Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cause of blowout when heating rims?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cause of blowout when heating rims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 08:49 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
unexpected tire blow-offs could be attributed to a high variability in tire specifications from manufacturers.
Sure, and age of the tire is a factor as well. We all know how tires that are tough to mount when new, get easier when they've stretched out a bit with use.

I'd wager hot rim tire blow offs are less common with new rubber.
Old 03-31-21, 08:53 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Most people live to tell the story when their tires come off the wheel for any reason. Go ride. Use good practices when going downhill.

Seems the safer thing to do would be to discuss safer operating procedures for going down a hill and not nitpick the science behind it.
Old 03-31-21, 09:21 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Anecdotal comments of tire blowouts with hot rims are often associated with a raise in tire pressure or tire rubber weakening in some way. Statements from Wilson's Bicycling Science book suggest tire patches failing or glue weakening for tubular tires as the cause of blowouts for a hot rim. This seems reasonable especially if the patch was poor.

Focusing on clinchers with new inner tubes, heating the rim by 100C (180F, braking on step downgrade) will cause a 20 psi pressure increase, which is insufficient to blowout the tire. As the tire get hots, the kevlar bead (folding tires) has a negative expansion coefficient with temperature. Whereas for steel bead, the expansion is negligible, which suggests that a bead change does not cause a blowout. I have double-walled rims, the spoke ends do not protrude into the rim tape and cannot cause blowout due to weakened rim tape.

Are the above statements are correct? If so, it would appear that heat induced blowouts are due to improper bead seating or poor patches or spoke protrusions, rather than the limitations of tires and tubes. I have not experienced this problem, but I would like to better understand the cause so as not to have an experience.
But your points are well taken, and is a pro disc brake point. This would especially be true for cyclist that live in mountain areas of the country.
Old 03-31-21, 09:45 AM

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But your points are well taken, and is a pro disc brake point. This would especially be true for cyclist that live in mountain areas of the country.
But this is not a clear cut, pro disc point. Like choice of tire and rim for rim brakes, it will depend of choice of disc. Standard discs have much less heat capacity than a robust rim. The same energy dissipation causing the 100C increase I mentioned would fry a standard disc. The newer downhill discs have twice the mass, which among other changes, mitigates the heating problem to some extent.

Last edited by IPassGas; 03-31-21 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 10:02 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I suppose you could get one of those bluetooth temp sensors and put in your wheel rim and monitor that with a phone app. Then you won't have to speculate if you are even near a temp to be concerning.
Old 03-31-21, 10:27 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Food for thought:
A 180mm disc has 1/7th the surface area of a 700c rim brake.
My work should be easy enough to follow.
(I treated the disc as a single, dual sided thing, rims as 2, 1 sided things because they are so far apart.)

Rim_vs_disc by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Area of 622mm diameter circle minus area of 602mm circle gives us the area of the 10mm wide brake track "donut", then times 2 (because seperate 2 brake tracks.)
Then convert mm˛ to inches˛ =59.6 square inches of brake track surface area to act as a heat sink..

Same basic procedure (except not x2, because both brake surfaces are actually 1 & the same) for disc =8.27 square inches of area to sink heat.

Then rim brake sink area divided by rotor sink area = 7.21, the inverse of 7.21= ~1/7

180mm discs have 1/7 the heat sink area of 700c rim brakes

Conversely 700c rim brakes have 7.2 times the area, but are in intimate contact with heat susceptible compenents.

Of course, material mass to heat & thermal coefficients are excluded. Anyone care to carry on the engineering torch?

Last edited by base2; 03-31-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 01:39 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4339 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
If so, it would appear that heat induced blowouts are due to improper bead seating or poor patches or spoke protrusions, rather than the limitations of tires and tubes. I have not experienced this problem, but I would like to better understand the cause so as not to have an experience.
Plastic rim tape failure from heat is a thing - but a spoke-poke is not a blow-out, it's just a puncture, and not nearly as dangerous. It also is a thing even for tubeless tires.

Originally Posted by base2
Food for thought:
A 180mm disc has 1/7th the surface area of a 700c rim brake.
My work should be easy enough to follow.
Of course, material mass to heat & thermal coefficients are excluded. Anyone care to carry on the engineering torch?
You don't account for cooling. The reason "feathering your brakes" works, is because the rims cool off pretty quickly once you let off the pads by transferring heat into the air - relative flow rate of air over the rims is higher than air over disks, so disks cool off slower. I always tell new folks to think of "not braking" as "adding cold" to the rims.
Old 03-31-21, 10:08 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I got to town under similar conditions once by rotating the plastic strip about 20 mm and hogging out a new valve stem hole with my multitool. Back to Velox for me, too. Well, that and disc brakes.
Yeah, I tried that. The problem was that I was only 2/3 of the way down that descent when the tube blew the first time. I repaired the rim strip as you suggested, replaced the tube, and started riding again. A mile later the rim strip let go again.

Multiple flats make Jeff sad.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..