Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone still waiting on a Kryptonite?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Anyone still waiting on a Kryptonite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-04, 02:15 PM
fillpot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
several months after they told me my call tags from ups were on their way and i'm still sitting with two worthless (and quite expensive) kyrpto nite locks. everyone else i know has had the same experience. anyway, everyone has had to buy new locks in the interim so who needs the new, flat lock kyrptos anyway? they really dropped the ball. i would be pleased to see them go out of business.
Old 12-25-04, 02:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kryptonite / Ingersoll rand is such a huge conglomerate that they would never go out of business even if their whole kryptonite lock business dried up.... That's the nature of Big Business in America..
Old 12-25-04, 02:34 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes, but everything can burn down. Everything...
Old 12-25-04, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
says the guy witht the match...
Old 12-25-04, 06:39 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still use my kryptonite. I didn't even bother to try to see if it is pickable. I hope not. If a thief wants my bike, (s)he can have it with the lock. Even if I had a bic safe lock, if a thief really wanted it, they could get it with a little work....
I honestly can't can't afford to buy a replacement lock when the krypotite is in limbo, so I still use it...
What the he!!
Old 12-26-04, 11:35 AM
NoGoSlow

Bikes: Stella fixy conversion, Trek 2300, Specialized Rock Hopper, Schwinn Collegiate 3, Mz Skorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have *only* waited since Dec 9th, the day I got my autoreply. I will continue to wait, and hope for the best. I'm beginning to believe Kryptonite is poo.
Old 12-26-04, 11:37 AM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
don't worry...they don't care. Say what you will - they could offer alternatives, but will not since they are just another Corporate Suckhole.
Old 12-28-04, 08:16 AM
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still waiting too, it's already 12/28/04.
Old 12-28-04, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I registered the first or second day of the registration program. A couple of weeks ago, 14 pounds of brand new locks arrived.

Kryptonite is attempting to replace thirty years of production in under thirty weeks. The most ambitious "recall" program of any product in history.

In the meantime, I was in a store the other day, looking at bike locks. Not only have brands such as "Master Lock" NOT recalled their round key models, they are continuing to sell them. There are five or ten "brands" of bike locks that have used the round keys. ONLY Kryptonite is replacing every such lock they ever made, AND paying the shipping both ways.

So, is it worth waiting four or five months for a FREE replacement lock? Just ask the folks who bought a DIFFERENT brand of lock how long they will wait for a free replacement lock. About 'till there is iceskating in Hell.
Old 12-28-04, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Not only have brands such as "Master Lock" NOT recalled their round key models, they are continuing to sell them. There are five or ten "brands" of bike locks that have used the round keys. ONLY Kryptonite is replacing every such lock they ever made, AND paying the shipping both ways.
My understanding is that it's not a problem inherent to 'round locks' but a particularly low quality type that Kryptonite switched to. I have a Master Lock and a Kryptonite. I was able to open the Krypto with a bic pen but was NOT able to open the Master. Has anyone heard differently? Has anyone been able to open a Master lock?

Take care...

Jim
Old 12-28-04, 09:53 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
All round key locks can be picked (all locks using any key can be picked). In the past, crooks bought special picks for round key locks from locksmith supply companies. The BIC pen story was interesting, because it showed that people can make their own picks.

Just find a "soft" plastic tube that matches the size of the lock. Most bike locks of ANY brand use one of the two or three standard types/sizes of keys that are available. So, a smart, hardworking crook could eventually acquire "picks" that will fit any lock of any brand.

But, not one bike has been conclusively proven to have been stolen using just a BIC pen. Pro crooks have methods that are fast, and work 100% of the time. The BIC pen method is "fiddly". Some people can do it on some locks (sitting at their kitchen table). "Picking" a lock that is 20 inches off the ground, attached to a bike and a rack, while bending over, looking over one's shoulder for the bike's owner...a bit more difficult. A real crook has better methods.

And, a lazy crook are not going to bother with a Kryptonite lock. On every college campus, dozens of expensive bikes are locked with $5 cable locks and $3 chain locks that break with a hard yank. Why bother dealing with a REAL lock? And, lots of bikes have a $5 cable running through only the front wheel, which has a quick release. You could load up an 18 wheeler with the bikes parked at one large dorm without touching a bike using a Kryptonite.

The "trick" to preventing theft is not upgrading the key. It is picking the safest locations to park, the safest times to park, using two or three locks correctly, and remembering to always park next to a new Cannondale that is using a $5 cable lock.
Old 12-28-04, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
I registered the first or second day of the registration program. A couple of weeks ago, 14 pounds of brand new locks arrived.

Kryptonite is attempting to replace thirty years of production in under thirty weeks. The most ambitious "recall" program of any product in history.

In the meantime, I was in a store the other day, looking at bike locks. Not only have brands such as "Master Lock" NOT recalled their round key models, they are continuing to sell them. There are five or ten "brands" of bike locks that have used the round keys. ONLY Kryptonite is replacing every such lock they ever made, AND paying the shipping both ways.

So, is it worth waiting four or five months for a FREE replacement lock? Just ask the folks who bought a DIFFERENT brand of lock how long they will wait for a free replacement lock. About 'till there is iceskating in Hell.
A nice reality check. Bravo!
Old 12-28-04, 11:29 AM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not really when there are alternatives to these locks too. OnGuard, Abus, and there may be others. But Krypto***** is far from the end-all, be-all.
And you can take that to Ingersoll-Rand and stick it up their collective arses.
~From [165] with love~
Old 12-28-04, 12:03 PM
I Voted for the Green M&M

Bikes: Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[165], tell us how you really feel?
Old 12-28-04, 12:10 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, I know. But hey, it is one of my remaining rights. Right?
Old 12-29-04, 06:51 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got my UPS label in the email today! There's hope after all.
Old 12-29-04, 07:19 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so did I
hurry up Harry...I need $$$!
Old 12-30-04, 07:15 AM
quien es mas macho?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me too, also.
Old 12-30-04, 04:14 PM

Bikes: 95 GT Force, 95 Gary Fisher Hookooekoo, 75 Takara fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet justice! my UPS label arrived in email yesterday. I shipped the lock off today. In 3 to 6 short months, I will have a new lock to go with the new one I bought waiting on the old one. Life is good.
Old 01-11-05, 01:37 AM
Endless Blockades Await

Bikes: fuji track @ 49/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
F*** the great Kryptotron and all the cheap copy cats. I took my big a** krypto and put an "American" flat key lock. You would need either a plasma torch or twenty minutes with liquid ice and a chisel to bust this s***. yo.
Old 01-11-05, 11:52 AM
jerk-for-hire

Bikes: 03 bianchi pista, 98? khs track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i concur, kyrponite blows.

i don't even care about getting a replacement from them at this point.
Old 01-11-05, 11:58 AM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a lock to replace it. I'm waiting to see my return one. I hope they do well. Thier parent company: oh well.
Old 01-11-05, 12:09 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got mine finally this past weekend. They changed the NY Lock a bit - they did away with the bend in the U portion that engaged in the straight, locking section. Now it is straight on both sides. Bah...but I did get my mini back. Thank effing Jaysus...
Old 01-11-05, 12:33 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You got yours already? Man UPS sucks, it took 7 days to get to IL from CA. How long was the turn around after they received the returned lock?
Old 01-11-05, 01:53 PM
switching to guns

Bikes: allez fuji tracku nishiki TT GT KHS arrow Miner 29'er CIOCC Corsair and now a f*cking awesome waterford skeet velo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you make duplicate keys of these locks? I see people selling them around here, and I wonder how easy it would be to get dupes made before selling...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.