Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I don't understand the cycling clothes. Help me out, here.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I don't understand the cycling clothes. Help me out, here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 09:09 PM
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadHolland
Hey 3Speed, we couldn't agree with you more. Most Cycling Clothes are cut skin tight and are sized more for european riders then for recreational american cyclists. We are changing that way of thinking at Road Holland....

That's too bad. I actually clicked on your ad the other day and liked what I saw and was looking forward to ordering. Bummer. Maybe you can consider making a "sport" cut as well so those of who haven't eaten ourselves into the shape of "recreational american cyclists" can wear your stuff, too?
Old 10-03-10, 09:09 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
If people want to take clothing technology advice from folks stupid enough to live their lives in the dessert, fine by me.
Dude, not cool.

My bands:
Old 10-03-10, 09:37 PM
I hate carnies

Bikes: Cannodale 2008 CAAD 9. Dura Ace components. Velocity Wheelsets. Selle Italia Carbino Saddle. Richey carbon components

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to ride more that 20 miles at a swift pace cycling outfits are pretty much a must. If cargo shorts and cotton tee shirts feel good to you than you are doing it wrong.

you dont need to be a pro to do it right......You can be an idiot and do it wrong.

Any @sshole can play basketball with sandals on. I just don't want them on my team.

you decide.
Old 10-03-10, 09:49 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12791 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
I play hoops in spandex and rock olde school basketball short-shorts like Dr. J on teh bike!

Sandals? Those are for the ladies!
Old 10-03-10, 10:38 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
Also, most synthetics do NOT breathe worth a crap -- even folks who like them often notice this. Plus they stink something fierce after even minimal wear.
You understand that you're supposed to wash them, right? Out here we have these machines that you put your dirty clothes in then add some stuff we call detergent. Then you twist a knob and in about a half hour, SHAZAM, your clothes are clean. We also have machines that you can put wet clothes in. You turn a knob (not the same knob that you turned on the other machine) and the inside of the machine gets warm and a big drum spins the clothes around. In half an hour or so, SHAZAM, your clothes are dry. It's almost magical.
Old 10-03-10, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not true, and very easy to disprove. Take a 100F day and wear a cotton t-shirt and on another day a polytec-type shirt and ride. The cotton shirt will retain your sweat and cool you (the fibers contract when wet) -- which is exactly why some folks won't use cotton in the winter -- because it pulls heat from the body when it gets wet and can chill you out.

pulling heat = good in hot weather

Cotton is a terrific material in warm/hot weather. I even wear it through the winter, but it's for other reasons.

Also, most synthetics do NOT breathe worth a crap -- even folks who like them often notice this. Plus they stink something fierce after even minimal wear.

There's actually only one thing in that paragraph that is 100% correct - synthetics do dry quickly.
There is a reason the synthetic fabrics were invented and are so popular. If cotton were truly the best fabric to wear to keep cool while exercising, wouldn't the pro athletes wear it?

I've never had a synthetic jersey stink after minimal wear. But then I wash them after every ride.

This makes no sense either. Ever seen people in the Middle East living in the desert wear skin-tight clothes? No. They typically wear extremely loose-fitting white linens and cotton.

Loose clothing cools the body better than tight-fitting clothes.
The people in the loose fitting clothes are not riding bicycles.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 10-03-10, 10:55 PM
I hate carnies

Bikes: Cannodale 2008 CAAD 9. Dura Ace components. Velocity Wheelsets. Selle Italia Carbino Saddle. Richey carbon components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think people hating on proper cycling gear are not riding bicycles
Old 10-04-10, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not true, and very easy to disprove. Take a 100F day and wear a cotton t-shirt and on another day a polytec-type shirt and ride. The cotton shirt will retain your sweat and cool you (the fibers contract when wet) -- which is exactly why some folks won't use cotton in the winter -- because it pulls heat from the body when it gets wet and can chill you out.

pulling heat = good in hot weather

Cotton is a terrific material in warm/hot weather. I even wear it through the winter, but it's for other reasons.

There's actually only one thing in that paragraph that is 100% correct - synthetics do dry quickly.
This makes no sense either. Ever seen people in the Middle East living in the desert wear skin-tight clothes? No. They typically wear extremely loose-fitting white linens and cotton.

Loose clothing cools the body better than tight-fitting clothes.
After this, I'm pretty sure you have no idea of how a quality coolmax t-shirt feels like. You only know the feel of cotton, and you think it's the best thing ever. Fine with me; if you like it that way, keep doing it. I have no intention in arguing with you, because it takes two to argue and I'm simply not interested in that.

I've ridden cotton a lot of years, I wish someone told me earlier about proper cycling clothing. But some people will not listen to good advice simply because it hurts their pride to admit they were wrong. Do as you like, it's all the same to me.
Old 10-04-10, 01:37 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
There is a big difference between a casual ride of less than an hour and say most of the day on the bike. Comfort is the big reason..
The first thing you'll notice is their sweat wicking properties.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by seenloitering
Inappropriately so? Did I just stumble into a temperance meeting?
Quite likely . A friend's wife was wearing baggies.. A hornet flew up adjacent her private areas.. Ouch.. With lycra, that target would have been less vulnerable.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 03:01 AM
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
After this, I'm pretty sure you have no idea of how a quality coolmax t-shirt feels like. You only know the feel of cotton, and you think it's the best thing ever. Fine with me; if you like it that way, keep doing it. I have no intention in arguing with you, because it takes two to argue and I'm simply not interested in that.
You're right I don't. I wear 98% cotton - and every once in a great while merino wool - which also breathes well.

I also have some polypro, and polyester stuff impregnated with silver, supposedly to reduce stench via anti-bacterial properties.

There is a big difference between a casual ride of less than an hour and say most of the day on the bike. Comfort is the big reason..
The first thing you'll notice is their sweat wicking properties.
The implication here being that no one on a bike rides long distances and wears normal clothing. I commute 30 miles daily and ride centuries, usually in t-shirts and/or button-down cotton shirts. A lot of people ride extensively in very normal clothing -- high-tech materials seem to be a trend of affluent U.S. riders, where, contrary to your implication, folks who ride only on weekends and even shorter distances than you're describing wear it.

But some people will not listen to good advice simply because it hurts their pride to admit they were wrong. Do as you like, it's all the same to me.
Kind of like how some people are pulled into marketing hype and waste money on things they don't really need for a very simple activity.

I agree with your last sentence though.

Last edited by TurbineBlade; 10-04-10 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 03:04 AM
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i think people hating on proper cycling gear are not riding bicycles
Ever been to China or Amsterdam?

This is a very ignorant statement.

Presenting the idea that people must or even should purchase expensive, plastic clothing to ride bicycles is a joke.

Done -- have at it you space-costume wearing goofballs!

Last edited by TurbineBlade; 10-04-10 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 03:14 AM

One should not make judgments about the choices of others. We wear what makes us comfortable.. Being prudy does not make one comfortable.. When one is hunched over your drop bars, it's not as if one is wearing a skimpy bikini at the Wall Mart. Wear what is comfortable and keep one's nose out of what does not involve you..
In Amsterdam, that is mostly a commuter town. I did a 15 minute ride across town, I'd just wear jeans too. Head out to the Dutch country-side for those longer rides, I'll assure you the Dutch are not at all reluctant to wear bike clothes..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 04:13 AM
I hate carnies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of like how some people are pulled into marketing hype and waste money on things they don't really need for a very simple activity.
When I get on the bike I try to not make it a simple activity. Like I said, where what you want to where when commuting. If you want to cycle over 20 miles (for me that would be speeds of 20 mph avg and up) with comfort I would suggest newcomers to bow to conformity. If I saw a guy show up to our club ride with work gloves and cargo shorts I would probably laugh but would still accept them for who they are. He/she may still be a solid rider. However, at mile 74 it would suck when your crotch was rubbed raw. Somebody said earlier that they would switch shirts if they sweated through it. On a road bike where would you keep this things? The group is not going to wait for you to swap shirts. The more I think about it, those that choose to not conform here are commuters. What if i told commuters that fenders were unnecessary. The black line that goes up your back is a normal thing and fenders are just there so they can charge you more money. In fact, square wheels are a sign that you are fighting the power! Lol...round wheels.

Last edited by indybiker01; 10-04-10 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 04:59 AM

One think I notice. When doing non bike activities and not wearing bike wicking clothes, the heat gets to me much faster than when on the bike wearing my bike clothes.. When wearing my bike jersey I hardly notice the inconvenience of sweat saturated clothes.. But, when out in the street wearing street clothes it's horrible.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 05:46 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indybiker01
If you are going to ride more that 20 miles at a swift pace cycling outfits are pretty much a must.
No - they may be a "must" for you, but not for everyone. Why is 20 miles your magic number...what happens at 20 miles that all of the sudden automagically makes cycling-specific clothing a "must"? I've done centuries and double centuries in bibs/jerseys AND in non-spandex shorts, wool boxers, and poly/climalite/driFit/etc shirts...and sandals. I've actually reverted back to the latter...I find I am more comfortable over the long haul.

Unless I am some kind of cycling GOD (rather than just a regular god), the moral of the story is WEAR WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU..which may or may not be what the rest of the herd is wearing.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 10-04-10 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 05:50 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
You understand that you're supposed to wash them, right? Out here we have these machines that you put your dirty clothes in then add some stuff we call detergent. Then you twist a knob and in about a half hour, SHAZAM, your clothes are clean. We also have machines that you can put wet clothes in. You turn a knob (not the same knob that you turned on the other machine) and the inside of the machine gets warm and a big drum spins the clothes around. In half an hour or so, SHAZAM, your clothes are dry. It's almost magical.
Funny how that works. Maybe that's why my synthetic shirts have lasted years and my wife hasn't thrown them away because they stink. Ya think?

Originally Posted by CbadRider
Actually, I prefer looser fitting shirts or jerseys when it's really hot and/or humid.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-04-10, 06:08 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
One think I notice. When doing non bike activities and not wearing bike wicking clothes, the heat gets to me much faster than when on the bike wearing my bike clothes.. When wearing my bike jersey I hardly notice the inconvenience of sweat saturated clothes.. But, when out in the street wearing street clothes it's horrible.
But not only bike clothes are made with wicking materials and for athletic purposes.
Old 10-04-10, 07:11 AM

chip......i have 2 sweat wicking tee shirts made by Nashbar..Without the 3 pockets in the backside....
. Maybe, it's the fit or what ever.? . or The blend of materials... . It's labeled sweat wicking materials. But, it's just not the same.. Maybe it's the snugness of bike jersey's that facilitate moisture transfer.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Last edited by cyclezealot; 10-04-10 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 07:20 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
chip......i have 2 sweat wicking tee shirts made by Nashbar..Without the 3 pockets in the backside....
. Maybe, it's the fit or what ever.? . or The blend of materials... . It's labeled wicking material. But, it's just not the same.. Maybe it's the snugness of bike jersey's that facilitate moisture transfer.
I dunno, I like looser shirts/jerseys when its really hot or humid. My current favorites for warm weather in general are the Adidas Climacool/Climalite stuff.

I only need jersey pockets when on the road bike, the rest of my bikes have racks and/or handlebar bags
Old 10-04-10, 08:06 AM

my jersey's are snug , but not skin tight.. it would seem moisture would find their way through wicking material faster should that material be in closer proximity to your skin. My Nashbar tee's flop about like bed sheet's on a clothes line. I don't like bike jerseys too tight or too loose. Either way it's annoying.. About 75% of my rides are on my road bikes.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 10-04-10, 08:39 AM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
You understand that you're supposed to wash them, right?
Synthetics do start to stink before the end of a ride sometimes, if it's a longer one.
Old 10-04-10, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I start to stink before the end of a long ride. The clothes matter not.
Old 10-04-10, 08:48 AM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I start to stink before the end of a long ride. The clothes matter not.
Try wool.
Old 10-04-10, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by garage sale GT
Synthetics do start to stink before the end of a ride sometimes, if it's a longer one.
BO stinks no matter what material they saturate.. It 's just a matter of how clammy that b.o makes one feel.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.