Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Got me a Nöll Pro frameset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Got me a Nöll Pro frameset

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 09:20 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
That bike sure turned out well!
Old 03-09-20, 02:52 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 4,633 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I can relate to the issue of making the touch points feel more than 'good' on a bike, they have to feel 'right'. With many bikes in the collection, it is impractical (non-sensical?) to make them identical in components/positioning. Narrow bars, narrow Q are priorities for me. I always have to adjust to the wider stance on my triples. And pointy tipped aero hoods (on only 1 bike) are to be replaced next handlebar wrap. I think riding many bikes with varying components over the years often makes us more 'tolerant' with regard to minor geometry differences - at least for outings under 40miles.

As for the Vittorias, the supple sidewall is nice. I run 27/28s a bit under 100psi.
Exactly. By now I do know how to put together a bike that will be "good" for the distances I usually ride, which is up to 60 miles or so, sometimes on rough and hilly terrain, like the various Eroica events.

But a few have turned out "just right" and I am still trying to figure out what it is that makes the difference. Two common denominators seem to be well-used Brooks saddles and cranks with narrow Q factors. Bar width doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I seem to be drawn towards the 60's and early 70's frame geometry and I like the look and feel of the narrow bars of that period.

I'm sure there is magic involved somewhere, and I suspect the French may have something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, as it gives me something to do. Imagine how boring life would be if I'd already found the perfect bike recipe.

Originally Posted by dddd
That bike sure turned out well!
Thank you.

Old 03-09-20, 04:21 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
I can't believe you can get a frame like that for €40. Is that common where you are?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-09-20, 04:52 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 4,633 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I can't believe you can get a frame like that for €40. Is that common where you are?
Not really, this was a pretty good deal, IMO. Had it been a more familiar brand and Reynolds or Columbus tubing it would have been at least twice that. I got it at a swap meet from a friendly professional trader who'd probably bought it for the parts and wanted rid of it.

Old 03-10-20, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Very cool bike #non-fixie.
love the color and decals. You got lucky for that kind off money and such a cool look.