Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Aesthetic Fender Opinions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Aesthetic Fender Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 11:44 AM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd go with the Planet Bike Cascadias. Aesthetically speaking, they fit the style of the Trek better than the Handsomes. IMO, of course.
Old 10-24-19, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
That's what I'm worried about. For the most part, this bike is going between home and work, where there's a rack and many cameras, and to the grocery store, coffee shop, and a few other places. Bike theft here is not rampant and is more of a crime of opportunity. I have a substantial chain lock. I still wanna be careful about being too flashy. I get excited, because it's an opportunity to build a dream commuter (within reason), and I love beautiful bikes.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you using the aluminum Planet Bike fenders? The steel fenders are a bit heavier than I'd like to go. I know it's kind of pointless to obsess about weight on a commuter, but I do have to push this thing up a few hills. I live in the foothills of the Appalachians, and I'm already feeling it enough on my Italian bike with a backpack.
The Planet Bike fenders on my daughter's bike are plastic. The problem is not so much the flimsiness of the plastic, but that of the stays,
Old 10-25-19, 02:40 AM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's also a pretty chainguard on the gazelle
Thanks, got it on French eBay. It's a vintage model from a brand called RIGID.
Search for "garde-chaine velo" and you're bound to find a couple of them for arounc €30 + shipping.

Old 10-25-19, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I recently installed a set of the Bike Planet ALX on my new (to me) winter commuter. Went on pretty good and seems really locked in place, happy so far. I only considered plastic or aluminum, glad I ponied up the extra for the aluminum.
Old 10-25-19, 07:44 PM
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I appreciate the opinions and suggestions from everyone. I decided to go with the hammered copper fenders and picked up some leather mud flaps to match the bar tape. Bougie commuter bike should be fun.
Old 10-25-19, 10:28 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Your build isn't far off my Initial build idea for my gravel bike/light touring rig/commuter. Glad you went with the copper fenders, I couldn't find them when I was looking initially so I went with some velo orange hammered 45mm fenders. Still have the copper toe clips and bottle cages though... Maybe I should reconsider buying the coppers...

Also, pics of your rig when you get it please!
Likes For suncruiser:
Old 10-26-19, 10:47 AM
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
Your build isn't far off my Initial build idea for my gravel bike/light touring rig/commuter. Glad you went with the copper fenders, I couldn't find them when I was looking initially so I went with some velo orange hammered 45mm fenders. Still have the copper toe clips and bottle cages though... Maybe I should reconsider buying the coppers...

Also, pics of your rig when you get it please!
Oh, I'm sure I'll show off. Handsome Cycles is the only one I know of making a copper colored aluminum fender. I bought from them through Amazon. I actually have a set of pedals with copper toe clips and double leather straps that were on my Ciocc for a bit. When I started back commuting after too long, I realized I needed all the help I could get with some of these hills. Doesn't help carrying stuff with my lowest gear being 42x26. I went back to clipless until I get my climbing legs back. I can't believe I used to ride up the mountain here on track bikes.