Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Sprinters

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LansingWes
Maybe someone can correct me, but Cavendish (a sprinter) is wearing the World Champion Jersey, no?
The worlds is one race. Some of the time it is set on an flat coblefree course where a sprinter is favored.

It isn't like he won the Pernod Super Prestige Trophy.
Old 07-03-12, 04:15 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
The worlds is one race. Some of the time it is set on an flat coblefree course where a sprinter is favored.

It isn't like he won the Pernod Super Prestige Trophy.
LOL. You're a tough crowd all on your own.

Back to Fausto, my ranking is the same as yours. Merckx, Coppi, Hinault. I'm so old that I can remember Merckx and Hinault. I wish I'd seen Coppi, but his palmares, and the awe of contemporary observers, brook very little argument.

Some of the pre-war guys must have been extraordinarily hard men, but the sport was so different then that comparisons become ridiculous.

Speaking of sprinters, Kelly, Maertens and de Vlaeminck were special, too.
Old 07-03-12, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
LOL. You're a tough crowd all on your own.

Back to Fausto, my ranking is the same as yours. Merckx, Coppi, Hinault. I'm so old that I can remember Merckx and Hinault. I wish I'd seen Coppi, but his palmares, and the awe of contemporary observers, brook very little argument.

Some of the pre-war guys must have been extraordinarily hard men, but the sport was so different then that comparisons become ridiculous.

Speaking of sprinters, Kelly, Maertens and de Vlaeminck were special, too.
Sounds like you are older or started watching younger that I did.

Good to find a kindred soul.

On a recent thread Sagan was compaerd to some very ordinary current riders after I compared him to Freddy (Maertins). People not having any understanding of just how good Maertins was.

Have you heard it said that de Vlaeminck actually knew every cobble on Paris-Roubaix?

EDIT: One interesting thing I found out recently is that Maertins won 13 stages in the Vuelta in 1977. I'd bet that is the most of any stage race. Only Binda comes close (In the Giro).

Last edited by Keith99; 07-03-12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 05:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
You're pretty determined to cling onto your ignorance, aren't you? But I don't expect you to know much about them. And since you don't know about them, they can't matter...
Why are attacking me personally ?
Old 07-04-12, 05:55 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Sounds like you are older or started watching younger that I did.

Good to find a kindred soul.

On a recent thread Sagan was compaerd to some very ordinary current riders after I compared him to Freddy (Maertins). People not having any understanding of just how good Maertins was.

Have you heard it said that de Vlaeminck actually knew every cobble on Paris-Roubaix?

EDIT: One interesting thing I found out recently is that Maertins won 13 stages in the Vuelta in 1977. I'd bet that is the most of any stage race. Only Binda comes close (In the Giro).
I started watching - as far as watching was possible with the very limited TV coverage - in 1974 or 75. Merckx was past his absolute peak but still God. Maertens was absolutely phenomenal. Possibly the greatest compliment I have heard paid to Cavendish was Sean Kelly saying that he might be as good as Maertens. Freddy was more versatile, though. I can't honestly say I remember the 1977 Vuelta, the other tours got very little coverage here until much more recently, but to win more than 50% of the stages in a GT is simply ridiculous.