) probability of theft would ruin the possibility of enjoying it with peace of mind.

Having said that I enjoy my steel frame (older and heavier)bikes over my aluminum bikes with higher end components. Not because I like the lower end components more its the superior feel of the steel frame ride imo.

95’nishiki colorado>02’ k2 zed team
80’(ish) trek road bike 022 tubing> 07’(ish) specialized allez elite
I just picked up a slightly too small 17' masi uno fixed gear a few months ago and since its my go to ride
Waiting for a 70’s Peugeot to arrive and more excited about that than anything I currently have

You got my attn with your comment about a too big PX-10...how big is too big? I’m looking for a 64cm

Cheers
Old 02-19-19, 07:52 AM
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
I find this thread fascinating for a number of reasons.

First, there is the variable setting of the "beater bike" bar. I've seen some very nice bikes in this thread referred to as beaters.

Second, there is that fear of theft that keeps you riding an old nail with a crappy finish, or a nice bike disguised as an old nail, but mechanically perfect.

Third, did I miss it, or is there not a Peugeot U08 in this thread yet? That particular bike is the perfect example of the breed.

Here's my bro-in-law Mike, on the U08 I built for him:

What an athlete!

Then there's my own Pug PFN-10 Beater, which I also named Velo de Ville:

The truth is, after I gave the humble U08 to Mike, I actually missed the thing!

The PFN-10 was bought for thirty-five bucks at a divorce/revenge sale, and I've replaced practically every single component on it to render it comfortable for everyday use.

But if I had restored it to original, it wouldn't be considered a beater at all. Funny how these things work...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 02-19-19, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've got a 1980s BSA, looks rough, steel wheels, etc. I use it as a town bike, and love riding it as it's very comfortable to ride and I can lock it up in town without worrying.

It gets used on the work commute as well on wet days; I find it's not actually much slower than the bikes I normally ride into work on.

1980-something BSA - Winter commuter and town hack
Old 02-19-19, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Gas pipe bikes

I love a ride on a responsive lightweight bike that blasts away from lights and hammers on the flats. Pumping away on a heavyweight gas pipe bike would leave me wanting to take the gas pipe. I don't need the latest and greatest. I ride a 85 Cannondale 12 speed and keep a Nasbar hybrid converted to a bombproof touring bike for "going for groceries" or a little dirt riding.
Now truth be told, I had a garage full of "interesting" bikes at one time but getting rid of them has made me a better man and daily rides on the 'dale has made me less of a man, (about 20 lbs. less), so whatever floats your boat as long as you ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.