Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading XXXIII

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 07:11 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
So glad you are ok! I’ve been looking at that helmet brand/model. Comfortable and cool?
Old 01-25-18, 07:58 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
So glad you are ok! I’ve been looking at that helmet brand/model. Comfortable and cool?
I was amazed by how well the Overtake vented, while at the same time being impervious to bees. Also very light, and quite comfortable. Comes with two full sets of pads as well. And clearly, it works. Sadly, I got mine on sale for cheap, and couldn't find anything even close in terms of price now, as the newer MIPS model is cha-ching. If you don't need a size L, you can still get deals, particularly in the more... colorful options.

I stopped at the LBS about 10 minutes after getting back up and got an unbeatable deal on a matte black Kask Vertigo 2.0. Which is the fanciest thing I've ever put on my head. But now I have to worry about bees again. Sigh.

Originally Posted by jsigone
glad the bike and yourself for the most part is OK. Was it the R3?
Yeah, the R3. Now I've put down every bike at least once. I hung the busted helmet on the busted KHS frame, which is hanging up in my workshop. I can't throw stuff away.
Old 01-25-18, 09:15 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I picked up some Look Keo 2 Max pedals and installed them on my inside bike tonight. I also bought the red cleats because... red is fastest of course, and also floatiest. Anybody want the gray ones that came with the pedals?

I tried shimano pedals with yellow cleats and it felt like me feet were locked to the pedals. Very disconcerting after 20 years on speedplay. The looks actually felt really good, although I think I"ll have to fiddle with the cleat position some more. They're much more sensitive to position and angle than my speedplay cleats were for obvious reasons.

Interesting how much difference just 3 degrees difference can make. I'll probably keep 'em on my spare shoes/trainer until after TDPS and then move them to the new fancy bike.

Interestingly, the SS light action pedal was 104 grams, the Keo was 130. I didn't weigh the cleats but I guarantee the keo cleats are significantly lighter - there's just a lot less there and no metal other than screws. I didn't expect that.
Old 01-26-18, 09:39 AM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Glad you and the bike are ok, @DrIsotope!

@TrojanHorse, I use SPD-SLs, I've always used the yellow cleats with 6 degrees of float. I had some blue 2 degree cleats that had come with some pedals. My yellow right cleat wore out so I put on the blue one, so I'm running a mixed set. I can't even tell the difference. Guess it just depends what you're used to.
Old 01-26-18, 10:17 AM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I hated SPD-SL when I tried them. Speedplay work for me. I'm using zero's now and have adjustable float. Mainly I had trouble getting in on hills with the SPD-SL and once you miss the pedal you have to pedal around one legged to get pedal back. Not to mention a few times when my foot slipped off the pedal when it missed and slamming my crotch onto the seat. I will stick with the Speedplay. I love the walkable aero version tho the round things that go in the cleat area to protect them don't stay put. First time I tried using them one fell out. I was hoping they'd protect my cleat on AIDS Lifecycle at the pit stops since there is a lot of walking and often in dirt. 2nd ride I brought stuff to clean my cleats out and re-lube them because that first year they got increasingly difficult to get clipped in and out thanks to all the crud.
Old 01-26-18, 10:23 AM
Just Keep Pedaling

Just ordered the Overtake MIPS in Matte Cherry from REI. $195 compared to normal $280! My Giro Synthe is 3 years old and has a dent in it from something tho I never crashed but obviously it took a bump somehow.
Old 01-26-18, 10:27 AM
Non omnino gravis

I still don't know how y'all can live life with 3-bolt road shoes. I watch those guys penguin walking in a restaurant or convenience store and just shake my head. I gotta walk sometimes, so it's 2-bolt for me. I'll ride down to where my wife works and go out to lunch-- with 3-bolt shoes, I'd have to stash shoes in her car or bring flip-flops in my jersey pockets. Easier I think to just be able to walk.
Old 01-26-18, 12:16 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by jimincalif
@TrojanHorse, I use SPD-SLs, I've always used the yellow cleats with 6 degrees of float. I had some blue 2 degree cleats that had come with some pedals. My yellow right cleat wore out so I put on the blue one, so I'm running a mixed set. I can't even tell the difference. Guess it just depends what you're used to.
I got hit by a car when I was 20 years younger and after 2 meniscus surgeries, there's not much left. My knee is sensitive to float / lack of float. Obviously tons of people use the shimano pedal system with success

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I still don't know how y'all can live life with 3-bolt road shoes. I watch those guys penguin walking in a restaurant or convenience store and just shake my head. I gotta walk sometimes, so it's 2-bolt for me. I'll ride down to where my wife works and go out to lunch-- with 3-bolt shoes, I'd have to stash shoes in her car or bring flip-flops in my jersey pockets. Easier I think to just be able to walk.
It's just the sacrifice you need to make to be cool. You ditched the sleeveless jerseys and got a cool road bike - you're almost there, just need new shoes to put you over the top.
Old 01-26-18, 02:17 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Well, since I just ordered my gravel bike, I'm going to be looking at different cleat options for something more walking friendly. Most of my riding will still be road, so for now I'll just mount an extra set of SPD-SLs on it. The owner of my LBS uses and swears by eggbeaters, but I haven't really started looking into it.
Old 01-26-18, 04:04 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 915 Times in 277 Posts
I don't walk to much in my road shoes so 3 bolt is the way to go

I use yellow shimano cleats
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 01-26-18, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same here, yellow shimano cleats, much improved foot comfort over 2 bolts...thinking about trying out speedplays in the future (longer spindles)
Old 01-27-18, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I use the blue shimano cleats as the yellow were too floaty for me. Once adjusted they felt great.

With Speed Play I didn't feel comfortable to stand up to pedal as I felt my right foot was going to come undone.
Old 01-27-18, 05:13 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by dagray
I use the blue shimano cleats as the yellow were too floaty for me. Once adjusted they felt great.

With Speed Play I didn't feel comfortable to stand up to pedal as I felt my right foot was going to come undone.
Sounds like the right cleat on the speedplay were too loose?

They make light action which are easier to unclip. With my Zero’s I’ve not had issues with putting down power or standing and pedaling.

The light actions have been known to unclip if I moved my foot position too much. Those are on my hybrid now.
Old 01-27-18, 06:41 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

The new Smith Overtake helmet arrived today. (FAST!).
Old 01-27-18, 08:23 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by dagray

If you prefer the blue shimano cleats, I can't see speedplay ever working for you. Having said that, the old X style speedplays were like riding your bike on ice cubes. It definitely took some getting used to.
Old 01-27-18, 08:27 PM
SuperGimp

I rode outside today. Conditions were horrific. Started out at 46 F, I thought I was going to lose a finger to frost bite. It did eventually warm up all the way to 72 F, which was lovely. Blue skies, headwinds brought loads of other cyclists out as well.
Old 01-29-18, 02:55 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I still don't know how y'all can live life with 2-bolt mountain shoes. I watch those guys scraping tiles in a restaurant or convenience store and just shake my head. I gotta walk sometimes, so it's $5 tennis shoes from the salvation army with the inner heels hacked of with a boxcutter for me. I'll ride anywhere, for any distance. With 2-bolt shoes, I'd have to buy like $100+ extra-wide cycling shoes every few years. Easier I think to just be able to walk.

Thinking of going cliplessless
Old 01-29-18, 03:17 PM
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I still don't know how y'all can live life with 2-bolt mountain shoes. I watch those guys scraping tiles in a restaurant or convenience store and just shake my head. I gotta walk sometimes, so it's $5 tennis shoes from the salvation army with the inner heels hacked of with a boxcutter for me. I'll ride anywhere, for any distance. With 2-bolt shoes, I'd have to buy like $100+ extra-wide cycling shoes every few years. Easier I think to just be able to walk.

Thinking of going cliplessless
We're not just coming from different perspectives, we might as well be coming from different planets. Because on the planet I live on, I can't get a decent pair of cycling shoes for any type of cleat for $100.

If their 2-bolt cleats are scraping, they did something wrong, because mine have never touched the ground on any pair of shoes I've owned.

And cut up tennies so I could walk? Oh lord. I'll never be "serious" enough.
Old 01-29-18, 03:25 PM
Keepin it Wheel

?? Are we not all clydes? My cleats would always scrape on pavement or click on tile. They were Forte (Performance house brand, equivalent to something by Nashbar, I can't remember the name at the moment)

Tennies are not cut up so I can walk, they're cut up so my duck-footed-heels won't hit the cranks or chainstays. And because I pronate (or is it supinate?) I never use the insides of the heels anyways.

Pinned platforms FTW!
Old 01-29-18, 04:04 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
?? Are we not all clydes? My cleats would always scrape on pavement or click on tile. They were Forte (Performance house brand, equivalent to something by Nashbar, I can't remember the name at the moment)

Tennies are not cut up so I can walk, they're cut up so my duck-footed-heels won't hit the cranks or chainstays. And because I pronate (or is it supinate?) I never use the insides of the heels anyways.

Pinned platforms FTW!
I go back and forth, depending on my needs. When I was commuting, it was easier to just use the pinned platforms. Too many stop lights, and when I was commuting after dark the cleats were just too much of a pain to deal with.

But for longer rides where I don't need to stop very often, some type of cleat. I have both SPD and Look - right now I have the SPD on my Zwift bike, but the shoes aren't as comfortable, and just last night I dug out the Look pedals and the Sidi shoes with the intent of putting on my Zwift bike.

My beef with the Look pedals is that you really can't walk in the shoes at all. And I got caught out when one of my tires exploded out on the road and I didn't have any sort of normal shoes to change into. I had about a mile walk to get to a LBS to get the thing repaired. At that point I realized that if I was using those shoes/pedals I would need to carry either a spare set of shoes or a full spare tire (not just the tube). The shoes survived the ordeal, but the heel pads were worn down pretty bad - fortunately those are cheap and easy to replace. At the time I switched back to SPD just because I didn't want to have to carry a backpack with extra shoes every time I went for a ride.

The SPDs I can kind of walk in - with my shoe, the cleat is recessed, so I am actually walking on the tread of the shoe and not the cleat. Not perfect, but still not great, and I have some amount of traction on the ground, so I don't feel like I am going to slip and fall. I am not 100% sure, but I think those shoes are Pearl Izumi.

The Sidi shoes just don't have any kind of proper grip on a normal floor and I worry about slipping and falling. For the trainer, they are perfect.

FWIW, I have somewhat wider feet myself. Shimano were horrible - impossibly narrow. If you have wide feet, see if you can try on some Sidi, and see if those are any better.

Last edited by ericy; 01-29-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 05:45 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Im trying to picture riding with tennis shoes with the heels DIY'd off.
Old 01-30-18, 11:07 AM
Keepin it Wheel

lol, just the flare of the inner heels, not the whole heel! And technically running shoes, as 'tennis' shoes would probably have a non-flared heel that wouldn't hit the cranks. I don't smartphone, but next time I dig up the camera I'll take a picture of my hacked shoes.
Old 01-30-18, 11:37 AM
Non omnino gravis

I used to think I had wide feet, until I saw the feet of a person who actually had wide feet. Didn't look human. They looked like paddles with toenails. I wore 13EEEE for years until I happened to find a pair of 14 in a store. Lo and behold, I wear a 14.

On the bike I wear Diadora X-Vortex Pros-- as diametrically opposed to hacked tennis shoes as I can possibly reckon.
Old 01-30-18, 12:01 PM
Keepin it Wheel

yeah, my feet look like I must have an extra toe, if you lop off the pinky they'd be normal width (like the evil stepsisters in the original Grimm's version of Cinderella, and Stephen Sondheim's Into The Woods). When I was a kid my dad always said I'd be the next person to walk on water
Old 01-30-18, 01:05 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Honestly running shoes would be uncomfortable for me due to way too much flex in sole. Carbon sole road bike shoes for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.