Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The seat forward on old road-bikes thread....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The seat forward on old road-bikes thread....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-22, 12:52 PM
Human-Powered

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Suburban, 1973 Raleigh Sports, 1978 De Rosa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Well, the time-trial went about exactly as I thought it would. The Huffy did not break, and turned a 19.5mph average over the 12 miles. Not much to say, it was like any other race, if a few things had gone better I may have got close to 20mph, but if some other things like wind would have been different I could have gone slower. So it all averaged out and no complaints. I am pretty sure on a loop-style course with less hills the bike could have gone 20mph though. The bike felt great, I can't imagine what I could change to make it feel any better. It might be nice to try it with the bars dropped lower, but unless I can find a stem that slants down sharply I don't think the bars can go lower. I do think that if I continue training I can get faster, as long as I don't have any more heart problems or crashes, I have not even done any real interval or weight training. I do have a few other Huffy ten-speed parts bikes I have cut up and am planning to weld back together into a "funny bike" configuration, that might help a little with aerodynamics and power and be worth a bit more speed.

Equipment opinions aside - well done on the ride! Respectable!
Likes For tremolo1965:
Old 07-10-22, 04:24 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
It's not every day that I see a Huffy in the 24" frame size, much less with a corn cob freewheel.

Good job.

Be aware that this vintage of Huffy is very likely brazed, not welded. So the tubing may not be amenable to tube-to-tube welding as strength may suffer.

My Huffy in the same 24" size (and same Varsity-clone 70-degree frame angles) has yet to be built up. But this effort has inspired me.

Likes For dddd:
Old 07-10-22, 04:53 PM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 381 Posts
Equipment opinions aside - well done on the ride! Respectable!
Agreed. 19-20 mph is more than respectable. Congratulations.

I can't help wondering what your speed would be on the Super Sport.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-10-22, 06:34 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
It's not every day that I see a Huffy in the 24" frame size, much less with a corn cob freewheel.

Good job.

Be aware that this vintage of Huffy is very likely brazed, not welded. So the tubing may not be amenable to tube-to-tube welding as strength may suffer.

My Huffy in the same 24" size (and same Varsity-clone 70-degree frame angles) has yet to be built up. But this effort has inspired me.

Nice, another 24" Huffy, you just don't see them. I did not know what mine was when I bought it as it is branded "Belknap Bluegrass" to be sold through that hardware chain, but the serial number is Huffy from 1973, Huffy would have called it a "Scout" I am pretty sure. It looks like you have your frame plated? I hope you can find a Huffy decal or headbadge for it.

I have oxy/acetylene torches and lots of brazing and welding rod, also a shielded Mig machine, so I am all set for playing with the other Huffy frames I have. Besides making the "funny bike" style frame, I also plan on cutting up a Schwinn crank and welding it back together to make it 172.5-175mm, a length I am more used to. The reason for using the Schwinn crank is that it is more narrow than the Huffy crank, which I thought would bring the rider's legs in for better aerodynamics.

The rear freewheel is a Shimano, I also have a Suntour that is not quite as tight I have used much more, but the Shimano has an 18T cog I wanted that the Suntour did not have.
Old 07-10-22, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by philbob57
Agreed. 19-20 mph is more than respectable. Congratulations. I can't help wondering what your speed would be on the Super Sport.
I am going to look for some narrow bars and a drop stem for that SuperSport then maybe I will ride it outdoors more, I think a 25" frame is just a bit too tall for me though to be comfortable when laying low at high speeds. Maybe I could get used to it though. My Motobecane I raced 25 years ago was 25" frame, and I used to be able to average 23+mph on it at one time, but I don't think I have that strength anymore at 60 years-old. If my health holds and I can find the time to train well, I am sure I could come up with another mph or two on a standard round-tube road bike. I am simply not interested in riding anything else, and never will be.
Old 07-11-22, 10:47 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Well, the time-trial went about exactly as I thought it would. The Huffy did not break, and turned a 19.5mph average over the 12 miles. Not much to say, it was like any other race, if a few things had gone better I may have got close to 20mph, but if some other things like wind would have been different I could have gone slower. So it all averaged out and no complaints. I am pretty sure on a loop-style course with less hills the bike could have gone 20mph though. The bike felt great, I can't imagine what I could change to make it feel any better. It might be nice to try it with the bars dropped lower, but unless I can find a stem that slants down sharply I don't think the bars can go lower. I do think that if I continue training I can get faster, as long as I don't have any more heart problems or crashes, I have not even done any real interval or weight training. I do have a few other Huffy ten-speed parts bikes I have cut up and am planning to weld back together into a "funny bike" configuration, that might help a little with aerodynamics and power and be worth a bit more speed.

If I did that, I'd have to hear at least 10 carbon cowboys say "just think how fast you'd be......"
Good job.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-11-22, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
If I did that, I'd have to hear at least 10 carbon cowboys say "just think how fast you'd be......"
Good job.
Yea, a lot of people miss the point that I like my bikes, and that my interest is in how fast the Huffy can go, not their bike or some other bike. It is easy find examples of how fast multi-thousand dollar TT bikes that weigh the same as a frisbee can go, but if you want to know how fast a real Huffy product can go in a TT, I guess this is it for now.
Old 07-11-22, 12:45 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
Old 07-11-22, 02:11 PM
Banned.

You have found the power position for you.
Once you get up to speed, you stay there.

I can't relate, 100%, but I did "sorta" the same thing in a triathlon, on a Trek Y-Foil.
Fastest bike leg, and I was not, by a long shot, the best cyclist there.
It was a good day, I kept my head down, didn't miss a shift, kept momentum.

It was at least a decade ago, around a lake, in very humid conditions, and the air was just dead.

The speed was about my norm, about 19.7 or so, but well below most tri-guys and some tri-gals.
I've been amongst the same folks, PR'd at 24.5, (again, a decade ago) and maybe I was 7th fastest in my age group.
I actually think they had a lot of trouble with the humidity and dead air that day. I simply didn't.
iab put some "performance issues" in the best perspective; but I won't quote him here...

A guy came up to me afterwards and said, "some days, you just hit everything right."
That includes the Porta-John, in my experience.

Another guy came up to me and said "that is not a UCI-legal bike."
I said "did you see that Marinoni over there?" He walked away.
Priorities.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-11-22, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
. I did "sorta" the same thing in a triathlon, on a Trek Y-Foil.
The speed was about my norm, about 19.7 or so, but well below most tri-guys and some tri-gals.
I've been amongst the same folks, PR'd at 24.5, (again, a decade ago) and maybe I was 7th fastest in my age group.
I actually think they had a lot of trouble with the humidity and dead air that day. I simply didn't.
Another guy came up to me and said "that is not a UCI-legal bike."
I said "did you see that Marinoni over there?" He walked away.Priorities.
I talked with someone who rode a Trek Y-Foil in the TT Saturday, they bought it new and really liked it, and they mentioned it was not UCI legal, they did triathalons. Lots of triathletes are slow on a bike, some of them are good at one or two of their skills, but few are good at all of them. I met four riders this summer so far training for a local triathalon, three of them told me they were not fast on a bike, one I rode with and they were almost as fast as I was but said they preferred to run.

In the TT a younger muscular guy on a late-model specialized who did triathalons blew by me with some authority, then I noticed he slowed enough I was keeping pace with him, then when we hit a grade I caught and passed him back and stayed ahead of him more than half the TT, but on a downhill section he passed me again and I could not catch back up, just kept him in site. After the finish line I caught up with him riding back to the start area and had a BS session. If I had not passed him back initially and just kept my cool and followed, I may have been able to pass him later in the TT and had it stick and may have had a bit higher average speed, but just like he probably overreached to initially pass me, I probably did the same getting back past him. It is so easy to forget the long game.......
Old 07-11-22, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dddd
Did somebody say Varsity? The older ones have I believe a 69-degree seat tube angle, so reversing the clamp is a no-brainer.

Coincidentally, I recently picked up an emerald-green Varsity that was put out for trash behind a local restaurant, it is a 21" frame though so way too short for me. I love the color though. Am going to try and get it rideable enough to give it to my wife's cousin who can not afford to buy a road bike.
Old 07-12-22, 07:08 AM
Banned.

In the TT a younger muscular guy on a late-model specialized who did triathalons blew by me with some authority, then I noticed he slowed enough I was keeping pace with him, then when we hit a grade I caught and passed him back and stayed ahead of him more than half the TT, but on a downhill section he passed me again and I could not catch back up, just kept him in site. After the finish line I caught up with him riding back to the start area and had a BS session. If I had not passed him back initially and just kept my cool and followed, I may have been able to pass him later in the TT and had it stick and may have had a bit higher average speed, but just like he probably overreached to initially pass me, I probably did the same getting back past him. It is so easy to forget the long game.......
Most triathletes will pass me on anything flat or slightly downhill, but I'll get them on the climbs. I did a long ride with a BF member, and we constantly passed tri-folks on the climbs, then were overtaken on the flats. As the ride went on, the rollers eventually had us passing them for good. I've been around many triathletes, most of them former runners, and they simply train that way, getting in a good mash on the flats, but changing up the breathing for climbing is not as easy, I guess. Tri-bikes are notoriously poor climbers, as well, or seem to be. I've had a couple and hated every inch of them, despite liking the looks.
Old 07-12-22, 08:26 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You lost me when you wrote "84" wheel diameter." Have fun on your "standard" 14-28.
That one is just nomenclature: 27" is an estimate of the diameter, and 27" x 3.14159 = 84.8", so 84" is an estimate of the circumference.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-12-22, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Road Fan
That one is just nomenclature: 27" is an estimate of the diameter, and 27" x 3.14159 = 84.8", so 84" is an estimate of the circumference.
I think I measured from the center of the axle to the floor with weight on the bike to make it more accurate. And I did put up a correction later, but thank-you for noticing. I guess the best way would be to have a helper and have them mark the tire and floor and watch while you were sitting on the bike and rolled it forward one revolution. I think I got it close enough.
Old 07-12-22, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
No worries!!!!
Old 07-13-22, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,773 Times in 973 Posts
I bet you would have gone 20 if you had the 🐯

Free the Tiger
Old 07-13-22, 07:34 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26456 Post(s)
Liked 10,416 Times in 7,231 Posts
...I was curious how this thread could still be active, so I looked at it. Now my neck hurts.
Old 07-13-22, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The thread that keeps on giving or taking
i have not decided
Old 07-14-22, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I bet you would have gone 20 if you had the 🐯

Free the Tiger
Is that a green Varsity? A lot of bikes may have helped me go a little faster, but I was just interested in seeing that my 73' Huffy was capable of what I thought it was. There are always a lot of "what ifs" for this type of riding event. Mine were if I had pre-run the course more and known it's several turns at intersections better and it's 5mph hairpin turn-around at it's halfway point, if I had not botched the shifting on one of it's faster sections and shifted down instead of up and lost momentum, and if my wife's snoring had not had me spend the previous night on the couch giving me next to no sleep. But I don't think any time-trial or race participant can not rattle off a number of things that could have gone better, even those who finish on the podium. If I had a 24" Schwinn Varsity from the 70s I am sure it would go just as fast as the Huffy did. I was thinking of taking my green Varsity for a long ride but it is two or three inches too small for me to be able to pedal it efficiently or even be comfortable or safe on it maybe.
Old 01-18-23, 08:46 AM
Banned

I built up this old Schwinn several weeks ago and have been really enjoying riding it with it's seat as far forward as it will go;

Also, the Supersport in it's last configuration before I put it away for the winter; a darn fast bike;

Old 01-18-23, 09:01 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you want to be that far vertical over the pedals, you might want to consider a unicycle.
Old 01-18-23, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Entertaining thread, only comment I’ve got, that hasn’t been made already, is that beng1’s Supersport is not an 87, as he stated in post #162, it’s an 84 or possibly an 85. An 87 would be magenta and white, with Tenax tubing
Tim
Old 01-18-23, 09:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Entertaining thread, only comment I’ve got, that hasn’t been made already, is that beng1’s Supersport is not an 87, as he stated in post #162, it’s an 84 or possibly an 85. An 87 would be magenta and white, with Tenax tubingTim
Yea, I think you are right. My SS had Columbus tubing, and I think it is Tenax. I can't get to it right now as it is jammed behind a car in my small garage. If I post about the bike again in the future maybe I will remember what year it is. I wish the frame were an inch shorter, but for ten bucks I will put up with it.
Likes For beng1:
Old 01-18-23, 09:31 PM

Bikes: 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, 1961 or 1962 Geminiani Special, 1990 British Eagle Touristique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Also, the Supersport in it's last configuration before I put it away for the winter; a darn fast bike;
Wait a minute, wasn't one of the hotly- and long-debated points whether or not the equipment makes a difference--whether (weight notwithstanding) there is such a thing as a "darn fast bike?"
Old 01-18-23, 09:47 PM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Yea, I think you are right. My SS had Columbus tubing, and I think it is Tenax. I can't get to it right now as it is jammed behind a car in my small garage. If I post about the bike again in the future maybe I will remember what year it is. I wish the frame were an inch shorter, but for ten bucks I will put up with it.
Hell of a deal for 10 bucks, have fun with it! Here is mine, I think yours is also a 25” frame
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.