Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How about no more whining about flat tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How about no more whining about flat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 09:13 AM

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by SwampDude; 05-27-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 09:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding mostly in Indiana and Florida, flats just don't happen a lot. Folks that have frequent flats, I believe, are ridin with too little air.

I have been whinin some about busted Presta valves. I've been putting on and taking off the floor pump nozzle the same way for years, but for some reason I've been breaking some Prestas during air up; the screw and nut break off. I'm buying good tubes. Haven't changed pumps. Go figure.

PS: I must be the oldest "Junior Member" in BF history. How do I get that changed to something appropriate, like Old Phart?

Last edited by SwampDude; 05-27-12 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 09:33 AM
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thenomad
I asked a guy in the shop where the patches were, he showed me the stick-ons. I asked if he had any luck with them as I've never had them work for me.

His response "I don't use patches, I do it the RIGHT way by putting a new tube in and throw it away." I replied that I've had multiple flats before. Well, he "carries C02 and two tubes".

Understand why he feels that way but it just tells me that he doesn't ride enough. That 3rd flat or leftover shard is going to ruin his day. Then again, maybe once the flat occurs his Strava time is ruined so he just rolls home.
I personally carry an extra tube, a small tiny box of tube patches, and a small cut retangle of an old tube to use as a sleeve. Some may think it's too much, but ever since I've done this I've never been caught out in the middle of nowhere due to flats.
Old 05-27-12, 09:33 AM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peiper1
So your definition of a "man" is someone who can repair a flat tire on their bike ....?? That's kinda sad for you.
almost as sad as someone who hears "man up" and only hears man. let's all put on our big girl panties and then the OP's mean words won't hurt our feelers too badly. and he's right cell phones don't fix flats. vulcanized rubber fixes flats.
Old 05-27-12, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peiper1
So your definition of a "man" is someone who can repair a flat tire on their bike ....?? That's kinda sad for you.
Been my definition all along.
Old 05-27-12, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
Flats really take down my average speed numbers
You don't include the time you are stopped in your average speed -- especially time making repairs.
Old 05-27-12, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Savagewolf
I personally carry an extra tube, a small tiny box of tube patches, and a small cut retangle of an old tube to use as a sleeve. Some may think it's too much, but ever since I've done this I've never been caught out in the middle of nowhere due to flats.
Duh. What purpose does the old tube sleeve serve? Seriously, I don't know.
Old 05-27-12, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
I'm guessing in case the tire is cut the sleeve will keep the tube from extending out of the tire. I've heard paper money will work for this also. I use those new style "glueless" patches for this, and old style for patching the tube. but the tube piece will work .
Old 05-27-12, 10:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thenomad
I asked a guy in the shop where the patches were, he showed me the stick-ons. I asked if he had any luck with them as I've never had them work for me.

His response "I don't use patches, I do it the RIGHT way by putting a new tube in and throw it away." I replied that I've had multiple flats before. Well, he "carries C02 and two tubes".

Understand why he feels that way but it just tells me that he doesn't ride enough. That 3rd flat or leftover shard is going to ruin his day. Then again, maybe once the flat occurs his Strava time is ruined so he just rolls home.
that is a pretty silly conclusion...although i do like the use of "enough".

double century with only one flat??? not riding enough.

ride around the block with 4 flats??? enough.
Old 05-27-12, 10:27 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
Flats really take down my average speed numbers
Again, AVE SPD related to flats is a poor metric.

What you should be focusing on is the TIME needed to change the flat.

Old 05-27-12, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rx Rider
I'm guessing in case the tire is cut the sleeve will keep the tube from extending out of the tire. I've heard paper money will work for this also. I use those new style "glueless" patches for this, and old style for patching the tube. but the tube piece will work .
Thanks. So you would patch the tube cut and wrap it with the piece of old tube inside the tire to strengthen the damaged area?

I'm so lazy, I carry new tubes for any kind of flat. Sometimes I fix the tube later, sometimes not.
Old 05-27-12, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no when the TIRE is cut, the tube will bulge out of the cut. you need to put something inside the tire to stop it, money, tire patch or a small section of old tube.
Old 05-27-12, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rx Rider
no when the TIRE is cut, the tube will bulge out of the cut. you need to put something inside the tire to stop it, money, tire patch or a small section of old tube.
Roger that, and thanks for your patience. Makes perfect sense. I guess tire slashes can happen, and without something to block the opening, the tube is likely to be exposed. I also see how a dollar bill might work to get you home.
Old 05-27-12, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have only had one flat-flat since 2008. Also in '08 I went through half a dozen Bontrager tubes in a couple weeks that were breaking at the valve or were broken out of the box, but I switched brands and haven't had a problem since.

The only thing to worry about 'round these parts is glass in the road.
Old 05-27-12, 12:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW you are just too cool! I wish I was just like you!
Old 05-27-12, 01:54 PM
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampDude
Rxrider has it right on. If my tire is cut too much, a little patch (I use the old tube cutout, some use a dollar, etc) it gives a tiny amount of protection for the new tube and keeps it from coming out of the tire. It's not something that you'd want to rely on, but it should be enough to get you home. It also takes up nearly zero space and weighs almost nothing.
Old 05-27-12, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a slow puncture today midway through 120 miles, and it ruined my momentum for a while and pissed me off, and used up 3 of my co2 canisters 'cos the spare tube I had in my seatbag had a dodgy valve so I had to take it back out once I heard it hissing and puncture repair the punctured tube.

I completely and absolutely reserve my right to moan about this ****, and yes it's part of cycling and I am good at fixing this ****, but do I need to be happy that it happens......********** NO
Old 05-27-12, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo; 2013 Soma Smoothie; 2010 Cannondale Supersix; 2008 Cervelo RS; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"I've had nine on a century." WTF? Where were you riding?
Old 05-27-12, 07:23 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103

Then I checked inside the tire and found the worlds smallest metal shard. How it got in there I have no idea but it was that few mm of metal that caused it. Its amazing what can cause a flat tire.
Was is truly a shard, or was it a tiny piece of wire? Wire bits from steel belted radials are a common source of flats, and they can be tricky to find and remove.
Old 05-27-12, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Trek 9th District, CAAD 10, Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had a flat, so I haven't fixed one. However, now that I am riding more for commuting it is bound to happen. I've read Sheldon Brown's directions, I have a patch kit, a 15 mm wrench and those lever things in my backpack, but I can't see myself doing my first repair on the side of the road or trail. I'll somehow make it to work or home and do it there. Both work and home have a pump. I need to get a mini-pump. Been thinking about a Pocket Rocket.

I believe that skill comes of doing. I guess I could practice changing a perfectly good tire, but that doesn't sound fun. I promise not to whine.
Old 05-27-12, 08:24 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Practice once at home.

You will benefit much.

Old 05-27-12, 08:35 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Haven't had a flat in five years. But i'm assuming that i'll start getting those frequently when i swich for road tyres this summer.
The tyres i use now are actually 100% puncture proof (well maybe not 100% but so far no punctures while riding through tyre hell) but heavy as **** and about as comfortable as riding on rims.

But i'm still not gonna ride the lightest and fastest tyres around. Riding without decent puncture protection with my weight would just be dumb. Schwalbe durano plus for me please.
Old 05-27-12, 09:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Practice once at home.

You will benefit much.
Such good advice. Fixing a flat is so fundamental to bicycling that I can't imagine getting far from home without knowing how to do it. Many bike shops have free weekend classes to teach fixin' flats. When you practice, do it with your rear wheel so you'll know whats involved with getting it back on and repositioning the chain. Your bike shop mechanic will share some tips that make the whole task easy, and then you'll be prepared.

For airing up after a flat, I use CO2 cartridges, and it's so easy. You just need to get something on board now for airing up. One thing we can promise is that the flats will come.
Old 05-28-12, 07:21 AM
Rides with Scissors

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use conti 4000s with forte thorn resistant tubes and mr. tuffy ultralight tire liners. And while I've changed tires I've not had a flat in 3 years. the tubes hold air tight...even though as practice I top off before each ride.

I do get practice changing tubes on my kid's bikes but they all moved up to full size bikes and wheels this year.
Old 05-28-12, 04:25 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
You don't include the time you are stopped in your average speed -- especially time making repairs.
I tack on "suffer points".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.