Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Renting car. Will bike fit inside?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Renting car. Will bike fit inside?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I agree about sedans being impractical, plus I'm always amazed how big my 56 cm Surly DT is. OTOH loosening handlebar/seatpost & removing wheels/racks etc should take 30 min or less, not too bad for a multi-day tour. Much easier than doing S&S disassembly. If the chain has a quick-link perhaps you could remove the chain to lessen chance of staining upholstery. BTW I've never seen a Surly LHT on a roof-top rack, probably a 2-person job to hoist bike up heh.
I just transported my LHT from Oregon to BC, Canada on my roof rack. It is easier with the front rack removed which only takes 5 monutes. When we load it up at the end of the tour we are on, I'll take pictures just to prove it can be done

Actually, it goes on the roof a bit, and is not a problem.
Old 08-06-16, 09:36 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Meh. My recent non-SUV/truck vehicles include a Fusion and a Mustang. Fusion I can fit most bikes sideways across the back seat. Both the Fusion and the Mustang, I've never had any issue fitting a bike (and in many cases, two bikes simultaneously) through the trunk into the back seat with the front wheel removed, and have managed to fit bikes with the front wheel in with the trunk closed just fine. If you are going by yourself, a lot of cars now have front passenger seats that fold down, giving you even more length to deal with.

In any case, I have a hard time believing that there is a midsize sedan you can't fit a frame with both wheels removed into.
Old 08-07-16, 09:00 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Rent a Van From U Haul and there will Be Plenty of space.

For More Rental drop Off Options You can Use The Airport, PDX, use Tri-Met, to get Your bike & Gear to the Amtrak station..

and there You pick up a Bus * that Gets to Astoria (via US 26)

* The POINT - Intercity Transit

./.
U-Haul locations can be quite busy, I've had to take up to an hour to rent a vehicle from them. If one rents more in mid-month there might be less delay.
Old 08-07-16, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doug64
I just transported my LHT from Oregon to BC, Canada on my roof rack. It is easier with the front rack removed which only takes 5 monutes. When we load it up at the end of the tour we are on, I'll take pictures just to prove it can be done

Actually, it goes on the roof a bit, and is not a problem.
I believe you...but doesn't it take 2 people to load onto roof rack? I'd worry about the bike toppling over while I'm struggling to hoist/attach to roof rack since LHT weighs almost twice that of regular light road bikes.
Old 08-07-16, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeff400650
Buy a trunk rack.... This seems like the best idea. The Allen rack on Amazon for $41.00 gets great reviews and should make the trip very easy. Will be a shame to to just leave it behind at a hotel, but I think that is what I'll do. Anybody use these before? Secure?
I'm not sure how a trunk rack makes things that much easier if at all. One has to spend a bit of time & money just to buy, assemble & attach it to the car. At the car rental place you might luck out & get a car that only requires removing wheels & fenders. Stowing bike inside car is more secure against bike theft.
Old 08-07-16, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Own a teenie-tiny sub compact Honda Fit (4 doors, hatchback). Get 39 to 47 mpg to boot!
Inside I can carry our tandem + my single racing bike+ our luggage for a 3 month vacation!
Takes a bit of doing with pedal and wheel removal + removing tandem pilot's seatpost with stoker handlebars attached.
Incredible amount of usable space inside that little Honda Fit!
Old 08-07-16, 10:17 PM
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really doesn't take that much time to re-assemble your bike after removing the pedals, fenders,
wheels, seat post, and loosening the handlebars so that you can turn them sideways.
Rather then using a porous sheet, I always used a cheap waterproof tarp in insure no grease or oil
stained the upholstery, and some cardboard to cover the sharp edges.
Old 08-08-16, 07:15 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I believe you...but doesn't it take 2 people to load onto roof rack? I'd worry about the bike toppling over while I'm struggling to hoist/attach to roof rack since LHT weighs almost twice that of regular light road bikes.
Depends on your strength and mobility. My Schwinn weighs in the neighborhood of 33-34#, and it goes on my roof rack by myself all the time. I can't imagine a LHT is any heavier than that.