Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are rim brakes obsolete on higher end bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are rim brakes obsolete on higher end bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 07:42 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 7,527 Times in 4,211 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Maybe cantilever style rim brakes are pretty obsolete for cyclocross/hybrid use. Because mechanical disc brakes are just as cheap as cantilever brakes now. Is there a use for cantilever brakes any more?
Gravel bikes. Touring bikes.

both of mine have cantis, but the touring bike frame was made almost 39 years ago.
I chose canti for gravel as i liked the frame. Haven't wished for disc yet after a few years and countless hills of loose gravel and dirt.
Perhaps I am too slow down gravel hils to feel the need for the confident braking of disc brakrs.
or perhaps the need is overblown and canti brake reliably and predicatbly stop my 230# so they would do the same for everyone weighing less too.
Old 08-15-18, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked 1,191 Times in 775 Posts
Rim bikes are on the way out and will only be found on department store bikes in the near future.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ge...g-point-51685/

https://www.mantel.com/blog/en/road-bike-disc-brakes/
Old 08-15-18, 07:58 AM
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Gravel bikes. Touring bikes.

both of mine have cantis, but the touring bike frame was made almost 39 years ago.
I chose canti for gravel as i liked the frame. Haven't wished for disc yet after a few years and countless hills of loose gravel and dirt.
Perhaps I am too slow down gravel hils to feel the need for the confident braking of disc brakrs.
or perhaps the need is overblown and canti brake reliably and predicatbly stop my 230# so they would do the same for everyone weighing less too.
Don't upgrade to good hydraulic disc brakes, that way you won't know what you are missing out on. I can definitely say that you would throw those cantilever brakes in the garbage bin after riding on some good hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 08-15-18, 08:04 AM

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Funny, I saw many team bikes on the Tour De France this year with disc brakes. I just bought my first bike with disk brakes and love them, especially when caught in the rain. Unlike rim brakes you can actually stop when the rims get wet.
Old 08-15-18, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,652 Times in 7,363 Posts
Originally Posted by Harumph
Unlike rim brakes you can actually stop when the rims get wet.
I+1. I have rim brakes and cannot stop in wet conditions. Fortunately, I star in my own personal version of the film "Groundhog Day" so it doesn't matter that I die each time when I ride my rim brake bike in wet conditions. The next morning I wake up and am alive all over again.
Old 08-15-18, 08:32 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 7,527 Times in 4,211 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Don't upgrade to good hydraulic disc brakes, that way you won't know what you are missing out on. I can definitely say that you would throw those cantilever brakes in the garbage bin after riding on some good hydraulic disc brakes.
for sure totally agree.

You can't miss what you dont know.
its a great way to live when it comes to a hobby with a never ending consummerism approach to advancement.
Old 08-15-18, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 I doubt disc brake wheel changes will ever be faster and probably at times slower for quite a while. So you will see the riders who specialize in competing for the GC (lowest overall time or in simple terms, the winner of the big stage races) staying away from brakes that could cost them valuable time for a routine wheel change for a flat tire.
Pro mechanics are practicing with cordless screw guns to cut down the time as well. Reportedly, they've got it pretty squared away.

I could understand the concern of wheel availability with neutral support but, even then, they'll likely be able to hold the sizes needed. Mavic are quite thorough.
Old 08-15-18, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both canti and disc and I really don't make a lick of difference to me. I think if you do commuting and travel through a bunch of traffic areas then disc is the only way to go, but seriously on a road bike I try to maintain speed and hardly use the brakes.
Old 08-15-18, 01:09 PM

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a rim on my bike and hydraulic disc on my wife's bike, which I occasionally ride. The only time I see a major difference in performance is on some very steep and long descents, but even considering I live in a very hilly area, there are just a few of those here. On the other hand, disc brake installation and maintenance requires WAY more time and effort. On my rim brakes, in 10 years I had to replace cables once and still on the original pads. On my wife's bike, I had rear contaminated and already had to replace rear pads after about 6 months of riding.
Old 08-15-18, 01:19 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by vtje
On the other hand, disc brake installation and maintenance requires WAY more time and effort. On my rim brakes, in 10 years I had to replace cables once and still on the original pads. On my wife's bike, I had rear contaminated and already had to replace rear pads after about 6 months of riding.
Replacing pads on a disc bike takes a small screwdriver, a tire lever and 5 minutes, tops. Maintenance on discs is way overblown - I think that it's less of a hassle than rim brakes.

If you got 10 years on your rim brake pads and cables, well, there's something unusual going on there.
Old 08-15-18, 02:16 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
I guess I was out for a smoke when disc brakes won the nomination and election. I was bored this afternoon and wasted an hour or so wandering through the current offerings of the major bike companies. All I could find in the world of carbon frames are disc brakes (with the exception of the obligatory entry level model). I'm a firm believer that disc brakes are overkill for the road - but as usual I guess my Luddite tendencies along with my white hairs are starting to show. Yes I know there are other frame materials and have owned and ridden a version of most offerings but I have decided that I like the ride of a stiff plastic frame. So what do I do when my 6 year old Synapse assplodes and I survive?
The 2019 Trek Madone SLR, ie- Trek's flagship bike, is offered in both rim and disc brakes. And the rim version is very snazzy with the calipers tucked away inside the front fork. So they obviously put a lot of thought into the rim version. In fact, they've said they know many of their customers still want rim brakes, so at least Trek isn't feeding into the hype that disc is the end all, be all.
Old 08-15-18, 02:17 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,880 Times in 3,168 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Replacing pads on a disc bike takes a small screwdriver, a tire lever and 5 minutes, tops. Maintenance on discs is way overblown - I think that it's less of a hassle than rim brakes.

If you got 10 years on your rim brake pads and cables, well, there's something unusual going on there.
No alignment, no toe-in, no cable adjustment on hydros. Just got my first bike with discs and I am sold. Plus, I have already learned how to cook sweat from my oily scalp, or some other noise-causing contaminant, out of my front pads with a mini-torch!
Old 08-15-18, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

No alignment, no toe-in, no cable adjustment on hydros. Just got my first bike with discs and I am sold. Plus, I have already learned how to cook sweat from my oily scalp, or some other noise-causing contaminant, out of my front pads with a mini-torch!
my resin pads are silent unless it’s raining.
Old 08-15-18, 02:53 PM
• —

Originally Posted by noodle soup
my resin pads are silent unless it’s raining.
These are metallic, but I’m pretty sure something got on them this weekend.
Old 08-15-18, 02:58 PM

These are metallic, but I’m pretty sure something got on them this weekend.
the metallic pads are longer wearing, but can be noisy.

If you aren’t regularly charging long downhills, resin pads might be a better choice.
Old 08-15-18, 03:01 PM
• —

Originally Posted by noodle soup
the metallic pads are longer wearing, but can be noisy.

If you aren’t regularly charging long downhills, resin pads might be a better choice.
Yep. Will change over as soon as these are worn or before if problems recur.
Old 08-15-18, 03:08 PM

Yep. Will change over as soon as these are worn or before if problems recur.
it’s a cheap upgrade, and a huge improvement.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F0...isc-Brake-Pads
Old 08-15-18, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I am defining “High End Market” as the bikes that are ridden by the World Tour teams. Bikes above $10,000 dollars, generally. I can’t see Specialize not making a bike for Peter Sagan to ride in the classics. Peter rode rim brakes for Paris-Roubaix. The banter was he and other contenders were worried about getting wheels from neutral support. Eventually, these fears will subside as the market figures things out in terms of standardization. Until then, I believe the manufacturers will continue to have a rim brake option in their line ups.
Old 08-16-18, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
High end climbing bikes --> rim brake
High end aero bikes --> disk brake
Old 08-16-18, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
How'd that 3DTV thing turn out?
thats funny!
lets not bring in transitional media / electronics into this.
HDDVDs, VCD, DivX......
Old 08-18-18, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Are down tube shifters obsolete on new high end bikes? Technology moves on. People appreciate it or keep the old stuff.
I am riding a 31 year old Cannondale with down tube shifters, rim brakes and a six speed freewheel. It still works somehow.
Old 08-18-18, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Talking to wrenches who worked the Tour...where the visibility was high...teams were redesigning their bike racks on the tops of the team cars. Why? Because it is faster to replace a whole bike than to change a wheel with a disc brake.

This won't apply to the rank and file like the riders here. But most of us say disc brakes do not belong on road bikes.

BTW...we did laugh at the squealing of the disc brakes on descents in mountain stages. eeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Now...in bikeforums fashion people with disc brakes will raise their fists in anger and tell us that they are better. As a guy who spent time in Europe racing, in the rain and snow, we never failed to get our bikes stopped.
Old 08-18-18, 11:38 AM

Just this morning disc brakes likely saved me from a wreck.

Riding about 18mph on a MUP, and the end of a tunnel was blocked by a 6” thick mudslide. I was able to stop in time, but the guy behind me(by about 20’) could not. He went ass over teakettle, and landed in the mud.
Old 08-18-18, 02:49 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
I've said this before; it drew some heat, but I'll say it again. This is not a good time to buy a road bike because: 1. The disc vs. rim brake issue isn't resolved. We think disc is the future of high-end road, but we'll know more with the next TdF. 2. We know that electronic shifting is the future, but that technology is in its infancy. Think of how stupid looking older Shimano brifters are, with their exposed cables, chrome, and bulbous shapes. Today's electronic shifting will look and be equally stupid from some future vantage point.

There. I said it. Feel free to attack.
What needs to be resolved re: rim vs disc? If you think that discs would be beneficial to your riding, buy them. If not, don't. The TdF is neither here nor there. The only practical concern is parts availability moving forward and I don't think that that's going to be an issue either way.

Electronic shifting is not in its infancy. Di2 is closing in on 10 years old and we're in what - the 3rd or 4th generation? Yeah, not exactly early adopter territory.
Old 08-18-18, 09:46 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts
Originally Posted by Harumph
Unlike rim brakes you can actually stop when the rims get wet.

?? How have I survived biking outside year round all these years? Even in the tough northern Utah winters.

People just crack me up sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.