Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ladies Eisentraut Limited?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ladies Eisentraut Limited?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 01:01 AM
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Brent Steelman

Originally Posted by noobinsf
The guy in the middle is Brent Steelman, right? I remember seeing that pic on the interwebs with a caption.
Yes, I thought it was Brent Steelman but wasn't sure so I threw it up to see what stuck!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 11-17-21, 10:24 AM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Yes, I believe the first two digits are the year. Most will have "L" or "A" (for an A custom) in the third position. Mine, a Turin-branded Limited is 75T005 ("T" for "touring" or "Turin", I don't know).
Originally Posted by juvela
there were two models of Limited; "road" and "touring"
Originally Posted by verktyg
"A" in the serial number indicated the a frame was an A Model while "L" was used for the Limiteds....

There's a lot of info in this BF link.

Alpine/ Georgetown Cycles frameset info?
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The Two Digits/Letter/Three Digits serial numbering pattern was not used on "A" frames. Those have six digits. An "A" frame with the serial number 991276 (a made up number - I doubt there were ever 99 "A"s made in a single month) would be the 99h frame from December 1976. Some "A"s may have had the letter "A" or the letter "E" at the beginning (not at all sure about this), but my 1978 "A" frame has no such leading letter - just the six digits.

BTW, Bruce Gordon used the same six digit serial numbering system, I believe with a "G" in front of it, for his namesake frames.
I'm hoping we can come to some conclusion/agreement on serial number formats. On the one hand, Limiteds certainly seem to be "YYLNNN," where "YY" is a two-digit year, "L" is a letter and "NNN" is a sequence number. bikingshearer says A's are different, NNMMYY (sequence number, month, year). Still, on the above mentioned thread about Georgetown/Alpine stuff, we have:

Originally Posted by 4funbikes
One of the serial numbers reads 75A029. Assuming thats the year and production numer.
I can't find the quote now (of course), but it seems someone in one of these threads suggested that the letter in Limited frames indicated the particular builder. (I'm a bit skeptical of that.) If so, the above serial number indicates the frame is either a Limited built by someone with the last name starting with "A" or perhaps it is an A. The Alpine appears to have been built very near in time to my Turin-labeled Limited, but the lugs seem quite different. The seat stay tops are about the same. Is it possible that "L" was for Limiteds badged as such, while other letters referred to the vendors of contract-built frames ("A" for Alpine, "T" for Turin, etc)? Is there any consensus on what the letters mean?

As for what verktyg wrote:

Originally Posted by verktyg
The Road model Limited frames had long point Prugnat Type "S" lugs with stamped cutouts. Most didn't have fender eyelets on the dropouts but a few were made special order with them on the rear only.

I'm no lug whiz, but I'm pretty sure mine has neither Prugnat nor Nervex Pro lugs. Scroll down here to see the bare frame photos from jeirvine which highlight the lug work. Maybe the bottom bracket shell is Nervex Pro? It also has eyelets front and rear. It seems clear there was some variability in how Limited frames were outfitted.

Last edited by smontanaro; 11-17-21 at 12:10 PM. Reason: ungarble my original text
Old 11-17-21, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

at the conclusion of the Limited operation there was discussion of creating a new enterprise on a somewhat larger scale and with greater automation

discussions went so far as to look at possible locations in west Berkeley near the marina and landfill sites

the proposed sponsor was to be an entity called Basic Tool

other readers are sure to know more regarding this...

-----
Old 12-03-21, 09:47 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB2 and 500 , Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks again everyone I sent a photo of the Bike to both Stones Cyclery through their Facebook page and Holland Cycles E-mail and didn't get any replies to wrap this up.
Jim