Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Greg Lemond's 1979 World Championship Race

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Greg Lemond's 1979 World Championship Race

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 04:18 PM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Greatest bike racer the US has ever produced.
Major Taylor. Lon Haldeman. Susan Notorangelo. I get those names without ever being much of a fan of bike racing. The Tour de France isn't the only bike race. Bike racing was much bigger in the US for the 50 years before WW II than it is now, and I expect Major Taylor was not necessarily the best.

I don't mean to take anything away from LeMond. It's just that others deserve consideration as well.
Old 09-19-20, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Major Taylor. Lon Haldeman. Susan Notorangelo. I get those names without ever being much of a fan of bike racing. The Tour de France isn't the only bike race. Bike racing was much bigger in the US for the 50 years before WW II than it is now, and I expect Major Taylor was not necessarily the best.

I don't mean to take anything away from LeMond. It's just that others deserve consideration as well.

And I don't mean to take anything away from the other great racers you mentioned...Major Taylor faced challenges that probably surpass Lemond's hunting accident. But Lemond's palmares go waaay beyond the TdF.
Old 09-19-20, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I was a huge fan of LeMond until he started feuding with Armstrong and then I decided he was just a jealous retired guy. But... we found out that he wasn't just a whiner but right all along. Went back to being a huge fan, again.
oh so you're a repent lance jocker