Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18527 Post(s)
Liked 15,877 Times in 7,454 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Yeah, when they walk like a person wearing road shoes.
But again...How can you determine causation without examining the duck’s excretory system and observing it’s bowel functions? Guess we all need second hobbies.
Old 10-01-20, 05:11 AM
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
When I first got back on my bike after 25 years I used old school toe clips and straps because that is what was on my bike. I'm in the hills and had to get off the bike and walk quite a bit so when I decided to get clipless it was SPD two bolt so that I could walk. I have SPDs on all of my bikes, 2 road, one gravel and one hybrid and use them on my indoor trainer plus I have two pairs of SPD shoes.

Over the last year my skills and abilities have improved to the point that I don't have to walk. I would like to have SPD-SL now but I'm too deep into SPD to justify the cost of them right now. Having said that I don't think I would gain much by switching with the exception of having a more comfortable shoe as my shoes are not high end and I think I would be better served with something better, higher quality. My feet are train wrecks.
Old 10-03-20, 12:17 AM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 929 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm assuming the OP already knows how to ride a bike and has rode bikes with platform pedals, is familiar with this type of pedal, and is therefore asking about which type of clipless pedals they should try.

The only way to experiment with pedals is to buy some and give them a try.

I think the part of your post I mostly disagreed with is where you wrote that "unless you intend to race, you're better off sticking with platforms". This is a totally different statement than suggesting someone new to riding bikes stick to platforms.
Okay, clipless it is!
Old 10-03-20, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
It doesn’t take much of a ride before I prefer MTB style SPDs over platforms. I’ve gotten so used to being able to pull a pedal up into the power stroke position for easy take off from stationary that I feel outright handicapped riding flatties.
Road-style SPDs have never featured greatly. Either I’m not pushing hard enough, or I’m not sensitive enough to perceive any of the merits regularly associated with road shoes.
Old 10-03-20, 03:53 AM

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
There is nothing wrong with ordinary platform pedals until you ride with wet and slippery shoes. On those days the security of cleats is most welcome. Shimano M324 or similar dual purpose pedals are a useful solution. You can use regular shoes for short casual rides, or mountain bike shoes for longer or more challenging rides. The downside to the M324 is that they are a bit heavy so putting them on an ultralite road bike might seem a bit silly, but they are practical.