Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Depressed prices for vintage cycles and parts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Depressed prices for vintage cycles and parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
As the cost of living goes up, the less I see people investing in do it yourself projects. Their time just gets absorbed in other areas. When posting items for sale, it's pretty much the same crowd that responds, and even that's getting smaller. I'm kind of feeling what my dad went through with his vintage radio collection. As parts became more rare and prices crept up, the have nots went to collect newer versions. As stated above, I'm OK with the devalued market. Will still do what I do, as long as the wind blows and grass grows, lol.
​​​​​​
Old 10-05-18, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I don't think the price changes are as clear cut as the OP makes it out to be. Unfortunately we don't have any real data to work off of beyond our own memories, but AFAICT:
  • High-end, especially Campy Record, prices aren't far off from peak on eBay
  • The international market is stronger than domestic
  • CL prices vary considerably by city
  • Spring remains the most expensive time to buy. Fall and winter are cheapest
  • 10 years ago, the fixed gear wave was driving the high demand for low-mid level road bikes to convert to fixed gears, and track bikes and parts
The C&V bikes that this forum has been interested in seem pretty timeless to me. The performance difference between them and modern bikes is really quite small, unless you are a serious racer. The aesthetics are unique, and contemporary attempts to reproduce them end up expensive and don't look quite right.

Still, not a smart long term investment if you're interested in yield above all else. I don't think many people here really treat them as such...
Old 10-05-18, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Limongi SuperRecord, Chesini Precision, Gilmour Nuovo Record, Waterford Special Super Record, Schwinn Supersport, Tempo, Peloton Carbon, 1974 Paramount, 1974 Paramount1971 Paramount, Guerciotti Nuovo Record, Martelly Diamant Super Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a pantographed Chesini for 80 dollars and a Super/Nuovo Record Gilmour with chrome lugs and stays for 100. So I tend to agree....right now at least.....so I keep looking...
Old 10-05-18, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
...but at least it's not a boat.
"A big hole in the water you pour money into..."

Q: What are the two best days in a boat owner's life?
A: The day he buys it, and the day he sells it.
Old 10-05-18, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Boat: bust out another thousand
Old 10-05-18, 12:29 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
One thing I have been seeing is bike prices are dropping faster than parts. This has made part outs more financially rewarding. Its not that unusual for a bike to sell for what two or three parts might bring.... Sad.
Old 10-05-18, 12:33 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
The market is the market. Sell if you want, buy if you want. Or don’t.

Not sure the point. Maybe I’ve just had too much coffee.

First world problem. Not like we’re selling our bikes to survive. Were that the case, I would.
Old 10-05-18, 12:45 PM

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I’m in Chicago, turning 40 on the 25th of October. The two guys I ride with are 40 and 35. One is a collector and sometimes flipper, the other just digs his Fuji Esprit to no end.

I got into this this after realizing I could find premium frames from 30 years ago for 200ish dollars.

Then I wanted to “try a bunch and see what I liked best” so I found Crit Cannondales, touring Miyata’s, touring Cannondales, Sport Touring Trek... a Carbon Aluminum Miyata...

I did a drop bar Mt bike...
...a frame up build...
sold some for crazy profit, must for a slight profit and a few at a loss, but learned a bunch always.

I stuck to the Treks, Cannonballs, and Miyatas because they don’t command a high premium but are really well made and ride nice. I could find years of catalogs online so I could figure out what I was looking at real easy.
I stayed away from Italian and British stuff so I could have a tight focus and get really knowledgeable on a small segment of vintage rides. I also mainly focus on the sunset years from ‘84/‘85 to about ‘90/‘91 for the same reason.
Now I’ve got all the bikes I could want from within that narrow focus and I’m thinning out as best I can.
Now I’m thinking about earlier years... I’d like to find like, a 70’s Reynolds 531 Raleigh with generous tire clearance and slack geometry. Who knows what’s next.
But the materials and craftsmanship of the lugged frame will continue to hold my attention, And I don’t plan on aging any more, so I’ll just keep on riding!
Old 10-06-18, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jmead11france
I just bought a pantographed Chesini for 80 dollars and a Super/Nuovo Record Gilmour with chrome lugs and stays for 100. So I tend to agree....right now at least.....so I keep looking...
Good price for mid-upper mid range bikes. Did he sell at that because he felt market was deflated, helped you out, or just didn't know? I can't imagine those bike (if equipped with decent parts and good condition) sitting for long in Tuscon since that is a huge cycling market.
Old 10-06-18, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Fuji Finest, Trek 460, 970, Miyata One Ten, Maruishi 606, Univega Alpina Uno LX, Browning Grade V

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's hard to watch well made, good riding bikes get stripped for the parts, but as those parts became unavailable, their prices make it tempting. I recently bought a beautiful Japanese road bike, barely ridden with full Shimano 600 Arabesque. For the first time, I thought to myself "this $60 bike could get me a couple hundred bucks for the drivetrain". As I prefer and have available Suntour and Sugino, it wouldn't bother me in terms of functionality, but I can't bring myself to do it. Seems sacrilegious.
Old 10-06-18, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Seems to me prices are maybe a bit depressed, and for sure, not as many upper end components & bikes available as in the past, but maybe I'm just too isolated, living in a rural area. Also, it was always hard finidng buyers for mid to upper end bikes and components. The "have nots" wanted our good stuff, but were unwilling to pay much. There was resistance beyond $300 or $400.

For me, wrenching & riding C&V bikes is still a fountain of youth.

Andy, a Steyr Clubman?? Actually, an inspired choice. I should quit giving away mid level bikes that always get stolen a few years later. Or maybe not, since I was just as disappointed when a gifted, $10, Schwinn Breeze was stolen from my grand daughter while she was at Oregon State U. Don
Old 10-06-18, 11:45 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
See thread "Yard sale find" post #1 .
Old 10-06-18, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
...but at least it's not a boat.
Hey, I have one of those holes in the water that one throws $100 bills into- regularly.
But every time I go to the slip in which it is moored, I think "I so like this boat".
Old 10-06-18, 12:58 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I have noticed in not too recent years past that Recycled Cycles would usually be stripped pretty bare of good used modern and vintage parts by the end of the summer. They also had summer hours that would have them closing at 8pm instead of 7pm. Last year, only Thursday was an 8pm close day. This year, it's 7pm the entire time. This year as well, the vintage parts and cases were well stocked the entire time, and at the end of the summer, they were filled to the gills. Many STI shifters as well.

Like others have said, the highest end frames have either held value or increased greatly. Old Campy is the same thing, mostly. High end STI/Ergo shifters tend to go for a premium now (crazy, for 9-speed?), though you can still hunt down two-generations-old Dura-Ace/Ultegra shifters for great prices. The key is riding the price trough. The market in general and within specific niches will ebb and flow. Demand overall may be less, but the prices, at least here in Seattle, don't seem to be too affected. If anything, the rise of l'Eroica and 650B/Rando bikes have created a resurgence in interest for vintage frames and parts.

At 34, I am happily an '80s vintage bike guy. Period correct or, preferably, upgraded with more modern pieces that dovetail with my nature and commute scenario (busy city plus steep hills). I never knew what a Schwinn Paramount was six years ago(!)--I was (and am still) a car enthusiast, but hey, a Schwinn World Sport paved the way for me. And it was also nurtured by other bike people, whether that was at shops or through conversations with the two or three people, occasionally, at work. Like @AndyK said, enthusiasm needs nurturing, and that's helped greatly by being able to work on your own bike at home, IMO.

The buyer group I sell my complete bikes to is very small: tall people that are 6'3" and over, as that is what I ride as I am 6'5". That group tends to not be too affected by the seasons as anything decent and well-equipped for $300-500 gets their interest. I have noticed that an STI/Ergo-equipped bike will generate more interest and sell more quickly than one without. That, to me, is a big sign of the times, but it is understandable.

My brothers have a few of my vintage bikes that I gave to them, and they really like them, even if they aren't ridden much. It doesn't help that they live on a busy 4-lane street in a hillier town--a town that we grew up in and that now, I would really dislike riding in due to the fact that there is next to no flat road for anything over a 1/4 to 1/2 a mile anywhere! Cyclists are out there and welcomed, but man I thought Seattle was a little annoying...haha.

C&V roadies of primarily '80s vintage are safe with this young guy. I'll happily keep the flame lit.
Old 10-06-18, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Limongi SuperRecord, Chesini Precision, Gilmour Nuovo Record, Waterford Special Super Record, Schwinn Supersport, Tempo, Peloton Carbon, 1974 Paramount, 1974 Paramount1971 Paramount, Guerciotti Nuovo Record, Martelly Diamant Super Record

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
Good price for mid-upper mid range bikes. Did he sell at that because he felt market was deflated, helped you out, or just didn't know? I can't imagine those bike (if equipped with decent parts and good condition) sitting for long in Tuscon since that is a huge cycling market.
NOthing seems to move here....these appear to be estate sale finds that they couldn't sell.....till I showed up.
Old 10-06-18, 01:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and then there is the Schwinn Tempo in mint condition with 105 all over for 100 bucks too....
Old 10-06-18, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
About 8 years ago is when I got into the hobby. I managed fo buy a few decent bikes(mid-range Bridgestone, Miyata, Ellis Briggs type stuff) for pretty cheap and make a hundred or two after I fixed them up. That’s when I found my nice condition Miyata 912 frame-set for $30. Now I can’t seem to find any good bikes for under $200+(that still need going through) and anything I personally want for under ~$400. I’d like to know where you guys are looking that the prices have gone down. I’ve been looking to replace my old Miyata(frame was too big) and the higher end Miyatas on CL are priced at $400-1000.
Old 10-06-18, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Campy SR stuff had been staying up there.... pedals and brake levers especially, as they are getting really hard to find in good condition, used.... French threaded/sized stuff had fallen in value, by quite a bit and have not sold that well in the last few years now.
Old 10-06-18, 05:23 PM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Years back I used to track the prices of all Bottecchias sold on eBay but I stopped back around 2010. There was a point where prices jumped. I remember having my eye on a red and white Equipe model and that model had been selling for about $900. I bid $1200, thinking I was just about guaranteed to win that auction, probably for a lot less than that. Well, that bike went for $1600 and the prices never came down after that. I have no idea where they are at now. Perhaps that have dropped again. Bottecchia now sells a retro replica bike. I have all the bikes I'll need for a while and the main thing is the cost of restoration. Chrome platers are hard to find and very expensive and I have two frames that need chrome work.
Old 10-06-18, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
The Raleigh was in showroom condition. I've no idea how a bike could be stored so long and look so pristine. Original owner wanted to use it and could not find a bike shop willing to touch it. At all. Again the problem with the bike was initial assembly and this time there were factory errors as well. For starters the carriage bolt from the seat binder was too short. Running the post up and down a few times while starting to work on the bike was enough to strip the bolt, which was engaged by only a few threads. Found an OEM replacement bolt and it was even shorter. No solution but to make a bolt, which has been done. That was done at a bike shop (there are good ones, there are great ones) and they would not take payment. By the time we get new tires (even that has become a comedy of errors) and find all the other problems there will be a few hundred in that bike. How many of us would go to the time and trouble for a Twenty?
me

seatpost clamp shouldn't be a hex head bolt, should be a L-shaped lever screw that doesn't need tools to operate...?

sounds like you've got an early example with clamp bosses brazed to frame tube? Later bikes have a chromed collar clamp that the L screws into; I've straight-swapped these for Quick Release clamp collars on my rider 20s.
Old 10-06-18, 05:43 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I’d like to know where you guys are looking that the prices have gone down.
...northern California SF Bay area and vicinity. I would list some of the deals I've seen recently on what wouild have been $800-1000 bikes that wouild have sold relatively quickly that have been lingering there for months, if not a year or so listed at $600 and under. There is, of course, still some stuff listed pretty high, but the ads are there forever, so the logical assumption is they are not selling.

There really seems to be little rhyme or reason to the listed prices, other than massive confusion about what constitutes a higher end bike..

OTOH, I just saw some guy listing a Schwinn Varsity for over $250. So I guess there's hope for Schwinn Varsity guys.

Edit: But we were probably priced too high in this location for a long time anyway, so it's a natural correction to expect.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 10-06-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
Bottecchia now sells a retro replica bike. I have all the bikes I'll need for a while and the main thing is the cost of restoration. Chrome platers are hard to find and very expensive and I have two frames that need chrome work.
yup nowadays thanks to OH&S & VOC regulations in pretty much impossible to find rechromers or even vintage lacquer enamel paint like was used back in period.... 1st world problem... I'm hearing of ppl exporting these type of jobs to 3rd world places for reworking car parts, but pushbike bits could be too small/fiddly to be worth it.

Retro replicas from the original brandnames probably got into gear about 10/15/20 yrs ago, for many of the hobbies/toys some of us grew up with. At first for some it ignited desire to own the originals which jacked up prices in 2005-2010ish but now the aged kiddies have lost interest, market is flooded with lookalikes & the hobby still remains niche. IMHO in pushbike world it's the BMXes that got retro'd to uncoolness ... brands like a Mongoose, Kuwahara, GT, SE etc etc all guilty.
Old 10-06-18, 07:44 PM
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by jmead11france
and then there is the Schwinn Tempo in mint condition with 105 all over for 100 bucks too....
Dang.
I need my buddy in Tucson to start scouting for me...
Old 10-06-18, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
I think its a shrinking market.

Like you, folks interested in C&V bikes are getting older and may be suffering illnesses that keep them off of bikes. As much as I would like to think I can do this forever, the fact is that is unlikely as I age. And like you, if you can't ride, you lose interest.

And as you pointed out, many of the best C&V heads are now gone from this forum, probably because of age and possible ailments that made them lose interest.

I think C&V might have peaked and we may never see those glory days again.
Sold a bike to a guy in his late 20's today that was a 1989 Trek. He paid $340. And besides the fact that it was a neat bike he wanted it because of it's age.
It's not that buyers are literally dying, it's that they are more savvy than ever, And you have to ship it, or use something other than CL. CL is very weak.
There are so many places to sell things now. Ebay, and CL aren't the only games in town anymore. And there are more vintage bikes than riders.
I have been flipping bikes for 12 years and I rarely have sold a bike to someone over 40. Almost all the buyers are young, and live in the city.
Old 10-06-18, 08:35 PM
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I have noticed in not too recent years past that Recycled Cycles would usually be stripped pretty bare of good used modern and vintage parts by the end of the summer. They also had summer hours that would have them closing at 8pm instead of 7pm. Last year, only Thursday was an 8pm close day. This year, it's 7pm the entire time. This year as well, the vintage parts and cases were well stocked the entire time, and at the end of the summer, they were filled to the gills. Many STI shifters as well.
I was really surprised at how full the bins were with parts - if I had more time last week I would have really been going through them. I'll need to make another trip. Even their boxes of saddles and handlebars were overflowing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.